Lima Class 26 26 004 Dutch Livery & Hornby Class 37

• RMweb Gold

I have a Lima Class 26, in Dutch Livery, 26 004, the same as this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-Gauge-Lima-L205008-Class-26-Loco-26004-Civil-Engineers-Departmental-Dutch-/161612212265?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item25a0d6a829

What is the learned forum's opinion on this model. Is it a good accurate model or not, dimensionally ? If not what needs done to make it more accurate? Are there etches, etc. available that would improve the look of it (fans, grills, etc?) How easy is it to chip it?

I've had this since bought new in the early 1990s (probably 91/92) and it's still boxed, with windscreen wipers still on the sprue. I'm thinking of building a micro layout for it and some sealion wagons.

I also have my very first train set train, Hornby BR Blue Class 37 (31 130? from memory...) and three blue and grey Mk2s. I'll dig them out and post pics. From memory the Class 37 lists due to a plastic cone type thing on the bogie being off centre? This dates from early 80s.

The Loco is like this one, if not the same http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-00-Gauge-BR-Class-37-Diesel-ElectricLocomotive-No-37130-BR-Blue-Livery-/361225318317?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item541ab4efad

Same questions apply: What is the learned forum's opinion on this model. Is it a good accurate model or not, dimensionally? If not what needs done to make it more accurate? Are there etches, etc. available that would improve the look of it (fans, grills, etc?) How easy is it to chip it?

I appreciate these models aren't up to the standard of modern tooling, but just wondering if they can be made to look better...........

All thoughts greatly appreciated.

If that's the going rate for them, it would be easier to sell your Lima loco and buy the Heljan one. The Heljan 26/27's are excellent runners, far better than a Lima one could ever be. I'm not sure how accurate the Heljan 26/27 bodies are but there's always room for improvement, if that's what you want to do.

Having previously owned both makes of that model, I know the Heljan one is superior, especially on a small layout which requires slow speed, smooth running.

As for the 37, get the Bachmann one. Early Bachmann 37's did have some issues with accuracy but the mechanisms are far superior and allow slow smooth running.

Also in favour of new Bachmann and Heljan models is the fact they are DCC ready, so you can in theory just plug in a DCC chip.

Just to give you a glue about improving Lima models, there was a motor made by Model Torque, which was a drop in replacement for the Lima motor. It was much better and quieter (handy for an 87!) but it cost over £20, add that to the value of your Lima 26 and you're almost at Heljan 26 prices.

I'm in a sort of similar position as I'm starting again with a new layout and new stock. Do I buy cheap old Lima/Hornby stuff (and improve it) or newer Bachmann/Heljan stuff. The answer for me is the latter, while I know I can make old Lima locos look better (I know as I've done it before) the new stuff is just so much better to begin with and on a Shunting layout I need the slow, smooth running newer mechanisms provide.

thanks

Mike

Whoever is expecting to sell a Lima 26 for £50 is a long-term resident of fluffy dreamland; £25 quid if you're lucky.

Like most of the Lima mouldings, they are pretty good dimensional, with crisp representations of grills, fans etc. so provide a good basis for detailing.

OK, so the mechanisms don't come up to modern standards (they are 20+ years old remember) but you'll need to pay at least £75 for a Heljan one and £50 gets you a lot of detailing parts.

If it's just for a shunting plank, why not give it a go and do some proper modelling :-)

As for the Hornby 37 (being polite it's a 37 shaped toy).... get a Vitrains one for £50-ish; modern mechanism and not far off the Bachmann standard.

Actually Vitrains are a bit of a bargain compared to the £80+ that the Bachmann ones go for on eBay.

• RMweb Gold

Whoever is expecting to sell a Lima 26 for £50 is a long-term resident of fluffy dreamland; £25 quid if you're lucky.

Like most of the Lima mouldings, they are pretty good dimensional, with crisp representations of grills, fans etc. so provide a good basis for detailing.

OK, so the mechanisms don't come up to modern standards (they are 20+ years old remember) but you'll need to pay at least £75 for a Heljan one and £50 gets you a lot of detailing parts.

If it's just for a shunting plank, why not give it a go and do some proper modelling :-)

As for the Hornby 37 (being polite it's a 37 shaped toy).... get a Vitrains one for £50-ish; modern mechanism and not far off the Bachmann standard.

Actually Vitrains are a bit of a bargain compared to the £80+ that the Bachmann ones go for on eBay.

Thanks everyone for replies.

I'm actually modelling in N Gauge, but I've kept these models for sentimental reasons, so I don't want to sell them. The 37 does look a bit toy like, but the 26 looks okay to my eyes although i understand the gear between the bogies may be incorrect, but it looks like a 26 to me.

I may just use it as is and maybe try and add some detailing for the 26 at least. I'll post pics of the 37 later to see if you can suggest items to improve it.Based on replies so far I will probably just leave it as DC.

Any clues where to look for 26 detailing bits?

Thanks as always for everyone's help.

Scotty

Thanks everyone for replies.

I'm actually modelling in N Gauge, but I've kept these models for sentimental reasons, so I don't want to sell them. The 37 does look a bit toy like, but the 26 looks okay to my eyes although i understand the gear between the bogies may be incorrect, but it looks like a 26 to me.

I may just use it as is and maybe try and add some detailing for the 26 at least. I'll post pics of the 37 later to see if you can suggest items to improve it.Based on replies so far I will probably just leave it as DC.

Thanks as always for everyone's help.

Scotty

Try  www.howesmodels.co.uk

or

www.shawplan.com

Hi Scotty, as per most of the Lima body moulds, the 26 is a pretty good representation dimensionally, however, it does need a fair bit of whittling to get it up to modern standards.

The glazing for example is woeful, but you can get a better look by adding some SouthEast Finecast glazing. Again, it's not brilliant but improves the look a hundredfold on the Lima effort. ExtremeEtchings/Shawplan do a product called Laserglaze, but unfortunately the range doesn't include the Lima 26, only the Heljan version, so SE finecast would probably be your best bet if you can source some.

It all depends on how far you want to go really, because you could then get into the relams of a replacement fan and grill etch, cutting off the moulded handrails and replacing with 0.33mm brass wire, replacement brass Oleo buffers then adding bufferbeam detail, and so the list goes on......

You don't mention what sort of Trackwork you will be using and a word of warning on the pizzacutter Lima wheels. You could get running issues if you use finescale rail, so a rewheel would be in order there, but Peco code 100 will be fine for it to run on.

You can DCC a Lima motor and there is advice on here if you use the search engine for suggestions.

Good luck and i hope this helps.

cheers

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Hi Scotty, as per most of the Lima body moulds, the 26 is a pretty good representation dimensionally, however, it does need a fair bit of whittling to get it up to modern standards.

The glazing for example is woeful, but you can get a better look by adding some SouthEast Finecast glazing. Again, it's not brilliant but improves the look a hundredfold on the Lima effort. ExtremeEtchings/Shawplan do a product called Laserglaze, but unfortunately the range doesn't include the Lima 26, only the Heljan version, so SE finecast would probably be your best bet if you can source some.

It all depends on how far you want to go really, because you could then get into the relams of a replacement fan and grill etch, cutting off the moulded handrails and replacing with 0.33mm brass wire, replacement brass Oleo buffers then adding bufferbeam detail, and so the list goes on......

You don't mention what sort of Trackwork you will be using and a word of warning on the pizzacutter Lima wheels. You could get running issues if you use finescale rail, so a rewheel would be in order there, but Peco code 100 will be fine for it to run on.

You can DCC a Lima motor and there is advice on here if you use the search engine for suggestions.

Good luck and i hope this helps.

cheers

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thanks very much for your reply. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on the layout, so ready made track would most likely be my route, but I like the idea of improving and weathering the 26 along the lines of what you suggest, and it can certainly be a work in progress. It's really just to get it out of it's box and earning it's keep a little bit. I would very much like to include the 37 and it's Mk2s, as it was my first train set from my parents so I really don't want to part with it. I don't want it hidden away in a box either.

Food for thought.

Thanks again.

Scotty

Archived