Newcastle - Liverpool of trans pennine

Only 7 on for the run go back to the early 1970's and the regular load was 11 an occasionally 12 behind a EE Type 4 normally and some peaks. The sound as they attacked the bank had to be heard to be believed.

One regular EE Type 4 ( class 40 for the who know no better) was D284 !

Edited by johnd
  • Like 1

Hello everyone

Please any comments about that by period years is 1983 - late 1991 means only diesel locomotives is Class 47

Thank you

I am look for 1983 - late 1991 of trans pennine for Newcastle between Liverpool use diesel locomotives of class 47

around 1988 / 89 these were regular 47s

47401 North Eastern

47402 Gateshead

47406 Rail Riders

47407 Aycliffe

47411 The Geordie

47424 The Brontes of Haworth

When Gateshead closed and Crewe Diesel Depot locos were used from around 1990 untill the class 158 sprinters were used

47434 Pride In Huddersfield

47443 North eastern

47444 University of Nottingham

47448 Gateshead

47488 Rail Riders

47503 The Geordie

47597 ( this loco had a scottie dog on the side )

post-9437-0-95293700-1493539663_thumb.jpg

Edited by SGJ
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Network southeast class 47 has running from Newcastle to Liverpool and returned to Newcastle?

Thank you

I've just remembered to answer this one!!!

On Thursday the 16th of October 1986 I had the following traction for haulage to/from university:-

45113 SB-MV

31450 Picc-Oxf Rd

47583 MV-SB "Network Southeast"

Although I have no idea why I wrote "Network Southeast" at the side of 47583 except that it must have referred to its livery.

(Need to check it to be sure!)

Kev.

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Please any comments about that by period years is 1983 - late 1991 means only diesel locomotives is Class 47

Thank you

I am look for 1983 - late 1991 of trans pennine for Newcastle between Liverpool use diesel locomotives of class 47

Page 4, of this very thread, pretty much answers your question.

47s then 45s then 47s, but not adhered to exactly plus some rare 31s on at least one diagram later on.

Kev.

Here we go - miserable photo sorry, leaving Newcastle, a Peak this time:

attachicon.gif09-02-08 (45).jpg

Still in Green, 47 358 being tied on at Lime Street for my journey home for a weekend of different flavour beer!  Raining of course - it is Liverpool.....

attachicon.gifscan0068.jpg

Just seen this post, Neil. I was doing the same, but in the opposite direction... studying in "Sheels", home was Liverpool...

Sadly my photos of this era were destroyed, back in 2008 :(

• 4 weeks later...

I almost forgot to add this gem ! On 19th July 1985, 45 148 expired while at Huddersfield, platform 1, waiting for the 'right away' on the 1248 to Holyhead, 56 084 was following on a tank train on the up main, this was quickly detached from the wagons, and put on the front of the express with only a short delay incurred. 

Edited by plarailfan
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I almost forgot to add this gem ! On 19th July 1985, 45 148 expired while at Huddersfield, platform 1, waiting for the 'right away' on the 1248 to Holyhead, 56 084 was following on a tank train on the up main, this was quickly detached from the wagons, and put on the front of the express with only a short delay incurred. 

Found Flickr by class 47583 network southeast -

47583 xe OC

Arriving at York with the 1225 Newcastle - Liverpool Trans Pennine service.

12 2 88

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hello found class 47706 scotrail been hauled from Newcastle to Liverpool of photo

also this one, judging by the condition of 47706 and weathering pattern I'd suspect the two photos were fairly close together time-wise. Also its not carrying nameplates in either, but an Eastfield westie

https://www.flickr.com/photos/138596289@N03/37698559451/in/photolist-ZrhYjX-wgphSe-dzXPfD-BLCWHf

I posted on th forum about that being a very rare combination on the Standedge route; the Deltics were reasonably common by then, but late mark 2s were a complete rarity in 1980; unless anyone can prove differently. We went to the York Show that year; can you remember the date it was?

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Towards the end of the loco-hauled Trans Pennines the rolling stock was really on its last legs, so substitutions occurred. The loco fleet was eventually supplemented by a number of Scottish machines displaced to the route by a batch of class 158 Sprinter Express units.

The 'Pennines' struggled on until they too were replaced by 158 units, the final south bound working from Newcastle being short-formed due to defective vehicles being removed from the set at Heaton - and even then not every coach had lighting. The Area Manager explained that this proved how much the 158s were needed. He may have regretted that comment the following week, which was plagued by 158 problems, a combination of teething problems and crew inexperience, leading to a worse service than the locos and stock managed.  

• RMweb Gold

I posted on th forum about that being a very rare combination on the Standedge route; the Deltics were reasonably common by then, but late mark 2s were a complete rarity in 1980; unless anyone can prove differently. We went to the York Show that year; can you remember the date it was?

Date - York. Always Easter weekend.

• RMweb Premium

Towards the end of the loco-hauled Trans Pennines the rolling stock was really on its last legs, so substitutions occurred. The loco fleet was eventually supplemented by a number of Scottish machines displaced to the route by a batch of class 158 Sprinter Express units.

The 'Pennines' struggled on until they too were replaced by 158 units, the final south bound working from Newcastle being short-formed due to defective vehicles being removed from the set at Heaton - and even then not every coach had lighting. 

I could cope with the lack of lighting, it was the lack of heat on a cold January evening/night that I objected to!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/58585785@N08/14721080316/in/photostream/

Simon

You guys make me feel old. I remember when these trains had Jubilees or Patriots up top. 

Then class 40s, which were not really an improvement.

Then Peaks.

(Contrary to popular opinion, I am not old enough to remember Claughtons.)

It was not unknown to be stood on Manchester (Exchange) waiting for one of these beauties, only for the loud speakers to announce it was 40 minutes late at Huddersfield. Always seemed to be 40 minutes. Perhaps that was a magic number.

Edited by Poggy1165
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I cant think of ever seeing a photo of a Network Southeast liveried Class 47 on the Trans-Pennine services, but thats not to say it never happened. They did get up to Scotland and Inverness at times so must've got up there somehow!!

I had 47573 London Evening Standard on a liverpool service from Manchester, it hung around the area as I saw it on GUS parcels from Bolton a short while later, will see if i can find the picture.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

I has seen Facebook of Transpennine of photo by class 47594 trainload Metals hauled Transpennine rolling stock at Huddersfield station on late 1990

47599 was a common sight for a while.

I cleared most of my 47401-420 on transpenine duties.

Other Gateshead regulars poppedup later, 47488 was the fake Rail Riders.

47475 and 47522 i recall as celebs that showed up.

Regular bankers at Vic included 31232 and 31242, Railfreight redstripe livery.

From my childhood years this route I saw regularly was..

Very Early 80’s 55’s, and class 124 for Hull, but also 45’s.

Early 1980’s 45s (I remember going to Patricroft to see 45147 after its crash at Weaste)

Mid 80’s 47/4 Generator series

Later 1980’s any 47/4s.

90’s Sprinters.

A lot of 47/4s would rotate through from Crewe, end up at Liverpool, Preston, (From Glasgow - Manchester or Blackpool), Stockport and end up on Transpenine or Manchester area Seaside runs or parcels workings.

You could get some rare 47s this way, celebs i remeber included 47637 Springburn, 47461 in Scotrail, 47527 (before being named Kettering, in its brand new Mainline livery), 47541 Queen Mother, 47508 SS Great Britain, 47620 Windsor Castle....etc

I saw 47461 in Manchester. the same week it later crashed at Liverpool Lime Street.

(Not my picture, but showing its end at Liverpool Lime Street).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stuarts-phots/5576775835

Edit, quick look at my notes puts revised NSE livery 47596 Aldeburgh Festival in the Manchester Area in summer 1991 also, though cannot confirm if it was on a Transpenine service.

Edited by adb968008