An O Scale Diversion?

mikjd

Well I just picked up the my purchases from 'that' list of items on ebay. The good news is that the weathering looks better in real life, just needs a bit of toning down and some rust detail. Plus they came in some rather nice storage boxes.

post-24507-0-90532200-1427816339_thumb.jpg

post-24507-0-41047500-1427816393_thumb.jpg

Now the diversion, from the Cincinnati Belt & Terminal (N&W/CR/Chessie) to ??

post-24507-0-38317700-1427816511_thumb.jpg

I couldn't resist a bargain ..... (it was £87 with seconds to go...)

Having had a google at the ex Frisco locos, and thinking the nose headlight and roof beacon (both missing) and mentioned previously by others is no great problem, I noticed the lack of the usual EMD air filter box, as here http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2735759 . It appears all other GP-15's have the usual filter box as per the model. So what to do, I could paint it blue as a Conrail loco would fit with my planned layout, but my paint shop are waaaay behind. An alternative would be to leave it as is (I have a few BN cars) and make a switching plank, and see how many people notice the deliberate mistake. That green is begining to grow on me already. Or bring it more up to date and patch it as a shortline loco?

Mick.

You got me at the last second on the loco!

Why haven't my cars arrived yet? :dontknow:

BTW - look forward to seeing what you decide to do.

Dan - FreemO - you organise it and I'm sure you'll get some takers. "Build it and they will come!"

You got me at the last second on the loco!

Why haven't my cars arrived yet? :dontknow:

BTW - look forward to seeing what you decide to do.

Dan - FreemO - you organise it and I'm sure you'll get some takers. "Build it and they will come!"

Sorry Nick & Dan! I live 30 mins away so decided to collect, as I've had some bad experiences with unboxed O scale, particularly locos, no matter how well packed, corners seem to get knocked off. The good news is the other stuff was being packed when I arrived.

Mick.

So it was you that snagged that loco!

Well done that chap, I was very tempted by that myself.

Still, I'll have a weaver RS3 very soon so it's all good :)

So... FreemO anyone? :D

The RS-3 was what got me started In O, I brought a used one back with me from the states in the mid 90's, it's one of the early ones (and still undecorated - there's a theme there). I'm damned if I can remember where it is, but one day ......... We used to go 'tax free' shopping in Wilmington DE, at a store called Mitchell's (I'm sure our transatlantic friends will at least have heard of it), a real treasure trove, sorry to hear that it had closed down.

Mick.

The RS-3 was what got me started In O, I brought a used one back with me from the states in the mid 90's, it's one of the early ones (and still undecorated - there's a theme there). I'm damned if I can remember where it is, but one day ......... We used to go 'tax free' shopping in Wilmington DE, at a store called Mitchell's (I'm sure our transatlantic friends will at least have heard of it), a real treasure trove, sorry to hear that it had closed down.

Mick.

RS-3's have a lot to answer for

1st American loco I bought was a G Scale Southern Pacific Black Widow RS-3, then I got the US O-Scale bug & a Lehigh Valley RS-3 was my first purchase, needless to say was made up on a visit to Steamtown to come across a Reading RS-3 & a Delaware Lackawanna RS-3.

Paul.......

post-24082-0-47486200-1427827489_thumb.jpg

post-24082-0-53469500-1427827503_thumb.jpg

Mick.

Mitchell's has closed down, but one of the railroad guys from there opened a smaller RR-only store just down the street.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=39.798872,-75.547657&spn=0.000004,0.002401&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=39.798792,-75.547645&panoid=FEGGNLKJFUO53-DjuKjDcQ&cbp=12,73.77,,0,-2.76

There is a British Pub not far from there too...

https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=39.799463,-75.54774&spn=0.000004,0.002401&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=39.799535,-75.54775&panoid=mI9jxaWX-H-Tubo9PLzOyw&cbp=12,76.38,,0,-9.6

Adrian

That green is begining to grow on me already. Or bring it more up to date and patch it as a shortline loco?

Mick.

If you wanted to bring it more up to date, you could always give it a coat of plain black and turn it in to an NS unit?.

Or if your paint shop decided`s to have a bash at it,they could add a dynamic brake hatch and turn it into a Chessie GP15T!!.

It also seem`s that most of the E-bay stuff went to forum member`s!.

I picked up two of the older Atlas stock cars for the ends and roof`s for the princely sum of £18.50,which was`nt too bad considering someone paid thirty odd pound`s for the same type of cars in an earlier lot. :scratchhead: .

Brian.

Hmmmm. That GP15 was a fair bargain - I thought it was going to go to Silly Money like the Plymouth & GP35 did. So I didn't bother in the end :mad: plus I got the two Atlas Soo hoppers. Not such a bargain as other rolling stock, but still acceptable price. Oh & not arrived yet either.... I could swear that on eBay yesterday it said dispatched Monday; estimated day of arrival today (Tues). Now it says estimated arrival Wednesday. This must be a new definition of "24 hour Courier" I was previously unaware of..... :scratchhead: :(

Adrian, I knew the Concord Pike very well, and visited most of the hostelries in the area ....

Mick.

Adrian, I knew the Concord Pike very well, and visited most of the hostelries in the area ....

Mick.

My friend grew up in the area. Her parents' house is on Country Club Drive, facing onto the Dupont Country Club (just west of Concord Pike).

Adrian

If you wanted to bring it more up to date, you could always give it a coat of plain black and turn it in to an NS unit?.

Or if your paint shop decided`s to have a bash at it,they could add a dynamic brake hatch and turn it into a Chessie GP15T!!.

It also seem`s that most of the E-bay stuff went to forum member`s!.

I picked up two of the older Atlas stock cars for the ends and roof`s for the princely sum of £18.50,which was`nt too bad considering someone paid thirty odd pound`s for the same type of cars in an earlier lot. :scratchhead: .

Brian.

The idea of a Chessie GP-15T is attractive, and the DB housing is in stock at Atlas for the princely sum of $1 !! But the thought of telling the paint shop that's the plan, well ...... All over colors are good, patching is even better ....

Out of interest what do you turn the Atlas stock cars into ?  I vaguely remember reading an article doing the same, but have no idea what.

Mick.

Hi Mick, not sure how accurate you want to be but the gp15t is a very different animal to the atlas gp15. As well as the dynamic brake, the hood doors are a different layout, the roof grills and rear air intake grill too. The atlas gp15 is modelled after one of the MP units with the double grab irons on the rear hood and side mount bell.

Colin

Hi Mick, not sure how accurate you want to be but the gp15t is a very different animal to the atlas gp15. As well as the dynamic brake, the hood doors are a different layout, the roof grills and rear air intake grill too. The atlas gp15 is modelled after one of the MP units with the double grab irons on the rear hood and side mount bell.

Colin

Hi Colin, Yes I've been busy online this morning and found out a lot more about the loco's, what with 81" & 88" noses, anti-climbers etc etc as well. As you say it appears Atlas just stuck a DB housing on an 'ordinary' GP15. I found a good thread on the old Atlas forum which goes into a lot of detail, and refers to a copy of Diesel Era for the Chessie locos. Back to the drawing board I think.

Mick.

Colin

Well blow me down......

I `ve got both versions here in HO,and i`ve never  taken much notice of the differences!!  :fool:

Out of interest what do you turn the Atlas stock cars into ?  I vaguely remember reading an article doing the same, but have no idea what.

Mick.

I have in the past re- built these with new sides,and turned them into combination door box car`s for the Milwaukee Road.But for these

i`m looking at making some Postwar AAR 12 panel ACF built cars for the Southern Pacific.

But first i need to check what sort of roof panels they had.

Anyhow they`ll be in a long que for the car shop`s,as i`ve plenty of project`s first!.

I also think i know the article your on about,but it was to do with stretching/kitbashing two of the forty foot box car`s into a single fifty footer?.

I may?, have that article around here somewhere if your interested.

Brian.

**  this link might be of use to those of you looking for the roads that had the earlier Atlas 40ft box cars;

http://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/old-atlas-boxcars **

Well blow me down......

I `ve got both versions here in HO,and i`ve never  taken much notice of the differences!!  :fool:

I destroyed a USA trains GP38 shell trying to convert it into a GP15, That's how I found out about the hood doors and other details and also that published drawings and the real thing are not always the same. .The conversion seemed like a good idea at the time!

Colin

Well blow me down......

I have in the past re- built these with new sides,and turned them into combination door box car`s for the Milwaukee Road.But for these

i`m looking at making some Postwar AAR 12 panel ACF built cars for the Southern Pacific.

But first i need to check what sort of roof panels they had.

Anyhow they`ll be in a long que for the car shop`s,as i`ve plenty of project`s first!.

I also think i know the article your on about,but it was to do with stretching/kitbashing two of the forty foot box car`s into a single fifty footer?.

I may?, have that article around here somewhere if your interested.

Brian.

**  this link might be of use to those of you looking for the roads that had the earlier Atlas 40ft box cars;

http://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/old-atlas-boxcars **

I've read that thread, very useful. I think it's only the plug door car that is not prototypical if I remember correctly (I often don't). As for 50'ers I've got a bunch of PS-1 plastic boxcar kits to build, and even a couple of the old Athearn brass and wood if I get bored.

Mick.

I've read that thread, very useful. I think it's only the plug door car that is not prototypical if I remember correctly (I often don't). As for 50'ers I've got a bunch of PS-1 plastic boxcar kits to build, and even a couple of the old Athearn brass and wood if I get bored.

Mick.

I think your right about the plug door box car,i seem to have read something along those lines as well.

I`ve never built one of the old Athearn kits,are they worth buying and detailing up?.

Ummm.... i wonder where some of your PS1 kit`s came from? :secret:

As a side, the e-bay madness seem`s to have calmed down now as i`ve just picked up two Nickel plate product`s resin (built) 50ft box car`s for less than fifty quid,inc. postage.

It was a bit of surprise to see these, as it`s been a good ten years since i last converted two into re-built door and half Southern cars (#5215xx series cars)

They need some TLC,but nothing major.

Brian.

I think your right about the plug door box car,i seem to have read something along those lines as well.

I`ve never built one of the old Athearn kits,are they worth buying and detailing up?.

Ummm.... i wonder where some of your PS1 kit`s came from? :secret:

As a side, the e-bay madness seem`s to have calmed down now as i`ve just picked up two Nickel plate product`s resin (built) 50ft box car`s for less than fifty quid,inc. postage.

It was a bit of surprise to see these, as it`s been a good ten years since i last converted two into re-built door and half Southern cars (#5215xx series cars)

They need some TLC,but nothing major.

Brian.

That'll be you then Brian. I do like the more unusual Boxcars, which is handy with those 50' combination door cars. I've even looked out for the Quality Craft wooden cars, which seems a strange way to model 70's steel boxcars ! :scratchhead:

The Athearn and their predecessor's kits look ok  when made up, there's a lot of metal detail parts, and most come with trucks and kadee's if your lucky. I have used some for parts, the ladders, brake gear, bolsters etc are useful (and a cheap way to get them). I intend to use the roof's to make covers for a couple of coil carrying gondolas. I'm left with a few pressed doors, ends and roofwalks which I'm sure will come in handy for something (even a scrap pile).

If you'd like a photo of the style of ends, doors and roof of the different 40' & 50' cars then let me know.

Mick.

The Athearn and their predecessor's kits look ok  when made up, there's a lot of metal detail parts, and most come with trucks and kadee's if your lucky. I have used some for parts, the ladders, brake gear, bolsters etc are useful (and a cheap way to get them). I intend to use the roof's to make covers for a couple of coil carrying gondolas. I'm left with a few pressed doors, ends and roofwalks which I'm sure will come in handy for something (even a scrap pile).

If you'd like a photo of the style of ends, doors and roof of the different 40' & 50' cars then let me know.

Mick.

Great mind`s think a like,so it seem`s!.

I had contemplated buying a couple of the Athearn kit`s for that very purpose;ie spare part`s.But not knowing what the quality of the castings was like,i`ve tended to stay away from them.

I have though, brought some of protocraft`s brass door casting`s and roof walk`s for specific car build`s.And they are very nice.

But at the moment there does`nt  seem to be the same variety in box car  end`s, hence my purchase of the Atlas cars.

I`d be grateful if you could post a picture of the end`s and door`s that come with these kit`s,

It would be useful to myself, and probably some of the recent  convert`s to the dark art of O scale!!....

Brian.

Great mind`s think a like,so it seem`s!.

I had contemplated buying a couple of the Athearn kit`s for that very purpose;ie spare part`s.But not knowing what the quality of the castings was like,i`ve tended to stay away from them.

I have though, brought some of protocraft`s brass door casting`s and roof walk`s for specific car build`s.And they are very nice.

But at the moment there does`nt  seem to be the same variety in box car  end`s, hence my purchase of the Atlas cars.

I`d be grateful if you could post a picture of the end`s and door`s that come with these kit`s,

It would be useful to myself, and probably some of the recent  convert`s to the dark art of O scale!!....

Brian.

Will do Brian when I get a chance.

Mick.

Archived