Old Bullhead track in use

Pretty much...............

There are sections within the platforms at Hampton Court that date from 1931, and there is plenty of rail on the Yeovil - Weymouth line dated 1929.

There are sections on the South West main line at Farnborough from 1966 that are carrying 10-15 million tonnes per year.

Amazingly, some of the conductor rail between Waterloo & Clapham Jn is due to celebrate it's centenary next year too.

Don't know why I have not noticed this before as I have been driving over it for the last 40 years but there is a length of bullhead rail in Didcot yard that says it was made at Dowlais in 1914! Is this one of the oldest bits of rail in regular use?

That head looks well mushroomed over :D.

On the Skegness line the rails were laid in S2 chairs. I believe these could take 85 or 95lb rails. There was a bit of a panic a few years back when it was realised most of the rails were GNR 85lb. I spent weeks out there covering relaying jobs to eliminate it all. 

OK, not in use, but this sleeper and 1906-dated chair was still neatly in the ballast close to where the buffer stops would have been on one of the out of use platforms of a certain mid wales coastal terminus in 2007. I *think* that that was the date at which the GWR rebuilt the station ...

post-24457-0-65594400-1427316636_thumb.jpg

The oldest rail in the UK, in use still in its original location (admitedly with a 40 year period out of use and buried under tarmac so not continuous use), is believed to be the double track section of the Heaton Park tramway. There is no record of the original rails laid by Manchester Corporation in 1903 ever being replaced.

• RMweb Gold

Could well have seen that old chair as there are a couple from the GW&GC Joint from 1904.

They used to be quite common in yards on the western - particularly the London Division.  I presume they were recovered when train was sent to PADs for stripping and were good enough to reuse.  But really old rail, or rather 100year old rail, is much more of a rarity I reckon.

Archived