Hall & co, coulsdon and croydon

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone,

Thought I would start a topic on the companies railway systems they ran at Coulsdon quarry and Croydon.

Would anyone have photos or information on the system and locos used?

They had a very interesting mc Laren traction engine type loco which a article appeared in brm magazine many years ago on building it, anyone remember which one it is?

http://leedsengine.info/leeds/photo.asp?phby=www.leedsengine.info&photo=/leeds/images/J%20H%20McLaren/jhm%201547%20locomotive%20for%20hall%20and%20co%20croydon%20jp.JPG&loco=Jhm%201547%20Locomotive%20For%20Hall%20And%20Co%20Croydon%20Jp

They also ran a pre war sentinel and a early fowler 0-4-0 dm.

Edited by RThompson
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone,

Thought I would start a topic on the companies 2 railway systems they ran at could on quarry and wad don marsh in Croydon.

Would anyone have photos or information on the system and locos used?

They had a very interesting mc Karen traction engine type loco which a article appeared in brm magazine many years ago on building it, anyone remember which one it is?

http://leedsengine.info/leeds/photo.asp?phby=www.leedsengine.info&photo=/leeds/images/J%20H%20McLaren/jhm%201547%20locomotive%20for%20hall%20and%20co%20croydon%20jp.JPG&loco=Jhm%201547%20Locomotive%20For%20Hall%20And%20Co%20Croydon%20Jp

They also ran a pre war sentinel and a early fowler 0-4-0 dm.

I found a couple of interesting snippets about this loco in old issues of The Engineer on Grace's guide whilst looking for something else. It seems to have replaced (or supplemented) a similar one from Clayton of Lincoln. 

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/images/b/b9/Er19570208.pdf

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/images/0/06/Er19240118.pdf

(And when I looked for more info, this page came up.....)

• RMweb Gold

Good evening Robert,

I actually worked for Hall & Co and in the 80s managed their Coulsdon builders merchant branch that was on the site of the old lime works. I've got a company book entitled "A century and a quarter" and there are a few photos of the works etc so I could scan and email to you if you like.

Regards Bob.

Edit. Only just noticed the date of the original post so this may be of no use whatsoever.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello,

Everyone, thank you for the additions to this thread, it is much appreciated with some interesting articles.

Grandad bob,

I would be very interested in a scan of the book please if that's still ok?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I reckon the Hunslet 0-4-0 side tank would make a great model.  Outside Walschaerts etc., so unusual on a small industrial.  Mr Edge - please take note :locomotive:

The McClaren loco features in Andrew Neale's article in an 'Archive' last year (?) on 'Traction Engine Locos'.  Not sure of the number of the issue, sorry.

.....The McClaren loco features in Andrew Neale's article in an 'Archive' last year (?) on 'Traction Engine Locos'.  Not sure of the number of the issue, sorry.

Archive 87-  an excellent 20 page article with nicely reproduced large format photos, plus cover and inside front photos.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'm looking to build a model of Halls Pre war 80HP Sentinel, easily achieved by modifying the axle box spring brackets on the RT Models kit.

The question though is, what colour was it painted? Including the fowler Adam and McLaren traction engine.

From reading the Hall & co book, the lorries was red so I'm guessing maybe the locos also?

• Like 1

Interesting thread, there was a big builders merchants in Romford, Essex during the 80's called Hall & Co and they're yard was somewhere near the railway lines. I wondered if anybody knew if it could have been a descendant of the same company and could have had a rail connection some time?

Steve.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Most certainly was the same company and merged/taken over by RMC in 1968. They were major suppliers of building materials with something like 70 or more locations including builders merchant depots, aggregate pits, brickworks, a lime quarry and works and even a cement works at one time. Most of the depots were by the railway as they were also quite a large coal merchant and at one time owned over 400 railway wagons. The  company started in 1824 with a stone quarry in Merstham, Surrey and materials were transported on the Grand Surrey Iron Railway from Merstham to Croydon and other places en route to Wandsworth and thence by barge to London Bridge and other such projects. Seaborne coal from NE England was brought back on return journeys, some sold off as domestic fuel for the wealthy but much of it for the limekilns at Merstham.

Edited by grandadbob

• RMweb Gold

Might well have been Ian but TBH the company carted bricks all over the place to many sites in and around London and the South East and further afield. These could be from their own works at Newdigate or from other brick companies such as Sussex & Dorking, Ockley, Ewhurst and many others.

• 2 weeks later...

Hall and co had a large engineering base at Salfords just to the west of the station goods yard. The area has been redeveloped into a small industrial estate. The base as far as I know dealt with vehicle maintenance. There was also a concrete plant that remained in situ after Hall& Co became part RMC. Aggregates supplied by Marinex from the goods yard.

Keith

Ps I think they also operated a narrow gauge line at Eastbourne on the Crumbles. The LB&SCR also had a siding there.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting thread, there was a big builders merchants in Romford, Essex during the 80's called Hall & Co and they're yard was somewhere near the railway lines. I wondered if anybody knew if it could have been a descendant of the same company and could have had a rail connection some time?

Steve.

It was indeed rail connected though not directly. It was connected to the LMS goods yard in Victoria Road by a spur running parallel to the branch on the south side and underneath the Victoria Road bridge to Halls yard in Manor Road. Halls yard itself was once a gravel pit but later became a storage yard. I am not aware of any locomotives stationed there, shunting was probably by hand or horse though the tracks and sidings appear to be capable of carrying a locomotive.

It was indeed rail connected though not directly. It was connected to the LMS goods yard in Victoria Road by a spur running parallel to the branch on the south side and underneath the Victoria Road bridge to Halls yard in Manor Road. Halls yard itself was once a gravel pit but later became a storage yard. I am not aware of any locomotives stationed there, shunting was probably by hand or horse though the tracks and sidings appear to be capable of carrying a locomotive.

Thanks Phil, that's very interesting. I didn't know there was a LMS goods yard there either.

Steve.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Salfords was the main engineering workshop for the company and in 1930 spread over 14 acres and dealt not only with maintenance  but also major repairs and overhauls. There were  also sub workshops at Redhill, Coulsdon, Croydon, Willow Lane Mitcham, East Dulwich, Epsom, Woking, Sevenoaks, Chichster, Kew Bridge, Hove, Worthing, Ringwood, Bristol, Bexhill & Maidstone capable of all but the major repairs. IIRC Salfords built most of the bodies fitted to the lorries as well and repaired and maintained all of the pit plant. It was at one time claimed to be amongst the largest and best equipped engineering shops in the country. They also repaired and overhauled tanks and other armoured vehicles during WW2.

• Like 1

My late Aunt and Uncle both worked at Salfords must have been late 40's early 50's. They had a book presented to them all about Hall & Co. It was quite a meaty tome and I would love to see a copy of it or even better get a copy.

Keith

• Like 2

Keith, I have one and it's called  "A Century and a Quarter". Copies occasionally appear on eBay and also with second hand booksellers.

Thanks very much for the information about the unit and about the book I will be on the look out for that one.

Keith (Used to live in Salfords.....)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks very much for the information about the unit and about the book I will be on the look out for that one.Keith (Used to live in Salfords.....)

There is a copy for sale listed on amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Century-Quarter-Growth-Business-Present/dp/B0026YRX58

Plus another on Abebooks though the latter is from the US and has £19 postage to the UK even though the book is a tenner there...

Cheers,

Keith

• RMweb Gold

I think if you are patient a copy will eventually appear on ebay a lot cheaper than £29.99. Also it says paperback but AFAIK it has always been hardback and was printed for private distribution to members of staff etc and never went on general sale.