Hall & co, coulsdon and croydon

I think if you are patient a copy will eventually appear on ebay a lot cheaper than £29.99. Also it says paperback but AFAIK it has always been hardback and was printed for private distribution to members of staff etc and never went on general sale.

They do come up and can sell for silly low sums. As has been suggested, keep an eye on ebay. Also abe books, and other sellers. Searching the title on Google can also bring up offers. I have a copy, and it's a nice book with some good illustrations.

Hall & Co also had 2ft gauge railways, with locos, at Rye Harbour and at The Crumbles, Eastbourne, and those locos were looked after at Eastbourne, where they had better workshop facilities.

A bit about those operations here http://www.ryeharbour.net/picture/number98.asp

About 35 years ago, I researched the history of all of the railways at Rye Harbour in some detail, and met an old boy who remembered shifting some redundant Hunslet internal combustion locos from there to Eastbourne for scrapping. It had stuck in his mind because it was his first task on returning to his old job after demob at the end of WW2.

A long ferret through industrial railway society county handbooks will reveal more Hall & Co sites and locos.

Kevin

As a PS: mixed ballast, as used for concrete-making, was always called “beach” in East Sussex, because it all came from Rye Harbour, Eastbourne, or EST&TCo at Cuckmere Haven (they had a Railway too). I used to go with my father to the merchants, where he would order-up “a yard of beach”, or whatever quantity was needed for one of his extensive DIY jobs, and used to enjoy watching it being delivered by ‘tip-up truck’.

Edited by Nearholmer

• 3 weeks later...

I have now read the book. A fascinating history with some good photos. I wish there was a further history that took the story upto the time of being absorbed into RMC. Also lots of ideas for models..... Victoria Wharf.....Rye Harbour.......Crumbles...... Coulsdon Lime works....... Beddington cement works etc etc.

Keith

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Fantastic to come across this whilst searching for the location of the Hall and Co depot in my century and a quarter book. My late father was Jim Hall and my uncle was Bill Hall the MD. Both based at East Croydon. Living in Lingfield. My grandfather is Joseph Hall, I have some of the original portraits that hung in the board room. Any more memories would be great to hear.

• Like 6

• 1 year later...