Port Chambre

Desaster, well a little one: I glued the cardboard deck to the lighter’s body and – as usual – weighted it to keep it flat.

When I later took the weights off, one of them stuck to the surface and peeled a nasty bit of the paint off. Mind, this paint was nearly a fortnight old; should have been well cured…

post-12822-0-52506800-1460549429.jpg

Well, it was a cheap 'guess from where’ rattle can paint – you never know what thinner they have used…

A trial to blend the scar by diluting the area in question with IPA didn’t work. So I had to give it a completely new paint, then chalk powder to weather it again.

Looks like before now – sigh!

• RMweb Premium

How about an "oil stain" on the problem area? Humbrol do a "gloss oil stain" wash which seems very convincing to me (it really looks like oil), it would want a grimy colour underneath first.

- Richard.

Thanks, Richard, good idea this.

But I think, the truck drivers would not be so happy with an oil puddle on the deck, that would make then slide into the basin...

That's 'cause the area involved will be the lane for trucks besides the railroad wagons.

Armin

• RMweb Premium

OK.

Trucks might leak oil - so how about a narrow strip of metal mesh, along the space between the truck wheels, to catch any leaks?

- Richard.

We do not want wagons rolling unbraked into the basin; so we need a buffer stop at the end of the track.

Short lengths of scrap rail are welded soldered together. For this I bodged a simple cardboard jig together:

post-12822-0-16792100-1460973399.jpg

After hiding my dubious soldering under a nice coat of paint I welded glued it to the deck:

post-12822-0-86491200-1460973433_thumb.jpg

A simple ramp made of wooden planks now allows trucks to enjoy a voyage besides a railroad van:

post-12822-0-14797600-1460973462_thumb.jpg

Next will be bollards,

railings, and

a little cab for the Captain, his name: A. L. Mirral...

• 3 weeks later...

Cab for the ferryman A.L.Mirral finished and placed. Also three dolphins are pushed into the ground. These are simply 6mm dowels, the colouring is real cresote I have secured before the H&S authorities (Berlin? Bruxelles??) could forbid it   :blum:  :blum:  :blum: 

post-12822-0-54747400-1462299578_thumb.jpg

Now, where comes this little yard pilot from that is pushing the through coach onto the barge?

post-12822-0-33856100-1462299607_thumb.jpg

To tell the truth: the Port Authority (or the Shortline serving this small haven) is quite a bit tight on money. So officials have to scrape together not only some money but also scrapworthy rolling stock. By a happy accident they were able to save this 23tonner from the scrapyard. Luckily they employ an experienced bodger who not only painted it a nice orange but also repaired the prime mover, the brakes and other minor equipment.   :imsohappy:  :imsohappy:  :imsohappy: 

Hope you like it

Armin

• RMweb Premium

A nice model on a good layout.

I might suggest you could add some old tyres along the edge, but they would probably add clutter. The train is the key, and it is often important to keep it the subject of the layout and not too many distractions.

- Richard.

Thanks you, Richard, and all the others for their interest (and likes).

Indeed, much detailing can (and will !! ) be added – on the other hand I'm more interested in the overall atmosphere (3-foot-rule, you know) and in troublefree running stock.

Back to my last post:

Ooooh – had completely overlooked that the coach was not yet weathered… Good oppor­tunity to try out the set the postman yesterday brought: several glasses with weathering pig­ments plus a special thinner:

post-12822-0-51499900-1462721953_thumb.jpg

I put the four most used colours together with the thinner in a Nivea tin which prevents them to topple when I'm in a rush of action.

Saves you a lot of trouble…

Now, here we are: 

post-12822-0-85055300-1462722022_thumb.jpg

Tombstone

As they say: a layout is never “finished” – it may just be that the important things are done/made and it is ready for (more than testing and) presentation to polite company…

Now me thinks it is time for a Tombstone.

When I started work on  Port Chambre  in December 2014 I thought I would be “finished” by the following April. Now it has taken twelve months more.

The reasons? Forget them!

In the beginning I was simply curious whether one could use a bent piece of 3mm Maso­nite as baseboard. Indeed this is possible: to flatten it permanently I bolted two lenghts of L-channel (aluminum) to its underside. Works a treat and keeps it really lightweight!  :locomotive: 

The contrary occurred to me with the foamcore sheet I then glued on top. To my feel­ing this stuff is too weak and susceptible to liquids. Never again!  :nono: 

Next time I will revert to the well proven cork (if needed at all).  

Then I run into trouble with the hardstanding. I let it become too thick so that its edge near the tracks impeded the wheels and thus the current.  :nono: 

Had to rip it off and redo it.

On the other hand I had not the least trouble with the wire-in-tube I tried for the first time: on my earlier layouts I had always used a stiff rod between switch and point. Which in this case was not possible due to the water basin I had in mind.  :locomotive: 

All the other things (structures, fence, water, barge, etc.) were plain vanilla – to me :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum: 

Now there’s time to turn to other things: I have a rather voluminous book on my table about the life and works of an Englishman who passed away 400 years (plus a fortnight) ago. :declare:  :declare: 

And other matters…

Perhaps another Small Layout.

Who knows…?

Best regards

Armin

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Armin - good to see you back on the forum!

For foam board troubles I suggest this. There are at least three grades sold in the UK (1) a white, low strength version usually unbranded; (2) a better/stronger version branded "Westfoam"; and (3) a "professional" grade with photo-grade surfaces and a grey core used for high-end publicity material.

- I've used the "professional" grade to make a good baseboard no problems.

- The surface of the black "Westfoam" peels off if it gets damp

- The cheapo white grade just falls apart if it gets wet

If you prime with dilute PVA first, there are no problems.

All will accept solvent-based impact adhesives on the surface, but not on the core (which dissolves)

My favourite glue for this material is the hot glue gun.

- Richard.

Archived