Heljan 4mm wagons - need for encouragement?

Matt

• RMweb Gold

Yep, I could do with a dozen black liveried Dogfish as well, I didn't decide that I needed them 'till it was too late !!

I got fed up of trying to source black ones so I bought some others at reasonable prices, got a sheet of Modelmaster transfers and a rattle can.

• RMweb Premium

I got fed up of trying to source black ones so I bought some others at reasonable prices, got a sheet of Modelmaster transfers and a rattle can.

I eventually gave up and got the pack with two black and two olive, and sold the olive ones to a friend.  Luckily Hornby introduced their Trout in black livery (two versions) so I was able to make up a short ballast train!

More black Dogfish would be welcome, though.

A VEA would be nice if no-one else seems inclined to do a decent model of it. Bachmann announced one over ten years ago then it was quietly dropped.

Probably dropped as the chassis is unique unless you would be happy just to have a Vanwide in the livery, as they have shown that the chassis does not count on the MSV or Lancashire Steel PSV ( or the body )!

Mark Saunders

Would the chassis be suitable for any of the other airbrake conversions of the short wheelbase vans? (Thinking of things like the VVB) At least though with the VEA there are lots of colourful liveries and they lasted longer than pretty much any of the other older style rolling stock.

Why not build the parkside kit. One of best kits I've built. Builds pretty easy and looks great once done. And most of the paint jobs aren't too hard either. And transfers readily available...

I think Heljan are prepared to mirror the O gauge range with 4mm versions providing the production costs can be brought down by making larger quantities. This probably means that they would concentrate mainly on prototypes that ran in multiples or 'rakes' rather than individual wagons. As previously mentioned,  now the SRP has risen substatially from other manufacturers then it makes their case more viable.................................there are plenty of types that still need producing such as Cemflo, Palbrick, Conflat L, Plate, Single Bolster, Prestwin, 22t.Pallet Van etc....even the Roadrailer could be revitalised as they already do the bogie for the 128 DPU which could be used.

I think interested folk need to keep the 'pestering' mode on for further requests and they are on Facebook and Twitter.

If you want Heljan to produce something then keep on pestering

Totally agree with this "Brush Veteran".

The only issue I have is that the "shrinking / blowing up machine" which Heljan use hasn't always been the most successful in my view.

The 7mm Heljan 47 has some "issues" around the cab windscreens and the gutter and I feel the 31 face is not quite right. Having said that the 31 is a brand new model so shouldn't have been affected by the "machine".!!!

The Catfish and 35T tank would be two really useful additions to the RTR 4mm scene

Because the bit of railway modelling that I hate doing is building/painting locomotives and wagons. Tried it, hated it, decided I much preferred building everything else and leaving the rolling stock RTR.

Fair enough. Have to admit that not a big fan of painting but do enjoy the building part. You could pay someone to build and paint them for you and, with way prices are headed, this could work out similarly priced. You would get them quicker too...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived