Hornby Class 60 independent tail lights

dj_crisp

Hi

I like to be able to independently switch tail lights on/off from headlights using DCC.

Does anyone have a solution for a Hornby Class 60? While I'm at it i would also to be able to control the day/night lights as well! I can install a second decoder to cover all the independent functions but after reading the the common is negative I don't think there is anything simple that can be done?

Thanks for your help

Will

Hi Will

I have successfully managed to operate the tail lights independently using the function outputs on a sound decoder. what I done was to wire them up to the function that operates the cab lights (lets face it, cab lights are pointless) and that has done the trick beautifully. was quite simple too.

Cheers

Jamie

Will

I think you will find that non-sound Hornby 60's are wired negative common, whereas the sound fitted ones are positive common, and are more DCC friendly, for altering the lighting circuits etc.  Express Models do a DCC conversion kit that replaces all the existing Hornby light cirucuits etc on negative common wired 60's.  If I recall correctly,  it's got 8 lighting functions, and requires two 4 function decoders to operate it, one of which, could be a sound decoder.

www.expressmodels.co.uk

HTH

Hi Will

The decoder will have a function allocated to cab lights, in my case, the 37 i have doesnt have cab lights but i used that function to control the tail lights instead. if you look at the wire colours and what function they correlate to, you'll be able to match that up to the function that would control the cab lights, it will be just a matter of some simple re wiring.

Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers

Jamie

Will

I think you will find that non-sound Hornby 60's are wired negative common, whereas the sound fitted ones are positive common, and are more DCC friendly, for altering the lighting circuits etc.  Express Models do a DCC conversion kit that replaces all the existing Hornby light cirucuits etc on negative common wired 60's.  If I recall correctly,  it's got 8 lighting functions, and requires two 4 function decoders to operate it, one of which, could be a sound decoder.

www.expressmodels.co.uk

HTH

Why does it need two decoders? For 8 Functions? Oh I see, you are talking about ordinary, run of the mill, decoders. Lol

Of course, if you use a quality sound decoder like a ZIMO MX645 or the MX633, which is the equivalent non-sound decoder, you will find they have, as standard, 10 Function Outputs (4 more than LokSound, 6 more than most others) and more than enough for the Express Lighting kit without having to find room to fit an extra decoder. And with 800mA available for Fuction Outputs, plenty of power to spare too.

Kind regards,

Paul

Thanks all for your help.

I've been reading up and my non sound 60s are all negative common so I'll probably look at some new lighting circuits.

I've not tried zimo decoders... might have a go with one when I'm next needing a decoder.

Cheers

Will

Archived