Heljan 4mm wagons - need for encouragement?

Matt

Passed by the Heljan stand at glasgow show on the weekend and had a look over their 7mm wagons. Questioned whether they may consider doing the catfish and 35t tank wagon in 4mm and was told by the howes staff to make my interest known to the owner which I did. They were saying he needed some convincing there was demand for these in 4mm. If anyone agrees then could be worth expressing that view to make them more likely to happen...

M

Trouble is with Heljan they will be expensive

I think with the recent round of price increases across the Hornby and Bachmann ranges, the differential just now is probably negligible.  Who could predict what the RRP would be by the time they reach the shelves, of course....

It would be nice to see Heljan produce some more wagons!

As a start the TSV tank proposed for 7mm could be shrunk to 4mm scale as the Airfix kit currently under the custody of Dapol needs to be improved or retired!

The number of hoppers especially iron ore, that could be produced but have been ignored as too complicated would suite Heljan!

Mark Saunders

I'd be personally surprised if there wasn't considerable interest in a 4mm 35 ton tank, considering this type's place in the Pantheon of 4mm wagon modelling. :-)

Some interesting livery options too including the maroon UM tanks of the 1970s.

I am surprised Heljan never followed up their Dogfish with the catfish, the two ran hand in hand all over the network. Yes, there is the Cambrian kit of the catfish, but it isn't the easiest build. So on that note, I'm in for a few catfish.

I'd be personally surprised if there wasn't considerable interest in a 4mm 35 ton tank, considering this type's place in the Pantheon of 4mm wagon modelling. :-)

Some interesting livery options too including the maroon UM tanks of the 1970s.

I have been hoping Bachmann would announce the class B 35t tank. Some United Molasses ones would be very useful on the replacement for Longcarse West. The Airfix/Dapol kit can build into a decent model but being a P4 modeller I find there is so much that needs sorting that I am going to end up only keeping the chassis frame and the tank barrel.

Cheers

David

The IWA Cargowaggon would seem an obvious choice. Has appeal across Europe, prevalent on the railway from the late 80's until today and with a bit of re-work could make a good base for those timber wagons for the Colas Loco's to haul. . . . . . TBH though - I think Heljan have lost interest in the oo gauge and primacy for them is O gauge.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36034969@N08/8741628785/

http://gingespotting.smugmug.com/Wagons/I-TOPSCode/IWA/

Ha ha! Probably right Mike.....

Phil

I wouldn't dream of saying that about your wonderful train set model, Phil...

There was regular molasses traffic to the yeast factory at Avonside Wharf, on the opposite side of the cut to Temple Meads; not sure where it came from, but it could have been Greenock or Liverpool, which could mean it passing Abbotswood.

I think Heljan are prepared to mirror the O gauge range with 4mm versions providing the production costs can be brought down by making larger quantities. This probably means that they would concentrate mainly on prototypes that ran in multiples or 'rakes' rather than individual wagons. As previously mentioned,  now the SRP has risen substatially from other manufacturers then it makes their case more viable.................................there are plenty of types that still need producing such as Cemflo, Palbrick, Conflat L, Plate, Single Bolster, Prestwin, 22t.Pallet Van etc....even the Roadrailer could be revitalised as they already do the bogie for the 128 DPU which could be used.

I think interested folk need to keep the 'pestering' mode on for further requests and they are on Facebook and Twitter.

If you want Heljan to produce something then keep on pestering

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I would be up for some Catfish to go with the Dogfish, a rake of tanks to replace my 35 year old Airfix ones and most of all I wish someone would do a couple of the multitude of Iron Ore Hoppers we used to get through Snow Hill around 1960. Not even a decent kit to bash for those.

I find Heljan are very friendly when you email. I asked would they consider doing the Cargowagon into the timber wagons which Colas Railfreight use. Like other members have suggested here. I strongly encourage you to drop them an email, as they said they would put it into the list of future models.

Heljan@Heljan.dk

I would be up for some Catfish to go with the Dogfish, a rake of tanks to replace my 35 year old Airfix ones and most of all I wish someone would do a couple of the multitude of Iron Ore Hoppers we used to get through Snow Hill around 1960. Not even a decent kit to bash for those.

Yep, I could do with a dozen black liveried Dogfish as well, I didn't decide that I needed them 'till it was too late !!

Archived