RMweb

Pavo, GA on the Georgia Northern

Hello, list.

Well, I'm back from Savannah. Upon my return, I was doing a little extra research and found another industry to switch at Pavo. There was a Parrish Brothers grain company across the track from Tide fertilizer that shipped corn and soybeans. Also, attached please find a new drawing of Pavo. As I mentioned earlier, I was able to expand my layout space to 10x19 feet. The new plan is 14 feet long, the other 5 feet is used for the curves on both ends of Pavo. I added a new crossover between the house track and mainline to ease switching chores.  It may not be 100% prototypical, but it will save a long runaround move.

Regards,

Tom Holley

post-25079-0-53001500-1427844261_thumb.jpg

Hello, Ernie and list.

There will be derails on all tracks other than the main. If it's not a mainline or a passing siding, Southern policy was to put a derail on it. The stub end siding was GoldKist's track. There was no ramp there as far as I know. The ramp would be over on the house track, close to where the depot was located. That added crossover will let you use the house track for a runaround, without having to move any cars at Parrish Brothers.

Regards,

Tom Holley

Hello. list.

Attached please find what I hope is the final track plan for Pavo, GA. I was able to include Barwick, GA, which was the end of the line from 1971 to 1976 (although it still shows in a 1981 employee timetable). In later years, a warehouse at Barwick received boxcars of fertilizer. At one point, naval stores were a big business there, so I'll probably load poles in gons on the team track.

As usual, all comments/advice/criticisms are invited. 

One factor driving layout design was the era. I like ALCO RS3s, so I had to settle on no later than 1973. Also, a few Central of Georgia plywood sheathed cabs were still in use,  which breaks up the monotony of the Southern's bay window caboose fleet.

Regards,

Tom Holley

post-25079-0-90260800-1428015469_thumb.jpg

Hi Tom,

I like the new plan.

Lot`s of switching potential, and the addition of the new crossover past Parrish will make things interesting as well.

The only thing i can see that might cause a small problem,is that you run straight onto the points off the curve`s at each end of Pavo.

I would either make these curved point`s,or just shorten thing`s  by a few inches so you have a bit of a straighter lead into them.

But you may already have this in mind anyway?.

As your going to run RS3`s,and bearing in mind your family connections to the Central of Georia, will they still be lettered for Central of Georgia?.

Cheers,

Brian.

Re a duck-under...

...your back may protest somewhat, either from the bending down, or from standing up too soon.

I thought it's your head that protests, if you stand up too soon..?? :scratchhead: ;)

... and you have to re-rail the stock you've jolted off the track, or worse still - pick it up off the floor :O but at least you're already down there, from failing to negotiate the duck-under... :jester:

Hello, Brian and list.

As you mentioned, there will be a short segment of straight track before getting into the switches at Pavo. As for ALCO RS3s, I think I'll have one of each flavor...one CG and one Southern. I also have a plywood sheathed CG short cab; It will alternate with a Southern bay window cab. There were also still plenty of CG cars (most in Southern style lettering) running around as well.

Regards,

Tom Holley

Nice pic`s Tom,

I especially like the local service S&A cab.

Is it a North Eastern type;ie the same sort that ran on the Reading and Lehigh Valley?.

All this talk of Tuxedo RS3 is giving me a real hard time.I`m now thinking of ditching the Georgia & Florida and modelling the Georgia Northern in the last year, so i can have some Southern liveried loco`s as well!.

Brian.

Nice pic`s Tom,

I especially like the local service S&A cab.

Is it a North Eastern type;ie the same sort that ran on the Reading and Lehigh Valley?.

All this talk of Tuxedo RS3 is giving me a real hard time.I`m now thinking of ditching the Georgia & Florida and modelling the Georgia Northern in the last year, so i can have some Southern liveried loco`s as well!.

Brian.

Brian

Its a North Eastern, the Weaver model is a dead ringer for it, S&A had two originally painted white.

Colin

Hello, Colin, Brian  and list

Colin was the other S&A Northeaster cab the 255? I've never seen a photo of it. Brian, if you model the G&F after the Southern takeover, you can use about any early 4 axle geep the Southern had.

Regards,

Tom Holley

Brian

Its a North Eastern, the Weaver model is a dead ringer for it, S&A had two originally painted white.

Colin

Thanks Colin,

I`d forgotten about the Weaver NE cab.

Hello, Colin, Brian  and list

Colin was the other S&A Northeaster cab the 255? I've never seen a photo of it. Brian, if you model the G&F after the Southern takeover, you can use about any early 4 axle geep the Southern had.

Regards,

Tom Holley

That sound`s like a good idea Tom!.

Cheers,

Brian.

** A quick search found this S&A #255**

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=218538

http://southern.railfan.net/images/archive/southern/caboose/soux255billbedellandoverva7181.html

Hello, list.

Things that make unexpected crashing noises are generally not good. This was the recent case at my home. My railroad room is in a utility room ,entered from outside the house. Unless I am working on the railroad, or taking care of some honey do list, I'm not in there. The crash I heard was the sheetrock ceiling collapsing.

There was a leak. The sheetrock got wet, and its weight pulled it down...down on top of benchwork and rolling stock. It's a mess. So, I'm behind the power curve and vacation ends the 8th. Before I can build the railroad, I've got to resheetrock the ceiling. And find the leak....and fix it.

Anyway, I'm down but not out.

The benchwork mentioned was from an earlier, failed layout attempt. Depending on the damage, most of it may be salvaged for the new Pavo layout. I still have to see what damage was done to rolling stock.

Regards,

Tom Holley

Hello, list.

Things that make unexpected crashing noises are generally not good. This was the recent case at my home. My railroad room is in a utility room ,entered from outside the house. Unless I am working on the railroad, or taking care of some honey do list, I'm not in there. The crash I heard was the sheetrock ceiling collapsing.

There was a leak. The sheetrock got wet, and its weight pulled it down...down on top of benchwork and rolling stock. It's a mess. So, I'm behind the power curve and vacation ends the 8th. Before I can build the railroad, I've got to resheetrock the ceiling. And find the leak....and fix it.

Anyway, I'm down but not out.

The benchwork mentioned was from an earlier, failed layout attempt. Depending on the damage, most of it may be salvaged for the new Pavo layout. I still have to see what damage was done to rolling stock.

Regards,

Tom Holley

It's a shame that life has that habit of kicking you up the backside when you least expect it. Look on the bright side. It's better to have the problem now. Rather that when all the track is laid, scenery done and buildings up.

Good luck.

Hello, Ernie and list.

Ernie, you are right. It could have been much worse.

Now, a question for the list. I can't find flexible MDF at either of the big box stores in town (Lowe's and Home Depot). Any suggestions?

Regards,

Tom Holley

Hello, Brian and list.

Brian, thanks for the link to the Kitwood site. One thing the Pavo layout doesn't have is a way to turn engines. With Southern geeps that won't be a problem....but should I want to backdate and run the GANO or GAS&C FT A units, I'm in a bind. I am considering putting a turntable in the staging area. Yeah, I know....but I did say considering. I can't use a wye, no space and not geographically right, either.

I go back to work tomorrow, and I will be back on line Tuesday.

Regards,

Tom Holley

Hi,Tom.

There would be little point in putting a turntable in the staging area,because the FT will allways be running the wrong way round at some point.

So ideally you`d need one at Pavo aswell ,so it could be turned for the return trip.

Just a thought!.

Brian.

Hello, Brian and list.

Brian, if I wandered back in time to, say, 1966, the line to Boston was still down. I was thinking of running the FT to Barwick, cut off the train, and go to Boston (staging) and turn the engine, and then return to Barwick, pickup the train  and go back to Pavo and then staging. The issue is, how often will I do that? Would it be easier just to make an engine length cassette at staging, and just pick it up and turn it? I hate to handle models excessively.

The whole era swap thing is doable, but I suppose I'd best build the railroad first.

Regards,

Tom Holley

Hi, Tom.

That`s an interesting way of doing things.

If this was as you say an occasional thing,then the turntable option would work well.But if it was too regular an occurrence,then i could see this sort of thing wearing a bit thin after a while!.

I agree with you on the whole handling thing,not good for today`s delicate models.

Brian.

Hello, list.

Below please find a list of power on Southern Railway trains 71 and 72 in 1974.  71 was a through freight/local between Columbus, GA and Montgomery, AL. It passed through Union Springs, AL where power was picked up or set out for train 95/96, a local from Union Springs, AL to Andalusia, AL. Sorry about the quality, it's an old scan I made notes on. Yes, my dad was the engineer.

The power is typical of trains on secondary lines in the early 1970s.

If this post isn't appreciate for this list, please tell me and I'll remove it. If you want more, I have a week's worth of trip reports made by a trainmaster on the same two trains in 1964, and power for the same trains in 1976. Just let me know

Regards,

Tom Holley

post-25079-0-02667000-1428535861_thumb.jpg

post-25079-0-63149200-1428535868_thumb.jpg

post-25079-0-42627000-1428535874_thumb.jpg

post-25079-0-18303500-1428535882_thumb.jpg

post-25079-0-65461200-1428535889_thumb.jpg

Hello, list.

I had a spare moment tonight and an internet connection. Below please find 71 and 72's power in 1976. LF indicates the location the job went from through freight to local freight rate of pay. 396 is the milepost 396, 411 is the 411 milepost. On 3/19 my dad hostled power for 71's train (meaning he assembled the individual engines into one power set) account no hostlers in shop. He made an extra day's pay for that. Note that he came back in to do that after working into town on 72.

Regards,

Tom Holley

post-25079-0-99351500-1428801923.jpg

post-25079-0-63659800-1428801934.jpg

post-25079-0-91137700-1428801946.jpg

Hi, Tom.

Thanks for posting the list`s.

A question about the Union Springs to Andalusia job.

Does the loco that is set out for the local job,stay on the line until it`s either re-placed or sent to Columbus for servicing.

Brian.

Archived