Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Newcastle - Liverpool of trans pennine

one service to Newcastle was extended to Edinburgh in the summer. I don't know how long that lasted.

was still running around 1983 iirc bro can remember using it for my first grice up north of the border was the 08.05 ex stalybridge  

I lived in Mossley just passed the station heading towards Greenfield and, with the climb east from Stalybridge, it was easy to know the class of loco sometimes, a good 5 minutes before it arrived. The sound disappeared briefly as the train entered Scout Tunnel. The whole valley acted like an echo chamber.

http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v3.php?img=0955010315000

Found photo of class 47436 been running from Newcastle to Liverpool in 1989

BUT who want buy Bachmann class 47436 blue large logo have not come out from China

I'm not exactly sure what your point is ... there wont be a shortage of buyers for a standard Large Logo Blue Class 47 when it comes out!

• 6 months later...

RES was launched in October 1991. The Trans-Pennine trains went over to Class 158s in January 1991.

Therefore RES-liveried locos did not work these trains.

While 158s started to turn up from about the 14th Jan 1991 the final vehicles were not in service until New Year 1992 (the last centre car). The 158s took over from the 150's  and the Liverpool to Newcastle service continued to be L/H for some/most of the year. There was the occaional pre-res red 47s, it depended what CD had working!

While 158s started to turn up from about the 14th Jan 1991 the final vehicles were not in service until New Year 1992 (the last centre car). The 158s took over from the 150's  and the Liverpool to Newcastle service continued to be L/H for some/most of the year. There was the occaional pre-res red 47s, it depended what CD had working!

I'm a bit lost with this.

158s took over directly from 47s & LHCS on the Liverpool/Newcastle trains in January 1991 but I don't recall any LHCS substitutions on these trains afterwards and I was working at Lime St at the time. 150s had been working Scarborough/Holyhead trains etc from the late 1980s.

Hi all,

The last trans pennine loco hauled trains ran on Sunday 20th Jan 1991. It was cold, damp and dark most of the day. The stock was filthy and tired as were the class 47's hauling them. As I recall one of the last westbound departures from Newcastle had a class 31 in departmental grey livery at the helm.

Regards

Vin

I'm a bit lost with this.

158s took over directly from 47s & LHCS on the Liverpool/Newcastle trains in January 1991 but I don't recall any LHCS substitutions on these trains afterwards and I was working at Lime St at the time. 150s had been working Scarborough/Holyhead trains etc from the late 1980s.

150/2 had been used since they went to 3 TPN trains an hour.  The first 158 in Leeds I saw which was not  obviously on test was on the 14th (158734) - LHCS was used until I stoped commuting on 18th Jan (with a gap until September) which is why I could not give a date. As with the Mk4s at that time the door sensors on some 158s were a bit tempermental.

As for the 31s I never saw any on TPN services only on the S&C trains when they origonated in Hull.

Edited by Bomag

In the early to mid 80's most of the trans pennine services were mainly 45/6 Peak hauled, though 47's did appear, well certainly through Manchester Victoria which was my main area at the time. It was common to see at least two Deltics a day in 1980/81. The 47's became the norm in the late 80's when eth stock was used to a greater extent.  I was working in Newcastle1990-93 during the switch to 158. Notable was 'Queen Mother' being used all the time in the final weeks. I did see an intercity livereid 31 'Mappa Mundi' used on one day. I will try and find the shots over the weekend and scan them.

Again after the 40's demise the Peaks became the main traction as below.

post-9992-0-25907800-1445557278_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-15527400-1445557293_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-33982400-1445557314_thumb.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 2

Hi all,

When the TP expresses were reduced in length in the 1990 winter timetable from BG/FK/5xTSO to a 5 coach rake the class 31's could not only keep time but could heat the stock. So a failure could be covered but a late arrival was not unknown.

Regards

Vin

The Peaks really kept the services over the top running. With most of them running over 90mph on the race track (Darlington to York).

47541 & 47492 were both on the final services as Scotland became class 158 areas.

Regards

Vin

Hello everyone

I am not interested to class 45 peak but I know everyone like peak and I prefer class 47 running on trans pennine

You missed my point. You asked for class 47 in use 1980 onwards. In the 1980- 1985 period there were few if any class 47 in use on the Newcastle trains. The services were mainly class 45/6.  From your list 47612 did not even exist until June 1984 as it was 47080 and Sir Rowland Hill was not named until 1990.

Mike Wiltshire

You missed my point. You asked for class 47 in use 1980 onwards. In the 1980- 1985 period there were few if any class 47 in use on the Newcastle trains. The services were mainly class 45/6.  From your list 47612 did not even exist until June 1984 as it was 47080 and Sir Rowland Hill was not named until 1990.

Mike Wiltshire

I did read your comment but I don't miss that so I forget put year by I am aware look for 1987 - 1992

Thank you

Hello everyone

I am not interested to class 45 peak but I know everyone like peak and I prefer class 47 running on trans pennine

I would keep that quiet; pefering 47s to anything other that HSTs (or perhaps 31/4s) in the mid to late 1980's was considered to be a bit odd.   

In the early to mid 80's most of the trans pennine services were mainly 45/6 Peak hauled, though 47's did appear, well certainly through Manchester Victoria which was my main area at the time. It was common to see at least two Deltics a day in 1980/81. The 47's became the norm in the late 80's when eth stock was used to a greater extent. I was working in Newcastle1990-93 during the switch to 158. Notable was 'Queen Mother' being used all the time in the final weeks. I did see an intercity livereid 31 'Mappa Mundi' used on one day. I will try and find the shots over the weekend and scan them.

Again after the 40's demise the Peaks became the main traction as below.

Victoria45143Sept1984mail.jpg

Victoria45052Sept1984mail.jpg

Redbank45106june1984mail.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

used to see deltics on these on a very regular basis usually the 8.30 ex York which would return as the 13.05 ex lime street this was almost a given on a Thursday as it was used as the check run for that weekends rail tour engine .you sometimes got them on one of the newcastles in the early evening have seen the occasional 31 on a Pennine but generally only in the event of a failure .Failures also brought out on odd occasions a 25 ( usually the Victoria station pilot) lots of 40s especially the summer holiday trains from yorks to the north wales coast even once had a HST substituted for a Pennine set during bad weather ran through York all the way to lime street .

The now preserved 47503 was a frequent machine on the Trans-Pennine services during the 1980s.

The Class 47 Preservation Project its owners have a log of services it is known to have worked, along with photos of it in action on such trains. I am sure if you contact them they would be able to help with any queries.

Simon