Simond

So, Steve & Newtz are well into the kiln dried sand.

I found this link from a couple of years back, as I wondered if coffee grounds would work - I drink quite a bit of coffee, and throw the grounds out every day...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67347-ballast-at-terminal-stations/

Any other thoughts for a loco shed? I'm a bit wary of the sand as it's heavy!

Best

Simon

Hi Simon,

I think that if you bring the ground level up to the required height with poly-filler and then just sprinkle on a light top coat of kiln sand while still wet, that should help to keep the weight down.  

Martyn.

I did buy a pot of pre-mixed filler, which contained "micro-balloons" for doing some filling on a window return - it was surprisingly "un-dense", so maybe that would be a solution.

Another approach would be thinner sleepers - there's little point in buying 3mm thick sleepers and burying 2.98mm of them! I'm going to investigate that option again - but Slaters didn't have any at the last Reading show.

I do like the idea of the coffee, it's light, and it's already a dark colour, and it's already ground....

Hi  Simon,

There are a lot of synthetic fillers on the market now and they are much lighter than the old Polyfilla, most are for filling just shallow holes which is fine for what we need.

C&L timber sleepers come in two thicknesses 3.2mm and 1.6mm.

Martyn.

The kiln dried sand isn't that heavy as all the moisture has been dried out, Canton as complete was 6X2 and even with all the timber surrounds wasn't that heavy at all, I could set up the layout in my own.

Archived