Anglia class 24s

russ p

• RMweb Gold

As I understand it 24s worked in East Anglia until 1967 but I have never seen a picture of one in blue or green with full yellow ends. Have I got my dates wrong or have I just not seen a picture to prove otherwise

Russ

• RMweb Premium

As I understand it 24s worked in East Anglia until 1967 but I have never seen a picture of one in blue or green with full yellow ends. Have I got my dates wrong or have I just not seen a picture to prove otherwise

Russ

Hi Russ

Like you I cannot recall seeing a blue Sulzer Bo-Bo or even one with full yellow ends in any of my books covering East Anglia's railways. Some did make into two tone green and most of the green ones had visited the works and returned with Crewe square corned yellow panels inplace of the nice ER round top panels with the green line between the yellow and the white lining. It may be because most had a general overhall just before the intoduction of the blue livery they were at the back of the line to be repainted. Full yellow ends did not get into full stride until 1967 so again they could have been transfered before someone opened the yellow paint pot.

If it is any help, I believe there were 24's allocated to Stratford (which would of course have workings to East Anglia, and correspondingly, this would surely mean that other former GE depots would have had them too) until at least 1963.

I seem to recall being told that all the Sulzer based T2's were removed from Stratford in an exchange for 31's. I would suggest that would be 63-64 era when the 30's were rebuilt as 31's.

I don't know for certain but it might point you in the right direction.

Russ

Have a look at "Diesels in East Anglia" by Dr Ian Allen.

Fig 3   D5049, next to J19 64643 and taken in 1960 at Norwich shed.

Fig 17 Class 30 D5544 piloting Class 24 D5036 at Wickham Market in September 1959.

Fig 40 D5037 at Wickham market in September 1966

Fig 41 D5045 on a Peterborough to Parkeston Quay train. 

There are at least another eight photos of the class in East Anglia in the book; some with the yellow warning others without.

Dr Allen states fourteen of the class went to Ipswich when built in 1959 and performed various duties for the next eight or nine years.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Hi Derek

The Ian Allan locoshed book for autumn 1966 has D5036 to D5049 allocated to Ipswich shed.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the last 24s left Ipswich in 67, I've seen a lot of pictures of them in two tone green but never blue. Mind the ER seemed a bit reluctant to blue as none of the BTH class 15s ever received in spite of lasting until 1971

Hi Clive

I am going based upon my Dad's old work books (he was based at Stratford depot from mid 60's until late 70's) as he didn't pass out on the 24's, but did pass out on 30's, so I assume that means that at that point the 24's had left any Liverpool St./ Stratford working- or at the very least wasn't expected to carry on much longer.

Normally depots in a region have similar loco types for crew familiarity, but that isn't a guarantee. As I said, I am going on the paperwork my Dad left- most of it is fairly intact from that era but I wouldn't want to guarantee that it reflects what was actually there. For example (and I can't tell you the exact year without going to look) he passed out on 33's as well- although Stratford/Anglia didn't have any at al, but they came in on "foreign" workings and they had to have some crews trained on them, so training records don't guarantee loco allocations.

Derek

Hi Derek

The Ian Allan locoshed book for autumn 1966 has D5036 to D5049 allocated to Ipswich shed.

• RMweb Gold

Most of the pictures in Dr Allen's book they seem to be around Suffolk, so maybe it was mainly Ipswich men that signed them. I know some Norwich men signed 25s for summer Saturday trains but not sure if any signed 24s

• RMweb Premium

24/25's must have appeared around Ely at some point, as a few of the older bobby's down here recall that they were b*oody useless at pulling themselves along, let alone a train........

Andy G

Russ,

Dr Allen was a GP in Suffolk, hence a lot of his material is from his local area.

See also JD Mann book "Aspects of East Anglian Diesels - The early Years Part 1",

• Shenfield:  D5032 down excursion 1st August 1960 loco all green
  • Capel (Hadleigh branch) crossing A12: D5039 dated 1959 

"Diesels on the Eastern" by Michael Welch and Terry Phillips, has a colour photo of D5041 at Framlingham Station on a short goods in April 1965 (green loco yellow panel)

"Railways of East Anglia" by John Jennison & Tony Sheffield includes a photo of  D5062 (all green) photographed in May 1960 at Elsenham on the Cambridge line. This loco went new to March, but was soon moved onto Longsight on the LMR.

Paul

24/25's must have appeared around Ely at some point, as a few of the older bobby's down here recall that they were b*oody useless at pulling themselves along, let alone a train........

Andy G

In 1967 at least they appeared occasionally on 1E51 which was the SO 0812 Leeds / 0745 Bradford to Yarmouth, and 1N11 the 1002 Yarmouth to Leeds/Bradford. Given the timings of these trains, the eastbound loco must have come off the train at either Ely and March and swapped over to the westbound service.

So, if this was at Ely, the staff would have just enough time to look at the red hot exhaust ports, before the loco departed from whence it came.

• RMweb Premium

Did the 24s leaving Ipswich (and East Anglia) coincide with the depot losing it's locomotive allocation?  I say that because I remember looking at a 31 in about 1968 with '32B' stencilled on the side, but 32B wasn't shown in our Locoshed books.....

• RMweb Premium

Hi Steve

From Wikipeadia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipswich_engine_shed

The depot was closed on 1968 with fuelling facilities for locomotives being provided at Ipswich railway station. The last diesel locomotive - a Class 15 - underwent maintenance at the depot on 5 May 1968

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Clive, evidently not then - apologies for the sidetrack! When I started spotting in 1968 24s weren't to be seen in East Anglia; in fact they were also rare at Bedford and Bletchley and we had to go as far as somewhere like Crewe to see them!

My 1967 ABC shed book shows ER allocations at November 1966. D5036 to D5049 are shown allocated to 32B Ipswich. The 1968 shed book shows ER allocations at 21st October 1967 with the whole of D5000 - D5049 moved to D05 Stoke Division.

I saw D5038/44 at Cambridge on 19/2/67, D5042 at Stratford 23/7/67, so that may narrow the transfer date to sometime between then and 21/10/67.

My 1967 ABC shed book shows ER allocations at November 1966. D5036 to D5049 are shown allocated to 32B Ipswich. The 1968 shed book shows ER allocations at 21st October 1967 with the whole of D5000 - D5049 moved to D05 Stoke Division.

I saw D5038/44 at Cambridge on 19/2/67, D5042 at Stratford 23/7/67, so that may narrow the transfer date to sometime between then and 21/10/67.

BR Database says August 67 for all of D5036 to D5049 except D5040 which went to Bletchley in January 66.

Archived