North Cranford

M.I.B

• RMweb Premium

With floors in and "headboards" fitted, (which have had the two part buffers fitted), it was time to add the chain pockets on the sides. 

Again, double brownie points for those who saw that one was fitted with chain pockets before I made the basic wagon.  Not part of the usual build format, and now I know why.  Follow the instructions..........

At last I had the basic shape,only needing to add a choice of brake lever styles and stanchions  (load restraining poles).

post-10306-0-93055800-1490552033.jpg

I tested out the brush cleaner, 

post-10306-0-06768100-1490552044.jpg

Some may have seen a post I made a while ago about how I paint GWR Grey - I have a number of pots of Humbrol M67, to which I add various quantities of black, and then mark the pots accordingly.  ""Dark"   or "V Dark" or sometimes by the number of "++" which I add.  There is also a Revell grey which I use for GWR grey.  Thay also gets "tinted" and renamed.  So to make sure I can patch paint, I usually add my unique paint code underneath.

Saying that, a "patch paint" never went amiss anywhere, much like military equipment, so an all over single shade was highly inlikely.  I am never afraid to touch up missed bits with a different shade, or even deliberately paint some repairs in in a different hue.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

On the "Home Straight" as far as construction goes.

Firstly, I filed the "raised" edges of the top platforms until they were correctly flat.  Draper files and an emery board used.

post-10306-0-29743600-1490553093.jpgpost-10306-0-14339300-1490553104.jpg

Handbrake levers were fitted, along with chain pockets on the other 2 wagons, and then stanchions.

post-10306-0-14339300-1490553104.jpgpost-10306-0-10537800-1490553114.jpg

Job done.

post-10306-0-52037300-1490553078.jpg

Next - paint, lettering and logos, then add some chaired sleepers to hide a few "crimes".

With very best wishes from the Middle East.................

post-10306-0-96808600-1490553123.jpg

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 5

Hi MIB,

Very nice job on these quite difficult kits! I remember it being a bit of a swine when I assembled little No. 100682 and you have had the very same problems I did! I have a few little chains and shackles to put on and we are good for a post on my Little Didcot thread. There are no build pictures of mine as I did it a fair while ago but I don't enjoy doing the little chains as it is a bit fiddly and as 'wise' men say, why do today what you can put off for tomorrow and then ignore for a fair while? I had a look for the chain at Alexandra Palace today but couldn't find any so there's another excuse... I look forward to seeing the finished job good sir - it's well worth it for such an unusual prototype!

All the best,

Castle

• RMweb Premium

You weren't wrong about that website for buying shackles.  It wins an award for being the least customer friendly website ever.  Shame because their products look great - at least the ones you can find on the site do.

• RMweb Premium

Hi MIB,

Very nice job on these quite difficult kits! I remember it being a bit of a swine when I assembled little No. 100682 and you have had the very same problems I did! I have a few little chains and shackles to put on and we are good for a post on my Little Didcot thread. There are no build pictures of mine as I did it a fair while ago but I don't enjoy doing the little chains as it is a bit fiddly and as 'wise' men say, why do today what you can put off for tomorrow and then ignore for a fair while? I had a look for the chain at Alexandra Palace today but couldn't find any so there's another excuse... I look forward to seeing the finished job good sir - it's well worth it for such an unusual prototype!

All the best,

Castle

I once got some suitable chain from a jewellers.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

I think it was New Year’s Day 2017, and someone posted a link to a YouTube video on Robin’s inspirational ANTB pages.  It was called something simple like “Inside an Engine Shed” and it showed so great shots of OOC in the 1940s, inside the roundhouses and also on the outside roads.

One shot was of a mogul shunting the crane, its match truck, its jib runner and Stokes bogies back onto the van and coach of the breakdown train.  The match truck looks very much like an OPEN C, which was probably used for extra coal for the crane, strops and chain, and who knows what else?

What is remarkable is that the wagon, with its allocation lettering, still carries the larger style of GW letters, showing that it hasn’t been shopped for a long time.  It was probably lower use that its fellow wagons from the same batch.

With Bachmann’s steam crane around the corner…………and on my wish list, I thought it appropriate to make a change to one of the scratch built OPEN C approximations I made some years ago.  Chassis were altered  Hornby TTAs I think, catle trucks or the 20t steel sided minerals,  with the vacuum cylinder snipped off.  Floors and sides were scribed plasti-card.  Strapping and hinges and corners are cut from brass strips in a kit from some long forgotten supplier.

Over time one of the sides on the model has bowed in a little which gives the wagon a very ”used” look for 1947-ish, so I added to this by giving it a hasty overpaint with Revell M78 – very different to the base shade which I originally used.  The bowing may be caused by pressure from an elastic band round the tissue paper and the bubble wrap in which all of my unboxed stock is stored.  So when I get home, I will perhaps change the method of keeping the bubble wrap in place – perhaps a sellotape “tab”?

post-10306-0-53367600-1490794951.jpg

HMRS supplied the lettering for the branding, number “16”s and the “Match Truck”, but there no “Crane” or abbreviated “Number” as per the prototype.  So “Cae Harris”  “Moat Lane” and “Neath” were chopped up and applied. 

post-10306-0-10986600-1490794983.jpg

The YouTube vid showed that there was no visible wagon number which I thought odd, but made life easier for me.  “Match Truck” looks odd in the centre, and mid way up the side, but that’s where it was on the prototype.

post-10306-0-51670000-1490794960.jpg

A heap of coal, a shovel, and two lengths of chain were added.  

post-10306-0-96705300-1490795109.jpg

I may try adding a sleeper or two once this has been through the weathering shop.  Smiths "Instanter" couplings will also be added as the breakdown train will all be permanently coupled - no tension locks other than the one on the front vehicle, which I believe is the lead Stokes bogie.

This was the OPEN C which donated the resin sleeper load.  Further research has showed me that the sleeper loads were indeed carried longitudinally on T1 and T2 sleeper carriers, so I will dig it out and fettle it to fit the sleeper carriers, which took their first trip to the paint shop last night.

On the day when the UK delivered  the big "Dear John" letter, ….I hope you are happy and healthy.

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I think it was New Year’s Day 2017, and someone posted a link to a YouTube video on Robin’s inspirational ANTB pages.  It was called something simple like “Inside an Engine Shed” and it showed so great shots of OOC in the 1940s, inside the roundhouses and also on the outside roads.

One shot was of a mogul shunting the crane, its match truck, its jib runner and Stokes bogies back onto the van and coach of the breakdown train.  The match truck looks very much like an OPEN C, which was probably used for extra coal for the crane, strops and chain, and who knows what else?

What is remarkable is that the wagon, with its allocation lettering, still carries the larger style of GW letters, showing that it hasn’t been shopped for a long time.  It was probably lower use that its fellow wagons from the same batch.

With Bachmann’s steam crane around the corner…………and on my wish list, I thought it appropriate to make a change to one of the scratch built OPEN C approximations I made some years ago.  Chassis were altered  Hornby TTAs I think, with the vacuum cylinder snipped off.  Floors and sides were scribed plasti-card.  Strapping and hinges and corners are cut from brass strips in a kit from some long forgotten supplier.

Over time one of the sides on the model has bowed in a little which gives the wagon a very ”used” look for 1947-ish, so I added to this by giving it a hasty overpaint with Revell M76 – very different to the base shade which I originally used.  The bowing may be caused by pressure from an elastic band round the tissue paper and the bubble wrap in which all of my unboxed stock is stored.  So when I get home, I will perhaps change the method of keeping the bubble wrap in place – perhaps a sellotape “tab”?

attachicon.gif001.JPG

HMRS supplied the lettering for the branding, number “16”s and the “Match Truck”, but there no “Crane” or abbreviated “Number” as per the prototype.  So “Cae Harris”  “Moat Lane” and “Neath” were chopped up and applied. 

attachicon.gif004.JPG

The YouTube vid showed that there was no visible wagon number which I thought odd, but made life easier for me.  “Match Truck” looks odd in the centre, and mid way up the side, but that’s where it was on the prototype.

attachicon.gif002.JPG

A heap of coal, a shovel, and two lengths of chain were added.  

attachicon.gif005.JPG

I may try adding a sleeper or two once this has been through the weathering shop.  Smiths "Instanter" couplings will also be added as the breakdown train will all be permanently coupled - no tension locks other than the one on the front vehicle, which I believe is the lead Stokes bogie.

This was the OPEN C which donated the resin sleeper load.  Further research has showed me that the sleeper loads were indeed carried longitudinally on T1 and T2 sleeper carriers, so I will dig it out and fettle it to fit the sleeper carriers, which took their first trip to the paint shop last night.

On the day when the UK delivered  the big "Dear John" letter, ….I hope you are happy and healthy.

Yunker almost said " missing you already"  :scratchhead:

Nice wagon 

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Camera shows that a later "W" is visible on one side.  So I will scalpel that off and repaint just that panel before weathering..

Camera does highlight some unseen sins at times.

• RMweb Premium

With all those BMWs, VWs, Skodas, Audis and Mercs to sell us, Frau Merkel is unlikely to put trade conditions on us.

So we will proably end up in a better place in a little time when the panic and moaning stops.

• RMweb Premium

I have meant to see what time constraints I have placed upon myself with my choice of engines.

The general setting was always "late 40s" and I have shied away from County Tanks, and 4-4-0 Counties, and wanted the late GW stock such as 94XXs and 1000 Counties.

But I also wanted the oddities, which we now know were common, such as black engines, and unlined 4-6-0s, and at least one oil burner, and un-named Halls......

And I have deliberately ignored the facts, such as the introductions of most Hawksworth coaches being in BR(W) days.......

And this is where the "watershed" moment happens when I add naming dates in, and conversion dates etc:

6959 Peatling Hall

Built Mar 44  Named Dec 46

Built Sep 42.  Named Fledburgh Hall Mar 47. 

So the answer to my conundrum is that the date for the setting of NC can either be Mid 40s - Feb 46 but I have to omit the use of the 94XXs, County of Worcestershire, and Haberfield Hall as an oil burner.

and if the black un-named Hall stops visiting from Bristol, it's summer 1947.

That's an itch I have been meaning to scratch for a while, but never had the time when there wasn't something better to do.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Decisions Decisions!

Granby started in early 1947 but over the years got edged back to April/May 1948 which is now pretty much set in stone (light and dark!). The Hawksworth coaches just squeeze in (although not the van)........not sure about the 94xx.

I believe I only need a couple of locos in the provisional "British Railways" logo.......I think it establishes a noticeable time stamp .

I do agree, having a defined date certainly helps when renumberiing/renaming locos. I have just started painting the Black Hall that is essential for both out time periods.  I may have asked you this before......should the Safety valve cover and splasher trims be painted black?

I had intended to rename her 6941 Fillongley Hall ......built un-named 1942 and named 1946 .....shedded at Chester 1950...... but as I typed this I had a nasty sinking feeling that when the unnamed Halls were named after the war it would probably coincide with a repaint to all over green? I may have to shuffle the name plates I have just bought! 

Cheers

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have three or four Hawksworth full brakes, and they don't fit in,unless I apply Rule1.  One day when the 7 half finished full brakes are running I may retire the Hawksworths, but at the time it was the only way to get full brakes without soldering and the process  of putting brass sides onto RTR bodies.  And the remaining 7 are still in the crate looking very sorry for themselves as long term readers will know.There's always something better to do than to start correcting these.

Your black Hall should be all over black, and use the "G**W" logos.  No brass polished anywhere.

From my limited research, late naming seems to have happened at the same time as a shop visit - a conversion etc.  So a wartime built Hall would probably either be black and un-named or unlined green and named.

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hmmmmmmmm  ponder ponder ponder.    Considering adding a second Grange.  Unlined. One on a visit from somewhere not too far away - perhaps Westbury Shed, or Banbury........Or up from Salisbury with some milk in tow for Vauxhall.

(That's pushed the price of used Granges up on Ebay - the prices of anything always seem to go up when I am pondering)

Last Autumn I did have a small clear out via Ebay which has paid for the Bachmann crane, which is on pre-order now.

There are one or two items at Home pending sale upon my next return, so I think I will purchase that good used Grange.

As the Brenters know;   "AGNO"   and I agree.

Edited by M.I.B

• RMweb Premium

My sole Grange- Yiewsley, is black.

The next one would be unlined green.

Edited by M.I.B

• RMweb Premium

Very close indeed - well spotted Bish. 

Although during the late 40s YG was a Chester shedded engine.

Southall, NC, H&H, then W Drayton (Yiewsley) then Iver then Langley (where M.I.B Snr heard something mighty odd and powerful pulling out of London, and Duke of Gloucester appeared.....)

• RMweb Gold

My sole Grange- Yiewsley, is black.

The next one would be unlined green.

In that case I'd suggest a plane green with 4000gl tender would be a bit different, given the only GWR granges you tend to see on layouts seem to have the churchward tender (given that is the only version Hornby have bothered releasing.)

I've gone for a green GWR churchward and a black 3500 collett so far, but I do keep thinking about buying a BR green example with the 4000gl tender to remove the lining / respray plain green

But need to sort out a black Hall, a 43xx and a bulldog first...

• RMweb Premium

I agree with your choice - I have my eye on a BR 4000 gallon tendered one.   A quick polish off of the decals with a fibreglass pen, whip the smokebox number off, and airbrush it a matt tired green and leave it unlined.

I like to have have a couple of spare tenders - Maindy Hall will run with a Hawksworth one as it did during this period, so there is one green spare to lurk on shed, and of course the black tender from 6944 will make a good piece of scenery on shed when 6944 runs with it's green tender as it did.

• RMweb Premium

Very close indeed - well spotted Bish.

My daughter lives two minutes walk from West Drayton (and Yiewsley!) Station, and until very recently taught at Cranford. She couldn't get to work by train, however.

I too have a Yiewsley Grange but green and with the SS insignia shirtbutton roundel on the tender.

• RMweb Gold

I agree with your choice - I have my eye on a BR 4000 gallon tendered one.   A quick polish off of the decals with a fibreglass pen, whip the smokebox number off, and airbrush it a matt tired green and leave it unlined.

I like to have have a couple of spare tenders - Maindy Hall will run with a Hawksworth one as it did during this period, so there is one green spare to lurk on shed, and of course the black tender from 6944 will make a good piece of scenery on shed when 6944 runs with it's green tender as it did.

When was Maindy Hall with the Hawksworth tender (and was it lined...) 

You have caught my interest.....

• RMweb Gold

I have three or four Hawksworth full brakes, and they don't fit in,unless I apply Rule1.  One day when the 7 half finished full brakes are running I may retire the Hawksworths, but at the time it was the only way to get full brakes without soldering and the process  of putting brass sides onto RTR bodies.  And the remaining 7 are still in the crate looking very sorry for themselves as long term readers will know.There's always something better to do than to start correcting these.

Your black Hall should be all over black, and use the "G**W" logos.  No brass polished anywhere.

From my limited research, late naming seems to have happened at the same time as a shop visit - a conversion etc.  So a wartime built Hall would probably either be black and un-named or unlined green and named.

Thanks Tinker

That was why I bought my Hawksworth Brakes although I am very happy with the K40 Mallard helped me build......I should really try another one on my own this time. I think the reason my Hawksworths stand out is that they are the longest vans in any of my trains and are too pristine........I need to do more weathering and I am tempted to add a Great Western decal.

I am in two minds about the brass on the Black Hall......it seems so obvious as a WWII measure......and yet Rich's Grange does look rather nice with the trim......as does a splendid shot of a Black Manor with brass trim and war time GWR on the GWR org site. I read somewhere that some of the more traditional GWR crew accidentally polished the paint off thus exposing the original surface. Lot of ex servicemen at Granby shed....maybe I will invent a similar legend.

Whatever the trim my Black Hall (ex Hornby railroad bargain) will now be renamed Barton Hall built 1928  and the Fillongley Hall plates can go on Kinlet Hall which has just lost its lining.........almost screwed up there.....thank you.

Cheers

John

• RMweb Gold

Hmmmmmmmm  ponder ponder ponder.    Considering adding a second Grange.  Unlined. One on a visit from somewhere not too far away - perhaps Westbury Shed, or Banbury........Or up from Salisbury with some milk in tow for Vauxhall.

(That's pushed the price of used Granges up on Ebay - the prices of anything always seem to go up when I am pondering)

Last Autumn I did have a small clear out via Ebay which has paid for the Bachmann crane, which is on pre-order now.

There are one or two items at Home pending sale upon my next return, so I think I will purchase that good used Grange.

As the Brenters know;   "AGNO"   and I agree.

A Grange never offends........go for it!

I think they were one of the best locos Hornby produced. Both mine are super runners and have far better hauling capacity than either the Hornby or Bachmann Halls

Having seen Rich's shot I am very tempted to look out for a black one

Cheers

John