DJH S&DJR 7F - 53803

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

As a bit of research for a possible build of my DJH 7F kit for the RMweb 10th Anniversary 2015 Challenges, I'm looking at which member of the class to build. I think my best bet is 53803, as it was one of the last of the original build to be withdrawn, and seems to have had a Fowler tender in BR days (the kit, though saying a Deeley could be represented, seems to actually have a Fowler that can be modified to approximate a Deeley). Can anyone with access to suitable books/photos let me know what emblem the locomotive ended its life with - Early or Late?

TIA

• RMweb Gold

53803 is quite tricky to track down in terms of a good view of the tender emblem. Ivo captured it on 1st February 1962 at Bitton with 53804 as they made their way to Crewe for dismantling. 53804 certainly had the early emblem but that of 53803 is not clear. Latest view I can find is Ivo's photo of 53803 leaving Bath 5th January 1958 in which it has the early emblem.

From what I can see, all of the 1914 series retained the early emblem until withdrawal......but......

Rob

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Premium

More than helpful Duncan, especially that last one, many thanks. I also found it interesting to see the overhead warning flash patches, that's something I'll need to put on any finished model.

Archived