RMweb

Heljan O Gauge Class 37 - new versions being discussed

Cliff Williams

Knocks my plans on the head then! Thanks for pointing it out. Back to drawing board. Headlight is a simple matter, grilles maybe not. Part of me wishes you hadn't told me and part of me is grateful....

Jeff

welcome ! it's a minefield i know

plasticard strips might do the trick ?  plus a respraying of the skirts back to yellow

Isn't the elephant in the room those bufferbeam skirts on the models in later liveries? I can't believe more hasn't been made of this issue; many commentators seem to be praising Heljan for this model and ignoring the glaring error(s). I can't help thinking that if this was a 4mm model the criticisms would be absolute scathing. And rightly so.

And the missing rectangular plate at the bottom centre of the nose.  It makes the front look too smooth.  Essential addition for anyone who buys one.

And the missing rectangular plate at the bottom centre of the nose.  It makes the front look too smooth.  Essential addition for anyone who buys one.

I don't know what this is for, but it wasn't on many of the examples when new, appearing more in the blue era looking at pictures. It seems to be accompanied with a horizontal slot in the bottom of the front just beneath it.

The other thing for later era modellers to contemplate is that the small nose side grilles seemed to change to be with one longer than the other. No doubt the aftermarket etchers will provide something in due course. I'm sure roof details varied as well. All in all a minefield, that I'm sure was covered when the 4mm Bachmann and Vitrains examples appeared.

John.

I've test run a few and all have been very smooth at slow speeds using a basic Gaugemaster controller.

Good to know Steve.

Have ordered myself a green FYE version. I assume Heljan don't include a number sheet of transfers for these?

John

quote:

The other thing for later era modellers to contemplate is that the small nose side grilles seemed to change to be with one longer than the other. No doubt the aftermarket etchers will provide something in due course. I'm sure roof details varied as well. All in all a minefield, that I'm sure was covered when the 4mm Bachmann and Vitrains examples appeared.

John.

The change to the nose side grilles came with refurbishment.  The Heljan model is of an unrefurbished 37.  If you want a refurbished 37 there are lots of other things that need changing as well as these grilles.

Edited by D6975

Just managed to get the body off.  2 screws eventually came out with a hell of a struggle - really tight all the way.  The other two I had to drill the heads of the screws off as the screw driver damaged the heads to such an extent they were no longer of any use.  Just phoned Howes and they already know of the problem, so do Tower who had informed Howes.  It seems that the body is not drilled to take the screws but the screws are inserted HOT so that they mould the plastic around the screw as it is forced in.

Howes do not have stock of screws but will order a quantity - should be available in 1/2 weeks.

Norman

No transfers supplied, I've taken the top off one model and the screws are tight.

I've seen this before on OO models, I think they use powered screw drivers and have a tendency to over tighten them.

It is easier to pop the bogie sides off to access the screws.

Pete Harvey has a few detail packs to do a refurbished example, DJH also now offer a detail pack to do the 37/4 and JLTRT do a diesel detailing pack.

Edited by steve fay

No transfers supplied, I've taken the top off one model and the screws are tight.

I've seen this before on OO models, I think they use powered screw drivers and have a tendency to over tighten them.

It is easier to pop the bogie sides off to access the screws.

Pete Harvey has a few detail packs to do a refurbished example, DJH also now offer a detail pack to do the 37/4 and JLTRT do a diesel detailing pack.

Quite right Steve, some of the Bachmann 4mm stuff is dreadful in this respect.

FWIW the chances of success are improved if you ensure your screwdriver head is the right size, and that the ends of the screwdriver that go first into the screw are sharp. I've lightly sharpened one of my screwdrivers and made it a lot more effective, as its harder then for it to slip and spoil the screw head.

John.

Further to the tight screws saga, I wonder if carefully heating the screws with a soldering iron might assist before screwdriver. I realise this might make the screw expand, but might soften the bond with the plastic?

John

You try it, I'll watch... :O ;)

Quite right Steve, some of the Bachmann 4mm stuff is dreadful in this respect.

FWIW the chances of success are improved if you ensure your screwdriver head is the right size, and that the ends of the screwdriver that go first into the screw are sharp. I've lightly sharpened one of my screwdrivers and made it a lot more effective, as its harder then for it to slip and spoil the screw head.

John.

Sorry to go slightly OT, but I've found with the Bachmann 4mm screws that they come out better using a very small flat screwdriver in the crosshead screw; you usually get a perfect sized one in those cheap sets.

7mm model has nose brackets, no aerials, no radiator grilles, boiler port, extra steps half way down the body side, buffer skirts, bogie cables

and no instructions saying "diesel only" on the fuel tanks :-)

the upper body side grey panels looks better though

Edited by daveymills

Br blue arrived from hattons today, well packed and no annoying broken off bits in the box so first impressions very happy, just as well looks like they're almost sold out. I hated br blue when I was a kid, only large logo 50's, the odd large logo 56 and white cab Deltics to break up the dull landscape - but it was brilliant really wish I could go back for an hour on doncaster station.

• Like 1