RMweb

Pavo, GA on the Georgia Northern

Hello, Simon and list.

The layout will be 48 inches high. Pavo woll be two feet wide, I'm 6'2" with long arms. I am thinking about a 12" high backdrop.  I can put building flats in front of the backdrop. I'll need to be able to  reach over the backdrop to access the staging yard. I am considering a screen of trees, but I wonder if that will provide enough cover to hide the staging tracks in eye level photographs. Trees would also keep me from using building flats.

I'm glad to know I can use MDF bendy board. Curved  backdrops go a long way toward expanding the layout area. There's a model of Galatia, KS on this list, and that fellow does a great job of blending foreground and backdrop.

Simon, I will be modeling in early spring; that's when the fertilizer traffic was heaviest.

I shouldn't have any trouble with building benchwork, laying track, or wiring. I will need help on scenery. For instance, I like the look of static grass, but don't know how to use it. To get the look of track in the dirt, I'll probably just sand out a trough the width of the track and crosstie deep. That way, the rails will be all that is above ground.

Thanks for all the help.

Regards,

Tom Holley

Hello, Brian. I don't know whose depot it is. I'll email Ed Mims and ask him.

Regards,

Tom Holley

Hi Tom,

Thanks for asking Ed Mims.

I don`t know where i picked up my info from,to think that the Georgia Northern depot was raised before the date of the photo!.

Anyhow,it is the Georgia Northern depot in the picture,and it still exists..!! :fool:

It was  moved to it`s current location in 1985.

http://ashburnhillplantation.com/events/

Cheers,

Brian.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for asking Ed Mims.

I don`t know where i picked up my info from,to think that the Georgia Northern depot was raised before the date of the photo!.

Anyhow,it is the Georgia Northern depot in the picture,and it still exists..!! :fool:

It was  moved to it`s current location in 1985.

http://ashburnhillplantation.com/events/

Cheers,

Brian.

Hello Brian and list.

Thanks! It's good to know it's still intact. And did the sharp eyed among you notice the switch in the deep grass under the FT A?

Regards,

Tom Holley

Hello Simon and list.

Simon, thanks for the list of static grass articles. I have Model Railroader on CD, so I'll look that up first. The idea of visible staging is a good one;  it would easier than trying to work a backdrop in. For depressing the track, I was thinking of covering the benchwork in cork sheet and just cutting out the area where the track would be depressed. Also, I know a modeler who uses upside down ceiling tiles. He just carves the below ground level features he wants in; it would be easy to depress track that way, too.

Thanks!

Regards,

Tom Holley

I was thinking of covering the benchwork in cork sheet and just cutting out the area where the track would be depressed.

Hi Tom,

I would concur that is probably the best way to go,as it would save you a lot of work filling in.This I`d  done this on my previous Louisville & Wadley Southern layout. (but did not post pics)

I  would however add a note of caution,in that don`t be tempted to take the ground cover too far up to the top`s of the rail`s.

This i did thinking that the lower profile of the wheel flanges now on modern models,would be OK.......how wrong i was!.

post-19751-0-24685900-1426021442_thumb.jpg

(Apologies for the box car)

If you enlarge the picture you can see where i`ve had to carve out the flange ways.And by the time i`d finished and the got stock to run properly,it look more like a cart track than a railroad!.

Regards,

Brian.

Hello Brian and list.

That track looks great! I love the thick grass. That is the effect that I'm looking for! That is stactic grass, right?

Below please find some switchlists from April 1965 for the Georgia Belle fertilizer plant in Newnan, GA on the old Central of Georgia. Please note the number of foreign line box cars, and how the box cars are used in bulk material service. Many thanks to David Payne for the list. I have the month of April on an Excel spreadsheet if any of you want it...just email me.

Regards,

Tom Holley

post-25079-0-55438500-1426022558_thumb.jpg

Hi Tom,

Indeed it is static grass.

I used a based layer of Woodland scenic`s static flock grass FL633 (Burnt grass),followed up by some 4mm summer grass colour mix,with a hand full of 6mm grass added for variation along the edges.

The switch list is a bit of an eye opener.

Where`s on most model railroad`s a box car may say, come in and and stay for one or two turn`s max. I noticed that the CNW car turn`s up on the 1st and then leave`s again on the 6th,5 day`s later!.

I`d be interested to see a track plan if you have one,just to place the box car on each day.

Regards,

Brian.

. I am considering a screen of trees, but I wonder if that will provide enough cover to hide the staging tracks in eye level photographs. Trees would also keep me from using building flats.

Trees overrun with kudzu would probably provide a good scenic block, and is appropriate for Georgia. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Kudzu_on_trees_in_Atlanta,_Georgia.jpg

Adrian

Kudzu is very easy to make too - Woodland Scenics fibre teased out flat and coated with Noch Leaf Flakes. :)

Hello Adrian, Daniel, and list.

I much as I see kudzu, I never thought of kudzu covered trees as a view block. That is an outstanding idea, thanks.

Regards,

Tom Holley

Hello, list. 

Upon returning home from work, I was pleasantly surprised to have received a track plan from Steve Flanagan. Here is the Georgia Northern going south to Boston, the pre-1971 end of the line and interchange with the ACL.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Regards,

Tom Holley

post-25079-0-23231900-1426464318_thumb.jpg

Hello Brian and list.

Steve Flanagan sent me this website:

http://www.historicaerials.com/

I searched Pavo, GA and it has some aerial photos and topo maps. In one of the later photos (1978?) it shows the stub track with some grain bins. That was GoldKist. I don't know exaxtly where Amoco Fertilizer was, but I will place in on the ride side of the layout room. I am not posting the images here, as the resolution is low and there may be copyright issues.

I spoke with a Pavo resident the local library referred me to, and he did confirm the industry names and locations. I also worked off a rough sketch by a former track department employee. I wish I had a track profile for this line!

Regards,

Tom Holley

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the link.

I can see what your going for now.

As much as i like Steve`s plan`s,i think personally the last one has a bit to much hidden running.

The revision you posted earlier i thought had some potential.In that if you could move the staging to the opposite side of Pavo, it would mean that you don`t have to reach over buildings and such,and then somehow you could run a single line in front of the staging with perhaps a simple industry.Lumber loading perhaps?.

Cheers,

Brian.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the link.

I can see what your going for now.

As much as i like Steve`s plan`s,i think personally the last one has a bit to much hidden running.

The revision you posted earlier i thought had some potential.In that if you could move the staging to the opposite side of Pavo would mean that you don`t have to reach over buildings and such,and then some how you could run a single in front of the staging with perhaps a simple industry.Lumber loading perhaps?.

Cheers,

Brian.

Hello, Brian. The revision better reflects the prototype track arrangement. I plan on using a low screen of kudzu covered trees to screen staging. By the time I model, the depot was gone, and, as best I can tell, the only thing there was a dirt road. If I move staging, it shortens the run. The layout across from Pavo will have the old Amoco fertilizer plant. I might, if it fits and looks well, add the O C Smith fertilizer plant at Ganor, north of Pavo.

Operations consist of a  train coming out of Pavo, around the right side of the room, switching Pavo, turning, and going back to staging. Most of the industry was agriculturally  based down there. I was planning on using the house track for any other tonnage....inbound building supplies or outbound pulpwood. There might be a need to add a crossover between the main line and the hoiuse about midway to avoid a long runaround move.

I'll look at relabeling the track plan so it makes better sense.

Regards,

Tom Holley

Hello list.

No, I don't have any photos of the structures. I plan to make a trip down there this spring. The only building left I know of is the old Tide fiertilizer plant. I was going to side step the issue by having Tide and Amoco be aisle side industries. I was just going to indicate the spot numbers on the fascia. GoldKist looks like grain bins, an office, and a loading shed. That shouldn't be too hard to cobble up. The house track/epot area will be a dirt parking lot. 

Regards,

Tom Holley

Hello, list.

Sorry to be so silent; I'm on vacation! Here in the south, the growing season has started and I have been busy with "honey-do" projects. I do have some good news; it looks like I will be able to expand the layout from 10x14 feet to 10x19 feet. That will make Pavo that much longer. It will also allow Ganor and Amoco on the opposite wall. I'm pretty excited!

I plan on rehanging the exterior door to open outwards. That way, instead of a swing up or swing out I'll just have to duck under. In Columbus, GA, our temps and humidity can swing drastically in a week. I was concered about wood swellage and shrinkage.  

More to come. I'll file a report on the Savannah, GA Prototype Modelers meet when I return if y'all are interested.

Regards,

Tom Holley

I plan on rehanging the exterior door to open outwards. That way, instead of a swing up or swing out I'll just have to duck under. In Columbus, GA, our temps and humidity can swing drastically in a week. I was concered about wood swellage and shrinkage. 

It is more likely that the track will expand more than wood - I personally would not use a duck under, they get very tedious after a very short time. :)

it looks like I will be able to expand the layout from 10x14 feet to 10x19 feet. That will make Pavo that much longer. It will also allow Ganor and Amoco on the opposite wall. I'm pretty excited!

Excellent news Tom,more space the better !!.

I personally would not use a duck under, they get very tedious after a very short time. :)

This, i have to agree with..

It was one of the things that lead to the demise of my L&W layout.

Brian.

Archived