The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Newspeak Jargonitis

AndyID

When did we start up-speaking and up-writing? Is it American or Australian?

or two?

It's essentially a statement that changes into a question due to the inclusion of a question mark at the end and an intonation rise of the last word

I've seen this ascribed to Californian women in the 80s, but then the Aussies do it too. I also recall working for someone (mid 90s) who hailed from Essex speaking that way - it was the first time I'd heard it and I thought she was constantly asking me questions.

When I first read the post, I thought Andrew was referring to "up-cycling", an equally irritating neologism that seems to be doing the rounds at the moment

"up-cycling",

What on earth is that supposed to mean?

It's when you repaint some old tat while making a Channel 4 lifestyle program at the same time.

I think the Australians started the up-ending question thing. I remember Australian friends using it in the sixties. It's frequently used as a substitution for "are you following me here?"

(and, by the way, on my first day working in the US, I did actually ask our department admin Nancy, "Do you have any rubbers?" Her face turned beetroot, and I had no idea why.)

(and, by the way, on my first day working in the US, I did actually ask our department admin Nancy, "Do you have any rubbers?" Her face turned beetroot, and I had no idea why.)

A lot like "Can I use your dictaphone" and "Do you want a screwdriver?".....

"up-cycling",

What on earth is that supposed to mean?

It is what happens when you start at Sainte-Marie-De-Campan with your trusty pushbike, and take the road signposted to Col Du Tormalet.

I think the Australians started the up-ending question thing. I remember Australian friends using it in the sixties. It's frequently used as a substitution for "are you following me here?"

Robert MacNeil (with Robert McCum and William Cran) wrote a nine-part documentary for American PBS during the 1980s called The Story Of English.

People might find it impertinent for the colonials to do so and it did focus a lot on how British English changed in the colonies, but it was really good.

Episode 7, The Muvver Tongue focuses on the progression of English 'Down Under', and pays particular attention to 'the rising inflection' (now apparently labelled up-speaking) amongst young Australian females.  The particular section on the rising inflection begins at 5:17. Watching it still makes me cringe a bit.

You can find the whole series online.

Why do we need the word "ongoing"? What's wrong with "continuing"?

Ditto, why "going forward" instead of "in future"?

One of the real beauties of the English language is the nuance that is possible with subtle distinctions in words with similar meanings.

Let's not forget this is still the language of Shakespeare - whose vocabulary was pretty amazing. How many times did he choose a synonym for poetic or dramatic effect?

I know it's popular for people in the UK to ridicule the Americanization of English (oops, I think I just made a new one!)

But, these days, whenever I read a UK publication, I keep running into something called "fit for purpose". What pl**ker came up with that one I ask?

Admittedly it's been a while since I lived in the UK, but there was no such thing when I lived there. Back then, we might have said "it doesn't work", plus or minus a few carefully selective adverbs (particularly in the vicinity of Glasgow).

And I used to think I was the only one in the PNW!  It works both ways; I still retain the English spelling and have trouble dropping the U in colour or ER for RE, etc., which I learned ages ago!

Brian.

Archived