Sound changes not smooth

kintbury jon

Good morning.

This may be easier to explain with a video but I will give it a try.

I have 3 sound fitted items, Kernow Thumper with SWD, EPB and 33 with Howes.

An issue for me is with both the 33 and EPB. When accelerating the 33 noises come out as you would expect. As soon as you decelerate the noise cuts out and the engines go into idle mode. Whilst this should happen, the noise changes instantly and doesn't sound like a natural change.

With the EPB, the same occurs so when you slow into a station, it comes in almost silently. Shouldn't the noise of the motors be working at this point?

I'm very happy with the Thumper sounds as the change in sounds seem realistic. Is the problem something with the Howes sounds? I could get both reblown with another set of recordings but don't want to end up with the same problem.

Good morning.

This may be easier to explain with a video but I will give it a try.

I have 3 sound fitted items, Kernow Thumper with SWD, EPB and 33 with Howes.

An issue for me is with both the 33 and EPB. When accelerating the 33 noises come out as you would expect. As soon as you decelerate the noise cuts out and the engines go into idle mode. Whilst this should happen, the noise changes instantly and doesn't sound like a natural change.

With the EPB, the same occurs so when you slow into a station, it comes in almost silently. Shouldn't the noise of the motors be working at this point?

I'm very happy with the Thumper sounds as the change in sounds seem realistic. Is the problem something with the Howes sounds? I could get both reblown with another set of recordings but don't want to end up with the same problem.

No motor sound from an EPB or other EMUs when coasting or stopping.

Dave

No motor sound from an EPB or other EMUs when coasting or stopping.

Dave

Yes I thought that was probably the case.  I've got recollections of hearing motors when trains slow down - i'm sure Underground trains do (I appreciate they are different)  

Also you might try LegomanBiffo, he REALLY knows his way around Loksound!

PS: what's an EPB ?

Regards,

Alan.

Southern Class 416 2EPB EMU

• RMweb Gold

With DCC sound chips the sound is telling you something!

Try slowing down a bit and driving to the sound of the chip - they always need a bit of time to cycle.

Have the opposite on my 25 - see

3 mins in, the power stays on right up to the point when the loco stops

Cheers

Phil

That is pretty much what 33's do - an abrupt shut-off with a quieter spool-down than other 'heritage' diesels. The one I recorded (33109) was just the same and I have carried that through into the programming of my chip. I'm sure you'll find You Tube clips of real ones doing the same.

Bif

If you listen carefully with the Howes 33, while the power sounds do shut off abruptly, there is a very subtle spool down (almost a whistling sound) followed by a sort of rattle as the engine returns to idle.

I have two 33s with Howes sound and another with much more  recent Legomanbiffo sound. Both types satisfy me in slightly different ways. I have one more with Paul Chetter's sounds on a Zimo decoder, and that is different again - I choose the manual drive option for that one.

• RMweb Gold

Any loco will shut power off abruptly.....

the engine speed is governed by an air pipe, which is opened and closed by a valve on the power controller which then forces a piston in the govenor to push more fuel in (in laymans terms) abruptly closing the power controller will close the fuel rack quite quickly, you can close it slowly and make the engine spool down slower, but that doesent make whats represented in your video unprototypical.....doesent do the contactor tips any good though ;) and any class 37 owner will shudder when you shut off at more than 1ka ;)

engine control on that era of locomotive is extremely crude.....

Archived