The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

I should have stuck to TRAINS - and no doubt I will....but...

RandyWales

Hi all....

I've been rather distracted for the last few months after I was bought an Aerial Photography quadcopter for my birthday.

However, things didn't go strictly according to plan on the maiden flight....

You may find my startled reaction amusing

Randall

Hi again....

Following my traumatic maiden flight, I have since managed to obtain some amazing aerial videography, including this

clip of a local railway cutting which hopefully demonstrates a quality that amateurs like yours truly can now aspire to.

Watch full screen if you can...

Randall

Marvellous stuff chaps. Who would have thought we could do this, only 5 or 6 years ago?

Just remember to comply with the Air Navigation Order and make sure that you're not flying in restricted airspace or an aerodrome traffic zone (an offence).

The penalties for falling foul of these regulations are very strict and WILL incur heavy fines (minimum of several thousands of £'s) and possibly jail sentences.

I believe the Data Protection Act also comes into play as well.

Happy flying.

• RMweb Gold

Hi again....

Following my traumatic maiden flight, I have since managed to obtain some amazing aerial videography, including this

clip of a local railway cutting which hopefully demonstrates a quality that amateurs like yours truly can now aspire to.

Watch full screen if you can...

Randall

Is that n gauge or OO?

Mike.

. Or are there now "stealth" copters?

There are, but those are a quite different beast.

Two inches high and using insect type wings. Used for surveillance.

Then there are the swarm bots. 5 or 6 inches in size, autonomous (no pilot flying them), which can swarm and attack an individual.

They can appear quite quickly, so sort of stealth, even if the buzzing noise must be quite loud.

Not science fiction, but being actively developed and at a fairly advanced stage.

I suppose the noise from the blades and motor rules out getting any train sounds on the videos. Or are there now "stealth" copters?

Hi....

The camera on my quad doesn't record sound, which is my preference as I've seen many videos where the noise of the blades is very distracting.

I won't be filming railways exclusively, so rather nice music accompanying the footage usually goes down well.

For railway footage, I would envisage recording sounds at ground level, and merging the track with the video during post-processing.

Randall

Is that n gauge or OO?

Mike.

Hi Mike...

:-)

I suppose the view is quite reminiscient of the modellers' normal viewing perspective in either scale.

To me, it goes to show how near to the real thing some of the more talented modellers hereabouts can actually attain.

Randall

As nice as the quadcopters are an out of control one doesn't quite instil the same sense of fear (and athletic ability) as a 90 series R/C helicopter that goes out of control!!

Like this one I saw last night on Rude Tube?

Randall

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all....

Another short video of a recent flight in Carmarthenshire...

The weather (and oncall) hasn't been kind recently...

Unfortunately, my quad crash-landed after the motors cut out earlier this week.

It landed in brush scrub and escaped damage, but it's going back to the vendor for a checkout.

Maybe I should get some modelling done?

Randall

• 1 month later...

Archived