MMP Princess coronation

• RMweb Gold

also have been looking at a 7MM Princess coronation class bought of Ebay for £40 pounds had lots of bits missing but will be a long term project did have a lot of bits missing list to follow

missing                                                                                                                                                                   suppliers of replacements

cab                                                                                                                                                                         ? likely Auto cad work.

main frame spacers  bogie                                                                                                                                     Premier components   Now on order                                                                                                                                                

coupling rods                                                                                                                                                          dito

contionton rods                                                                                                                                                       dito

valve gear                                                                                                                                                               dito

cross bar guilds                                                                                                                                                       laurine griffin

smoke box door plus fittings                                                                                                                                    laurine griffin

inside vale not included but might as well                                                                                                               laurine griffin

Tender complete                                                                                                                                                     Martin Finney 

other bits may be missing and will post when known for sure

post-12485-0-38566000-1411497252.jpg

• RMweb Gold

After some buying from Premier components i now have a full chassis minus slide bars and Crossbars. next purchase will need to be wheels along with the cross bars and bits. what i would like some advice on is suspension/bearings i Must point out that i do not own a lathe or milling MCs or a driller.But will hopefully get a pillar drill later in the year, so if any suggestion needing machining are out before i even start.

and is it just me or are the fraems that came with the kit the same as the new ones from Premier Components? 

post-12485-0-25525800-1425482277.jpg

post-12485-0-43688700-1425482347.jpg

Might I suggest a look at the Ragstone website?

Andy Beaton, the new owner, now does most of the castings that were originally mastered by David Parkins for the MMP locos.

Try here to ask for a copy of the list by email: http://www.ragstonemodels.co.uk/index.php?f=data_products&a=3

As for the frames being the same, why would they NOT be? They are for the same loco.

• RMweb Gold

As for the frames being the same, why would they NOT be? They are for the same loco.

Sorry I meant even the were the screw holes are for the frame spacers etc. To me ether mmp used premier components parts. Or the owner bought a set to use instead of the original ones.

Thanks for the link I have Ragstone list to go through now. And am sure I will be placing a order for some parts in the future.

1 question dose anyone else sell wheels I should have a look at other then slaters

Sorry I meant even the were the screw holes are for the frame spacers etc. To me ether mmp used premier components parts. Or the owner bought a set to use instead of the original ones.

Thanks for the link I have Ragstone list to go through now. And am sure I will be placing a order for some parts in the future.

1 question dose anyone else sell wheels I should have a look at other then slaters

There were no holes for frame spacers in the original kit - but its all rather a long time ago - 1989/90!  Maybe Ragstone changed the kit after purchase in 1993 but those are NOT the frames from the original kit. 

David Parkins

Modern Motive Power

www.djparkins.com

There were no holes for frame spacers in the original kit - but its all rather a long time ago - 1989/90!  Maybe Ragstone changed the kit after purchase in 1993 but those are NOT the frames from the original kit. 

David Parkins

Modern Motive Power

www.djparkins.com

Input from the man who knows.

Looks like the originals were lost/damaged by a previous owner, then.

The good thing is that many of the required castings will be available to (we hope) the original standard.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Have managed to get hold of a set of cab sides which I had thought was going to be the hardest replacement. Thank you to David Andrews for that one. And I think I will use one of NMRS boiler backheads which look ok. The buffers don't look to bad as well.

• RMweb Gold

i have down loaded the list but i thought the cab sides were more important for now. the motor is the next thing to get. but the rage stone list you could go mad on and spend lots. ill have to look carefully at ragstones and  laurine griffin  not to mention Hobbyhorse. which do you pick when they all look good. to me anyway.  :scratchhead:

• RMweb Gold

That is true. However I think a pillar drill would be a handy thing to have. So with that wheels and a motor gearbox and maybe some castings to buy. I think I will have plenty to keep me busy plus my oo models. Before I need to worry about the tender.

• RMweb Gold

I was not planning on doing it quite like that. but it could catch on. After having a look at Ragstones again it could get costly. I know I still need a smoke box ring and it seems that that is only available from luarie Griffins so I might as well get a new door to match it and save any trouble. i might as well follow your suggestion with the casting From range stones. But do I buy just the ones missing or do I go OTT with brass replacement!? However I think NMRS might still be it for the fire back head. As I can't find anyone else who sells one for the coronation.

However I think NMRS might still be it for the fire back head. As I can't find anyone else who sells one for the coronation.

You do, of course, only need the fittings for the backhead, as the backhead itself is part of the resin firebox. I would get the backhead fittings from Andy Beaton of Ragstone. They are first class anyway, designed for the kit, and make for a pretty good representation.

post-3059-0-28423200-1429689113_thumb.jpg

post-3059-0-27263300-1429689104_thumb.jpg

Richard

• RMweb Gold

Oh now I like that. Have you finished the model by chance And do you have a photo of it? As I never seen the kit finished so don't know how good it should look when built. it's just a load of bits in a tatty box Which is not the most inspiring start I have to admit.

Have you finished the model by chance And do you have a photo of it? As I never seen the kit finished so don't know how good it should look when built.

Hi Farren,

The model is still wending its glacially slow way through the paint shop, and has very low priority unfortunately. The photos above were grabbed this morning.

I would say that the build is not the easiest - the design is 25 years old after all - but that with perseverance, it makes into a very fine model indeed. I always described it as a Finney kit before Finney came to the market. The castings were and are extremely good, and it looks like a Duchess. The only real criticism of the components is that the footplate is flat right across, under the boiler, which niggles me, but it's too far gone for me to do anything about it as the chassis would need modification too.

Richard

• RMweb Gold

I've had in mind a certain motor for some time and was wondering if you guys think this would be worth getting it's the one's fine scale brass put in there models

post-12485-0-22740600-1429737756.png

Archived