Parcel courier of choice?

Gary H

• RMweb Premium

Apologies if this has been asked before, I tried a few search terms but didn't really find very much! (only on who to steer clear of!)

After posting my last batch of H0 scale locomotives about a year ago, I'm now having another clear out / locomotive cull.

What bothers me is that I've always used RM but as everyone knows, their prices have increased somewhat over the last 3 years or so.

Posting  using even a 2nd class signed for service, it is still relatively expensive!

I've looked into Hermes but I gather they have a less than great reputation so I was wondering,

who do people use for selling model railway stuff?

Am I better off to carry on using RM?

I use RM 2nd class signed for, not the cheapest but I want the item to arrive at it's destination and in good nick.

Edit - i only usually charge the exact postage cost as all my materials (bar the sellotape and parcel tape) are recycled. Main reason I don't use couriers is my own bad experiences with them as a recipient.

I use Royal Mail, it is so much easier to send (if you have a post office near you) and by the time you take the going to a drop off point for other couriers and the cost of petrol, is there any saving ?

The customer pays for the postage anyway, they expect to pay P&P and providing its a reasonable price it should not affect your selling price. I send first class every time (is it worth saving the extra few pence sending 2nd class) and my buyers seem pleased with the speedy delivery. Why send recorded unless items are over £20, you get no extra protection from the Royal Mail.

Look at the transaction from a buyers perspective, if you would be happy then its quite likely your buyer will be.

You can save money on the packaging side, re-use packaging that items sent to you are packed in. Bubblewrap can be obtained free from some businesses, as can cardboard. Save boxes of things you buy etc.

I would use City Link only as the depot was within a mile of my house.

Not any more!

DPD are the best, but expensive. UPS do good deals for drop-off at their collection point and I rate them quite highly, but it's not going to be as cheap as Hermes.

• RMweb Premium

Thank you chaps, all helpful info there!

I've seen this drop off point malarkey is now very common. Whereas myself as the seller, I wouldn't mind the dropping off aspect to much, on the other hand, if I were a buyer and had to drive a few miles to collect

an item, I would find it slightly irritating! That is on the assumption that's the way it works mind??!

Ive come to the conclusion that its a case of 'you get what you pay for' as it is for everything else!

I'm also coming to the conclusion that if I stick with RM, although its pricey, I think it's more convenient, especially from the buyers perspective as its going right to their door!

I have to agree with Pugs though, DPD do seem very good and they also deliver on a Saturday or a Sunday!!

Ask the buyer who he wants and add the appropriate amount on!

I would use City Link only as the depot was within a mile of my house.

Mark Saunders

Sorry did not use past tense!

Should have said to use one with a depot close to the recipient, it makes retrieval simpler if you need to go to the depot for it!

Mark Saunders

I've seen this drop off point malarkey is now very common. Whereas myself as the seller, I wouldn't mind the dropping off aspect to much, on the other hand, if I were a buyer and had to drive a few miles to collect

an item, I would find it slightly irritating! That is on the assumption that's the way it works mind??!

The UPS service has a couple of different options, one is that you drop off and the recipient collects from their nearest point, usually a corner shop/convenience store. The other, entails you dropping it off and the parcel being delivered to the recipient.

The first option could work better if they're never in during the day, the collection points normally have long opening hours.

Have a look at parceltogo.com - I've used them successfully in the past and they offer services from several different carriers.

Don't look at this from your own point of view. It's almost always the "last mile" that causes the problems. The best solution is to ask the recipient who gives the best service in their area (e.g. not "dropping" parcels over locked gates) and offer that service at cost.

Andrew

Archived