starting with a canal

Only done a little today finished the station wall and added the canopy mounts and lower fixings, I am now waiting to get the ply for the proper board before I can really start fastening anything to the board and bed things in properly..post-13362-0-82058700-1431937428_thumb.jpg

I will be adding a detailed interior to the parcel depot which will include a loading dock, parcel sorting area and lift to platform level. It will also include several parcel vehicles being loaded and unloaded. Also sharing the under station space will be the British Transport Police and parking for the police vehicles which will be modelled.

• 2 weeks later...

Slight change of plan after a new purchase this weekend and having seen another planned vehicle, I will be changing the plan for the parcel/royal mail depot resulting in the police station being put elsewhare and making a bigger space under the station. Once I have the ply baseboard later this month I can start then construction of the layout proper and start the real fun part of building a layout.post-13362-0-39883900-1433151291_thumb.jpg

My latest aquision is the Oxford models Leyland DAF 85 Royal mail artic and due shortly is the same vehicle in Parcelforce livery (sorry wallet)post-13362-0-43078700-1433190328_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well its been a little while now since I've done anything on the layout and after studying it for a few hours and pouring through numerous books I decided to make some changes. Firstly I'm setting the time period as mid to late 1990s, so I am keeping the road vehicles to the same time period, I will also look at the signage to keep that right too. The second thing is a change in the lower yard. I have moved the parcels office and changed the station under bridge from a road to a rail under bridge, the idea being that goods are delivered to other industies along the canal at the rear of the station. This will open up the types of wagon found in the yard and mean more use of mainline locos and more shunting. The Royal Mail depot will remain but that will be next to the British Rail access gate into the yard.post-13362-0-42739900-1435220482_thumb.jpg

The new BR yard offices and a couple of crew busespost-13362-0-19667200-1435220575_thumb.jpg

The underbridge with a class 37 showing where I will put the new line

• 2 weeks later...

Archived