The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Prompted by a post by Il Dottore on the merits of really well performed Shakespeare; and the inability to visit the playhouse every night, and having already seen enough uninspiring productions to last a lifetime.

What about the DVD options for enjoyment at home, that stand being viewed again and again?

Mine would be, in no particular order:

Taming of the Shrew, Dir. Jonathan Miller for the BBC, John Cleese as Petruchio, a part he was born for.

Much ado about nothing Dir. Branagh, with the lovely Em as Beatrice.

Henry V Dir. Branagh, and a large helping of All Branagh.

Macbeth Dir Nunn with McKellen and Dench up to no good.

Twelfth Night Dir. Nunn with Helena Bonham Carter totally distracted by emotion to perfection.

I could do with a few more, but they have to be really, really, good.

Honorary mention as a contemporary re-imagining 'Ten things I hate about you'. Very clever reworking of the Taming of the Shrew.

In the early-mid 90s the BBC showed some great animated Shakespeare that our kids really enjoyed; helped get them into it in an easy way.

Forgive me, but I'd like to see Jason Statham play Hamlet à la his persona in Crank. A Hamlet completely on edge, tired of the ghosts and the plotting. Unsure how the 2B speech would work, though.

Mal

Patrick Stewart as Macbeth takes some beating, his "Tomorrow, and tomorrow and

tomorrow" is profound, and his final line/word brings a whole new slant to what has been

happening. On a lighter note, Tennant and Tate in "Much Ado" is a feast of clowning and hilarity.

• RMweb Premium

I adored the BBC Hollow Crown Trilogy, and thought Ben Wishaws Richard II was awesome.

Agreed, and Wishaw's performance was the highlight - one of the very best performances on television. I am looking forward to the next series.

Nearly a total opposite, but I have always enjoyed 'Shakespeare in Love'. There are some excellent performances, and plenty of very clever references to other Shakespeare plays, as well as his contemporaries, with the script - co-written by Tom Stoppard.

In the Hollow Crown's Henry IV Part 1 and Part 2 there is a superb depiction of Falstaff by Simon Russell Beale whilst in David Tennant's Hamlet there is a quite brilliant piece of acting by Mark Hadfield as the gravedigger with poor Yorick, alas.

My English Lit O Level (remember those) involved studying MacBeth. As it was 1983 we got to watch both the McKellern/Dench production and the Polanski film. I thoroughly enjoyed both, for different reasons. The stage production was theatre in its purest form, eschewing elaborate sets and costumes, relying instead on the considerable talents of the actors to hold the audience. The film, on the other hand, did a pretty good job of conveying post-Dark Ages filth and brutality.

I'm reminded that it's now more than 30 years since I saw either; a situation which I'm now prompted to rectify.

...Nearly a total opposite, but I have always enjoyed 'Shakespeare in Love'. There are some excellent performances, and plenty of very clever references to other Shakespeare plays, as well as his contemporaries, with the script - co-written by Tom Stoppard.

Me too. OK, one has to forgive the liberty of having QEI in the playhouse, but the general underlying theme that Shakespeare captured and expressed the voice of the age as the English language found its feet is very well done. Is it prejudice to believe that the constantly enlivening wit is pretty much all attributable to Stoppard?

[Tangent] 'Topsy Turvy' offers more of the same relating to the creation of the Gilbert and Sullivan D'Oyly Carte operettas centred on 'The Mikado'. [/Tangent]

I'm hardly a Shakespearian freak but I do like quite a few of his works that have been adapted to more modern films, television programmes from the 70's and 80's were to 'dry' for me and put me off rather.

Anyway, a choice from me would be the underrated "Coriolanus" from 2011, set in a slightly futurist state of Rome and starring Ralph Fiennes, Brian Cox, Gerald Butler and more. Still a little on the dry side but highly watchable, I thought!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1372686/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_20

Archived