Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

O14 chassis for a Wrighlines Baldwin 4-6-0

I would accept that level of instructions- a few photos (as what you've put on here, in fact) and a parts list would be enough to make a start. I'll get on with assembling some of the wagon kits I've scraped together in the meantime. 5 chassis etches for me please, in the hope I can add a Joan and Hummy to my Bridget, Guy and Peggy.

Ben

• 7 months later...

Very nice indeed Mike.

Did you take any photos of the motor & gearbox fitting?

All the best,

Dave.

Only the photo in post 17, the gearbox is a High Level 54:1 slimliner + with a D3 drive extender, the motor is a Mashima 1428

The drive extender runs forward and up at an angle with the gearbox vertical in the firebox

The motor is in the boiler with an amount of metal carved out to accommodate it.

I hope this is helpful

I really need to crack on with another of these and get a production version sorted once my available spare time increases a bit

Cheers

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Mike.

The photo in post 17 only shows the body in place, I can't see the gearbox, so you've made an excellent job of hiding the drive!  

That's pretty much how I motorised my two; the first one had an RG4 with a rebuilt gearbox, the second one a Branchlines Multibox (WITHOUT the drive extender) and a Mashima 1626

The Highlevel Loadhauler-Plus would have been an ideal box, but its too wide for the frames.

I've got another Wrightlines kit that I want to convert into the 2-6-2 version, so that's going to need a lot of work on the frames.

Cheers, Dave.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

So it's been rather too long since I last updated this thread.

I've made a final revision to the artwork for the chassis and put a parts list together

I should be able to put together some basic instructions and a few photos to help with placement of parts soon

I can also list the parts I designed the chassis to work with (most are below)

There are options for things like wheels and crankpins designed in but I've only built a chassis as originally designed

If you are still interested in one or more of these etches (with basic instructions) please let me know and I'll get an idea of costs for a batch

The chassis is designed to be built rigid to 14mm gauge (with washers adding 16.5mm gauge should be possible), with Gibson or Romford driving wheels and crankpins

Bogie wheels are 7mm disks from kbscale

Motor and gearbox is up to personal preference, I used a High Level 54:1 slimliner + with a D3 drive extender, the motor is a Mashima 1428

Valve gear rivets will be needed along with a selection of wire sizes

Thanks

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update with the pricing on the etches.

I've got a quote back from the etching company and it's looking like the cost per chassis etch will be £36 plus postage

If you've expressed an interest in one (or more) chassis please let me know (preferably by PM) if you're still interested and I'll try and work out postage costs depending on destination and number ordered

Thanks for looking in

Regards

Mike

Some time ago I tried emailing cwrailways.com to enquire about the availability of the GVT 3D printed body. I didn't get any answer, I'm wondering if anyone else has been in contact? The body is currently priced at £95 in batches of five.

I have 2 of the CWR prints, but am unlikely to build both any time soon. I have PM'd Mike for one chassis, but if anyone else would like the other body at cost (Which was £95, plus P&P) let me know.  I offered it to Jeff but he is really after the GVT variant with altered cab and chimney etc

I have measured some dimensions, against the drawings in E S Tonks book on the Snailbeach District Railway.  I do have other drawings elsewhere, but havent yet cross referenced to see whether they all agree!

Tank height 29" = 16.92mm.  Measured 17.5mm

Tank length 102.5" = 59.8mm.  Measured 59.65mm

Gap between tanks and cab 23.25" = 13.56mm. Measured 13.8mm

Cab side front section length 28.5" = 16.625mm. Measured 15.8mm

Cab opening (including handrails) 22" = 12.83mm. Measured 13.7mm

Cab side rear section length 24.5" = 14.82mm. Measured 12mm

Cab rear sidesheet height 42.5" = 24.79mm. Measured 24.62mm

Chimney to sand box centres 30" = 17.5mm. Measured 17.8mm

Sand box to dome centres 36" = 21mm. Measured 21mm

Tank width 19" = 11.08mm. Measured 11.4mm

Cab back width 78" = 45.5mm. Measured 45.5mm

Rear bufferbeam height 18" = 10.5mm. Measured 10.54mm

Cab roof width over eaves 83" = 48.42mm. Measured 50.1mm

Cab height footplate to centre of roof 76" = 44.3mm. Measured 46.2mm.

Front bufferbeam height 12" = 7mm. Measured 8.8mm

Front bufferbeam width 61" = 35.58mm. Measured 35.23mm

post-130-0-86647700-1493277415_thumb.jpg

post-130-0-32084600-1493277417_thumb.jpg

post-130-0-78056900-1493277420_thumb.jpg

post-130-0-29093900-1493277423_thumb.jpg

post-130-0-79820600-1493277424_thumb.jpg

post-130-0-38293500-1493277426_thumb.jpg

post-130-0-01072000-1493277430_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

A quick update.

I've taken delivery of a batch of etches and I'm working on a parts list and some basic instructions .

I'll be in touch with everyone who's expressed an interest over the next few days to sort out delivery details.

One minor issue that has cropped up is that a few holes on a couple of parts haven't etched properly, although there are mirrored parts that can be used to help drill out the holes in most cases.

I think I can also cover U.K. delivery in the price, for those of you overseas it'll depend whereabouts you are but the cost will come down by the same amount

Cheers

Mike

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

A quick note to those of you I haven't contacted yet, it's time consuming packing the chassis so I'm contacting people a few at a time

If anyone hasn't yet expressed an interest and would like to there's still plenty of time as I need to order a second batch of etches soon to meet the demand

The support for what started as a personal project has been overwhelming and I'd like to thank everyone for their interest in my work.

Regards

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Are there any of these chassis etches left. I have acquired in a job lot of other stuff a complete Wrightlines kit. I was going to sell it on as I understand they fetch a descent price but I may well keep it if a descent chassis is available.

Jerry 

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mike,

I can't remember if I definitely said I would like one?  If I didn't, please add me.

Many thanks, Dave.

Are there any of these chassis etches left. I have acquired in a job lot of other stuff a complete Wrightlines kit. I was going to sell it on as I understand they fetch a descent price but I may well keep it if a descent chassis is available.

Jerry 

Are you turning to narrow-gauge then Jerry??

• RMweb Gold

Are you turning to narrow-gauge then Jerry??

Hi Dave,

No, its just that it came in a job lot of other stuff I bought and I rather fancy building it. It would live in my cabinet and get the occasional run out on friends layouts.

Jerry

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Jerry

Much as I would like to build it, I have decided that there are already enough locos in my 'one day' pile so have decided to sell my Wrightlines kit. It went on eBay yesterday.

Jerry