Printing out just parts of a kit?

Has anyone found a way to just print out parts of a card kit from the original pdf file, other that using Adobe Acrobat? I've gone through all 19 pages of topics (bored while Grandchild minding) in this sub forum, and except for that method, I found no other method mentioned.

Could one print the original, then scan it as a different format, that would allow selecting just individual parts?

I'm not back home until Sunday, or I would have already experimented, so thought I would ask, in the meantime.

Jim F

Hi Jim

Selective printing has certainly been covered before - mostly in relation to changing the scale for construction.  One of my earlier posts has details on how to improve the resolution if using the screen capture technique with the Print Screen facility in Windows.

There are two main methods depending on whether the pdf has been locked to prevent cut and paste.

If the pdf is not locked, use the snapshot feature to select the area you want to print.  This copies the image and this may then be pasted into a graphics package or a blank page in Word.  Using Word has the advantage that the size is easily checked before printing.

If the area you want to print is irregular - the snapshot only captures rectangular areas - paste the image into a graphics package - Paint will do fine - and edit out the bits you do not want.

If the pdf is locked, reduce the size of the window so that just the area you want is on screen.  In the print options select "Current view" and then print with no scaling.

Regards.

I would use/have always used  IrfanView for this sort of quick task, although I've photoshop and a raft of other image/cad software. It'll open pdf's and most anything else, you can crop areas, adjust colours, save in a multitude of formats in whatever size you want. Download from here http://www.irfanview.com/get the plugins. You can also run some Adobe actions/filters if you've a mind to, including things like lens corrections/perspective corrections, etc. And, I expect you'll like the price - free for home use.

Best wishes,

Ray

TheGIMP (http://www.gimp.org/) (free, for Windows, Linux and Mac) which will allow you to import chosen pages from the pdf (it ignores permissions/restrictions) and to then manipulate, crop out etc., a chosen bit in a page.

It has a very nifty image size tool that enables you to measure (in inches, mm, etc.) the size an object will be when printed out.

I use IrfanView for lots of jobs, it is good, but Gimp has so much more for the railway modeller :)

66C, I did search, but did not read through each thread, One way or another, I missed your method.

My wife actually has Gimp on her comp, so will give that a try when I get home.

Will try your method as well, Doug.

My primary reason for asking has to do with the difference between UK and US paper size. Most kits come in A4 size, for UK modellers. That means printing on legal size paper over here. I have found I like printing to full self adhesive labels, then applying them to the card stock. I have a large supply of letter size full labels, and would rather use those that have to but special order legal size labels. I'm hoping to just be able to take from the pdf's A4 size page what will fit on a letter size page, and print that out. Secondary plus would be being able to print just certain parts, for kitbashing purposes.

Thanks all.

Jim F

the difference between UK and US paper size.

In that case you will just luv Gimp

set your pixels per inch, do some tests to cheap paper, and you are on your way !

By the way, not all UK inhabitants are happy with UK sizes ( I blame the EU actually, another story), some of us oldies still work in inches and get confusled by these newfangled A# thingies :)

Good luck.

Ok, a update note, with bit of back story. I have bought several download card kits from different makers. Since my wife has been using my work desk for a wedding project, I've not started more that one. I have printed them all out, each in a folder for the near future. 

The 1st couple, I printed out myself using legal size (8.5" x 14") paper. The next couple, I had done at a Staples, figuring I was saving ink. On further calculating, I decided it was actually cheaper to print at home. Then I decided to print to label stock. That's what brought me to my original question.

Now, this morning, I went searching and found a supplier of legal size labels, one label per sheet. Just to double check that I was correct, and the newest kits I had would fit, I decided to test print in black and white only, at min. settings. Now, understand, I have not printed any kits from pdf's for several weeks, and both my printer software and Adobe Reader have had at least one update in that time.

Anyway, when the print options window opened, I noticed a new option selection, "Choose paper source by pdf page size". When I check that box, the paper outline in the preview box shifts, and all the art work now falls inside the outline of a 8.5" x 11" sheet. Unchecked, the bottom of any artwork is cropped off. I have printed out, in b&w, the 1st few pages of 3 different kits, size set to 100%, both with the option checked using letter size paper, and unchecked using legal size paper, and the printed items are exact same size, and the 1" ruler check is exact.

With this, I now don't have the need to cut and paste, using gimp or any other means.

I know that option was not there before, but am certainly glad it is :)

Thanks to all who replied.

Jim F

Archived