A question of low relief

cromptonnut

Like to put some feelers out for opinions please.

I know that modules are supposed to be able to be orientated either way round, for flexibility.

But what if you have a board that can only be used one way, like on my return loop module, where there is a definite "outside" and "inside"?

Would it be acceptable to have low relief buildings, albeit with a protective back plate tight to the building outline rather than to have a random "sky board", to enhance what you can get on the board?  Or would it just look a bit silly really?

• RMweb Gold

I've thought about a standard board with a diagonal scenic break running corner to corner. This would allow, on both sides, a road to pass over the track/s at an angle, with a row of low relief buildings.

As your loop is definitely one-sided, then low relief should be ok. A whole circle of buildings would look good, and help hide the other side of the loop.

I wasn't going to quite go that far :) plus I've also found I have problems fitting a second track in on the inside or outside of the 36" radius loop on the boards I have (I probably should have made them a few inches wider but hey ho) because Peco track radius doesn't let me stay above 36" on the main line.  Of course, I could use small points or even the inside of a curved point because it still makes the 24" "siding" radius, and isn't dependent on anyone else's stock being able to go round it as long as the dedicated train I own that will use it will (and, of course, being out of the box Bachlimhornjan, will cope).

Drawing board beckons...

• RMweb Gold

A single track should be sufficient, just means a bit of signal man control is required.

Or, if you laid handbuilt track, the tighter radius loop could have the gauge eased slightly.

I was hoping to be able to have some kind of "Industry siding" off the main loop on the other half of the circle (I have a station on one part) but unless I hand build a point I can't make it happen - and I certainly won't be able to get that done in time for June if I'm going to make the rest of the module mildly presentable.

Archived