Glasgow George Square

taybridge

very nice work with the DBSO looks good

if you don't mind some constructive criticism the jumper cable socket under the secondmans window doesn't look right it should be a RCH/TDM cable same as were fitted to class 47/7s and class 86s. I have found some photos that you may find interesting http://1980sbrcoachingstockbyjohnlacy.fotopic.net/c1813258.html

http://ian8498.fotopic.net/p62905242.html

hope they are of some use to you

Nearly finished re-painting my Railfreight 37 into Scotrail large logo (though I don't have decals yet).

To go with the 37 and my Mk3 SLEPs, I have dug out my other orphan loco (a Bachy green class 25) and am in the process of repainting it into ETHEL #1 <_<

Nearly finished re-painting my Railfreight 37 into Scotrail large logo (though I don't have decals yet).

To go with the 37 and my Mk3 SLEPs, I have dug out my other orphan loco (a Bachy green class 25) and am in the process of repainting it into ETHEL #1 dry.gif

Hi Doug,

Looks like you have got the spraying sorted, very nice.cool.gif What number are you going to do the 37 ? reason I ask is because you have said you are doing an ETHEL, which makes me think you are not doing the 37 a 37/4 which I think you would be better to do, as the railfreight loco looks like it is a refurbished one which would have different nose side grilles to a standard 37. A 37/4 has the same grille set up as a 37/6 so would be a better choice. Just thought you ought to know, this may not bother you and it's your layout, but if you found out after you had renumbered it you might be just a little peeved. hope I haven't totally confused you.biggrin.gif

Cheers Peter,

Hi Doug

Love the photos they are all great...

Do you have a track plan layout and size of the layout...etc...?

I like your DBSO looks great... I have one in the Br Blue and have just had it fitted with LED lights and a DCC chip, and I have to say looks dam good when watching it go either way out of the station ...etc. I recommend getting that done...?

Regards

Jamie

Hi Doug,

Looks like you have got the spraying sorted, very nice.cool.gif What number are you going to do the 37 ? reason I ask is because you have said you are doing an ETHEL, which makes me think you are not doing the 37 a 37/4 which I think you would be better to do, as the railfreight loco looks like it is a refurbished one which would have different nose side grilles to a standard 37. A 37/4 has the same grille set up as a 37/6 so would be a better choice. Just thought you ought to know, this may not bother you and it's your layout, but if you found out after you had renumbered it you might be just a little peeved. hope I haven't totally confused you.biggrin.gif

Cheers Peter,

Seen photos of 37/4 with ETHEL, though not with SLEP yet. e.g 37/4 with ETHEL plus mk2 push pull on railtour, also class 47 with ETHEL etc etc. Sigh. So complicated. I think I will finish the decals on the ETHEL first - MUCH less complicated. Then worry about the 37 later.

Peter - you set high standards - which is good.

Doug.

Do you have a track plan layout and size of the layout...etc...?

Jamie - layout very small. L shaped with about 3.5 metres each side of the 'L'. This photo covers most of the track plan...

7 platforms in the main station

4 "main lines" lead into 7 hidden sidings

3 multiple unit / coach stock lines off platform 1

loco depot with about 8 or 9 lines in it....

that's it!

post-6913-126952408719_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Seen photos of 37/4 with ETHEL, though not with SLEP yet. e.g 37/4 with ETHEL plus mk2 push pull on railtour, also class 47 with ETHEL etc etc. Sigh. So complicated. I think I will finish the decals on the ETHEL first - MUCH less complicated. Then worry about the 37 later.

Peter - you set high standards - which is good.

Doug.

Hi Doug,

Ok so you are doing it as a 37/4, cool. It would'nt suprise if 37/4s and 47 were used with the ETHEL's, I think once the 37/4 started to arrive the ETHEL's would have been used for other things.

Look forwards to seeing the ETHEL sprayed up and finished.cool.gif I will dig out some info on 37/4s if you like.biggrin.gif

Cheers Peter,

Hi Doug,

Ok so you are doing it as a 37/4, cool. It would'nt suprise if 37/4s and 47 were used with the ETHEL's, I think once the 37/4 started to arrive the ETHEL's would have been used for other things.

Look forwards to seeing the ETHEL sprayed up and finished.cool.gif I will dig out some info on 37/4s if you like.:D

Cheers Peter,

Hi Peter

Not sure about the 37 to be honest... still not really decided - I will need to think some more before choosing the number! No rush.

In the meantime, I've found the ETHEL transfers available online.:D Run out of blue paint darn it! Will need to get some more to finish it.

Busy evening in East Melbourne... footy at the MCG and there are people and cars everywhere.

Doug.

re the ETHELS while they were used mainly on the sleepers it was not unusual to see them as part of the daytime trains to fort william presumably as a stock move to swap the ETHELS over if the one at the fort had a fault.

my primary school overlooked the west highland line and I had a great view from my clasrooms in primary 6 and 7

another move though not as common was the mexican bean (the class 104) being coupled to the back of one of the Obans to get it north for the summer season, and returning on the back of an Oban to Glasgow service at the end of the season.

re the ETHELS while they were used mainly on the sleepers it was not unusual to see them as part of the daytime trains to fort william presumably as a stock move to swap the ETHELS over if the one at the fort had a fault.

my primary school overlooked the west highland line and I had a great view from my clasrooms in primary 6 and 7

another move though not as common was the mexican bean (the class 104) being coupled to the back of one of the Obans to get it north for the summer season, and returning on the back of an Oban to Glasgow service at the end of the season.

Great memory to share with us.

Hmm yes, almost everything seems to have happened at one point or another. I saw a photo online of a 37 hauling an ETHEL followed by a DBSO at the head of a train. A railtour I think. Also a 47 hauling an ETHEL.

"Discovered" a Bachmann Mk1 full brake in Royal Mail NEA livery I purchased some years ago before I'd made the decision to go for early 1980's.

Now Royal Mail NEA is just too recent and not very Scottish, so it's gotta go.

Have been wondering what to do with this coach: blue/grey (already have one and easy to get), all blue (got two and easy to get) or SeaLink (hmmmmmm).

Then as fate would have it I popped into a model shop in Bendigo this afternoon, and there on display were three beautiful Tamiya blue paints.

Now, before you're aghast, I know that there may not have been any Mk1 full brakes in SeaLink livery (there's precious little info about them online and not many photos), nonetheless I've decided to give it a go, as the livery looks so interesting and fits the period and region so well.

So the coach is now all disassembled, masked up, and red, white and three blue paints purchased all set for a happy Sunday pottering. :D

Who knows whether I can get transfers, but who cares! The large white SeaLink lettering can always be completed by Letraset.

SeaLink coach behind class 45

Couple of SeaLink coaches behind class 45

SeaLink coach behind class 47 in Glasgow Central

Sealink coach behind class 27 in Paisley Gilmour Street

Have a happy Easter!

BTW I also have a couple of RES Royal Mail Super BG's. No idea what to do with them as I don't think they pre-existed the RES livery. Am I wrong??? Maybe ebay beckons...

What you can't see in my photos of the layout is my cat, Felicity, has been sneaking about on the layout and caused havoc. My wife calls her the station bomber, as she leaves the passengers and station furniture scattered to the four winds... Last time I saw Felicity up there she was sleeping on the MPD! :blink:

Happy days... white base coat completed on the SeaLink Mk1 this morning, just about to spray the red band around the windows :rolleyes:

Red band now painted. Next up is the light blue..., followed by mid blue and finishing (not today!) with dark blue...

Red band now painted. Next up is the light blue..., followed by mid blue and finishing (not today!) with dark blue...

Hi Taybridge.

Glad to see someone tackling a repaint of the Sealink coaches. I have some Fox transfers that I was going to use for my respray - would appreciate any thoughts on the colours you are using.

Cheers

Jeff

Introducing my half-finished SeaLink mk1 full brake. Still to paint ends and sole bar, weather the roof and underframe, and pick out details like the door handles.

Not bad for a first effort (few mistakes along the way, but now I know what to look out for, e.g. the red has turned out too red, needs to be slightly orangey). I think I will proceed at some stage with a few more Mk1's in SeaLink livery...

SeaLink train departs Glasgow George Square while an ancient (also half finished) BG is shunted around...

post-6913-127038336039_thumb.jpg

post-6913-127038340212_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Taybridge,

Can I put an order in for 6 sealink MK1's they look awesome!!!! What sort of spray gun do you use???

I would love a rake of them for the Glasgow- Blackpool special.

Gary in Tas

Hi Gary

Heh heh not good enough to sell I'm afraid. In any event, it took a day and a half to only half-complete one coach!

I use a Delta Mini Air Compressor with a Delta Precision Airbrush 81008. That was allegedly the best in the mid price range in stock at my local model shop in Melbourne.

I have found Tamiya Acrylic paints to airbrush much, much better than Humbrol Acrylic which has been a disappointment.

The SeaLink livery (as I have completed, not based on any realistic comparison) is:

* Tamiya white X-2 (good)

* Tamiya red X-7 (too red, should be more orange)

* Tamiya sky blue X-14 (lightest blue - good)

* Tamiya blue X-4 (mid blue - good)

* Tamiya clear blue X-23 (what I thought would be the darkest blue -but not nearly dark enough)

To achieve the darkest blue I had to mix X-4 and X-23 together - which was a bit of a surprise - seemed to end up much darker than each individually, so a bit of a hit and miss affair I'm afraid.

By far the most paint used is white. For 6 coaches one would need 4 pots of white I reckon, maybe two pots of red and perhaps get away with one pot each of the three blues.

Here's the order painted:

* white base covering the whole coach side

* mask around the window area then paint the red band over the window area

* mask everything above the waist (including white stripe below red band)

* also mask the diagonal white stripe below the waist, I recall something like 58mm wide with lower edge offset 4mm to the left of the upper edge

* first paint the lower half of each side light blue

* mask the top blue stripe area

* paint the rest of the lower half of each side mid blue

* mask the mid blue stripe area

* paint the lowest blue stripe

* take all the masking off and voila!

By the way I started off with my airbrushing thinking that Tamiya modeling masking tape was much better than the stuff from one's local hardware store (which is *much* less expensive). But if you choose the thinnest from your local hardware store and cut it to size with a sharp modeling knife it's just as good and will save you heaps.

The problem with the stuff from your hardware store is that the edges are a bit fuzzy/frizzy. But cut it with a scalpel and metal rule and you can achieve as sharp an edge as the Tamiya masking tape.

What's more, I think that the the Tamiya tape leaves more of an adhesive mark compared to the generic stuff, so generic plus scalpel and metal rule is by far the way to go!

And with the money saved you can get a latte or three or more...

Doug.