DCC Steam for North Cornwall

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

Evening all,

The layout I'm building is my first venture into the world of O Gauge, my first attempt at track building and my first go at using a soldering iron for anything more than wiring. It's going well so far although, as a solo project, it's going to take a while.

Last year saw me bid for and win the NCE system from Dave Shakespeare's estate. It's purchase was the result of very sad circumstances but I'm determined to do Dave proud and use DCC on the layout.

I must admit I've not been overly impressed with DCC steam sound in 4mm scales so far but more so with its use in larger scales. Are folk using bigger speakers for more chuffing chuff?

Anyway, the first loco to roll off the slow but steady production line is this:

post-6675-0-87352700-1426112291_thumb.jpg

It weighs in at 1kg, will have a Maxon motor and ABC gearbox and has plenty of room for DCC within. Good stuff so far but... I can't seem to find a LSWR O2 sound chip. Does such a thing exist? With the Kernow/DJ Models RTR model in 4mm being available soon, is this situation likely to change??

The second loco to roll off the Captain Slow production line is a GWR 1366 Dock Tank. Another fine choice as again I see nothing offered on the sound side of things.

post-6675-0-09465900-1426112917_thumb.jpg

I'm very new to the world of DCC, so suggestions and advice are much appreciated on suitable chip/speaker/sound combinations.

Thanks folks!

Hi Chris,

Might be putting the cart before the horse a little, but while you are still at that stage of the game where it should be possible to incorporate one fairly easily it may be worth looking at a form of "mechanical" chuff synchronisation- EDM Models (sorry, I'm turning into a bit of a fanboy!) offer a "sync disc" that pushes on to the axle to trigger a reed switch. One suspects this may be more reliable and simpler than achieving synchronisation through tweaking CVs- although this is something I know very little about. www.ngtrains.com/Pages/Synch_Cam/soundsynch.html should take you to it.

Paul is I believe fitting one to my Ixion Manning Wardle currently, there's some videos of one in the 7mm section somewhere & I'll post some more myself once Paul has finished with it.

Obviously this doesn't help you find a suitable chip for the 02. On the upside both are projected 00 gauge releases & both have preserved examples which greatly increases the chances of someone doing a good sound project for them. Perhaps your best option is to find an approximation short term and have it reblown when the "correct" sound project turns up.

Although my ears and prototype knowledge is not good enough to differentiate, I must admit I much prefer the idea of a loco having the right sounds instead of just a best guess- but sometimes that's the only option.   

Obviously this doesn't help you find a suitable chip for the 02. On the upside both are projected 00 gauge releases & both have preserved examples which greatly increases the chances of someone doing a good sound project for them.

Trouble is, a recording today of a preserved example will be a recording of an example which is 50-100 years after its prime use, run today fairly gently compared to its use in regular service. So, yes, useful as a source of a sound, but don't for a minute assume its completely accurate compared to when in its prime. Then add in the way steam locos change their sounds depending on wear & tear, driver and fireman behaviour, etc.... And therefore maybe something based on an "intelligent guess" of the right sort of sound isn't too far out.

- Nigel

Archived