RMweb

Manning Wardle L class drawings?

• RMweb Premium

Early MRJ's have featured several articles and drawings of various Manning Wardles by Don Townsley,  e.g. Bamburgh of the NSLR, Morus, Ringing Rock etc. Also photos in the no 1 compendium. If you look up the MRJ index it will indicate the relative numbers and  what is featured. They might be of use because most of the designs were similar with relative increases in wheelbase and wheel/boiler size.

Here is a shot of a 7mm MW I built sometime in the 90's. This has the early square riveted boiler and unequal wheelbase. There were lots of variations between classes and individual locos.

post-12706-0-34646200-1484826594.jpg

Slaters used to do MW wheels at one time I think (1/8" axles) but those on the loco are Wednesbury wheel castings, also on 1/8" axles. Most MW wheels are quite distinct with their double boss or cast weight opposite the crank. The coupling rods were made from the Alan Gibson 4mm etched universal type because they are quite small both in size and length. It is powered by a Mashima 1630 sitting vertically in the firebox, and driving a 80-1 gearbox driving the middle axle. I think even with the larger L class this would be the basic way to go, perhaps using a High Level gearbox these days.

Izzy

• Like 6

That's a beauty! 

Early MRJ's have featured several articles and drawings of various Manning Wardles by Don Townsley,  e.g. Bamburgh of the NSLR, Morus, Ringing Rock etc. Also photos in the no 1 compendium. If you look up the MRJ index it will indicate the relative numbers and  what is featured. They might be of use because most of the designs were similar with relative increases in wheelbase and wheel/boiler size.

Here is a shot of a 7mm MW I built sometime in the 90's. This has the early square riveted boiler and unequal wheelbase. There were lots of variations between classes and individual locos.

attachicon.gifLMW1-(1)-low-res.jpg

Slaters used to do MW wheels at one time I think (1/8" axles) but those on the loco are Wednesbury wheel castings, also on 1/8" axles. Most MW wheels are quite distinct with their double boss or cast weight opposite the crank. The coupling rods were made from the Alan Gibson 4mm etched universal type because they are quite small both in size and length. It is powered by a Mashima 1630 sitting vertically in the firebox, and driving a 80-1 gearbox driving the middle axle. I think even with the larger L class this would be the basic way to go, perhaps using a High Level gearbox these days.

Izzy

• 5 months later...

Does anyone know where I may obtain some drawings of a Manning Wardle L class with the later style cab like this? I'd like to have a go at scratchbuilding one in O scale.

product_3_5_clip_image003.gif

Not sure if this helps - I have just received a copy of the book "The Wissington Railway".  It has the following dimensions for the "L-Type (altered)" Manning Wardle "1927 NFF". These are listed as:

Inside Cylinders - 12" x 18"

Wheels - 3ft 1/2"

Wheelbase - 10ft 9 1/2" (5ft 5" + 5ft 4")

Grate Area - 7 and a 1/4 sq ft

Weight - 17t 7cwt and full 21t 6cwt

Height - 10ft 9 1/4"

Width - 7ft 6 and 1/8"

Length (over buffers) - 22ft 4 1/2"

It also has a excellent sketch of the M type (altered) "Newcastle" which is quite a bit different from the one posted earlier in this post. From looking at those dimensions and those of the M-type, the later is quite a bit longer in wheelbase and length.

James

theres no plans but some info and photos

Thankyou - adds the 3rd dimension to the dimensions in the Wissington Book. Fascinating stuff - really does pay to research your prototype, quite a few variations even though 80% were "standard".

Worth obtaining a copy?

I will be starting on a kit/RTR for a M/W class L with 3ft6 wheels in 7mm, after Telford. I'm working from drawings in MRJ for Bamburgh and Calwood.

Marc

• RMweb Premium

That is great, I will try and acquire a copy.

J

Its quite a poor copy of a general arrangement drawing, side only, so wouldnt spend too much on it.

Dava

• 8 months later...

attachicon.gifLMW1-(1)-low-res.jpg

Izzy

Hi Izzy, 

I know this thread was written a little while ago, but I've just been reading through it with a view to one day scratch building an old Manning Wardle. Is this the H class, or an older class of loco? I was also wondering where you obtained your plans/drawings for it? Ideally I'm looking for something online as I live overseas, but haven't found anything yet!

Thanks!

John

Hi Izzy, 

I know this thread was written a little while ago, but I've just been reading through it with a view to one day scratch building an old Manning Wardle. Is this the H class, or an older class of loco? I was also wondering where you obtained your plans/drawings for it? Ideally I'm looking for something online as I live overseas, but haven't found anything yet!

Thanks!

John

Hi John

The L is a 0-6-0ST where as the H is a smaller 0-4-0ST. both classes were built over a long period of time so change in detail.

Marc

Hi John

The L is a 0-6-0ST where as the H is a smaller 0-4-0ST. both classes were built over a long period of time so change in detail.

Marc

I see, schoolboy error! 

Any idea where I can get my hands on some drawings?

• RMweb Premium

This book has been recommended before....

North Sunderland Railway by Alan Wright, one of the best sourcebooks for light railway ideas...

Dava

post-14654-0-13893300-1521295942_thumb.jpeg

post-14654-0-38950200-1521295961_thumb.jpeg

post-14654-0-58632700-1521295979_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This book has been recommended before....

North Sunderland Railway by Alan Wright, one of the best sourcebooks for light railway ideas...

Dava

Great! I'll see if I can get my hands on a copy. Thanks Dava!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Izzy, 

Thanks!

John

It's an I class and was the forerunner of the later K/L classes. As such it has an early riveted tank and a smaller unequal wheelbase. I originally choose to make it in preference to the later K/L's just so it was a bit different. Now that Minerva are doing a K I am glad I did, especially as it took around 18 months to make. Mind you this was over 25 years ago As mentioned in my original post there was a lot about the MW's in articles by Don Townsley in various early MRJ's and the first compendium, drawings etc. IIRC that is where I obtained all the info necessary to build it.

Izzy

I have to say the Minerva loco is looking good. I might have to have one in a Cambrian Livery. Not sure what they are looking at for the sound chip but I might be useful for other similar Victorian locos.

Marc 

It's an I class and was the forerunner of the later K/L classes. As such it has an early riveted tank and a smaller unequal wheelbase. I originally choose to make it in preference to the later K/L's just so it was a bit different. Now that Minerva are doing a K I am glad I did, especially as it took around 18 months to make. Mind you this was over 25 years ago As mentioned in my original post there was a lot about the MW's in articles by Don Townsley in various early MRJ's and the first compendium, drawings etc. IIRC that is where I obtained all the info necessary to build it.

Izzy

Thanks Izzy, that's really helpful. It's a beautiful little model you built!

Hi Izzy, 

Thanks!

John

If you are after a H Class, Ruston has just scratch build several in 4mm scale so might be able to point you in the direction of some drawings

J

Only a few years after requesting the drawings, photos, and obtaining a spare Hudswell Clarke chassis and cobbling together the basics of a body, Minerva announce an RTR K class. Oh well, I might do another project, or I might finish it, (with my several other unfinished projects!)

• Like 1