This is a small layout I've been working on, mainly to display my 3D Printed rolling stock. It's inspired by Cardiff Allied Steel and Wire and will be based on a period from 1980-Present.

The layout is built on a module which drops into an Ikea APA box, the APA box is fitted with LED lighting.

post-146-0-06779300-1429211007_thumb.jpg

Trackwork is Peco Code 55 and points are thrown with SEEP Point Motors.

post-146-0-15283600-1429211094_thumb.jpg

For the control panel I have used an ABS project box from Maplin. I used my Silhouette Portrait to cut out a template of the trackplan which I then sprayed in VW Tornado Red.

post-146-0-77510900-1429211221_thumb.jpg

Switches are standard toggle ones. The panel is connected to the layout via a 25 way D, the 15 way D is from the controller/power supply to panel.

Here's the plan:

post-146-0-47496200-1429211539_thumb.jpg

I've since sprayed the track with a shade of brown car paint and I'm now ballasting it!

All the best,

Jack

If you need any pictures check out some images on br2975 posts, he has an unhealthy fascination with the place and is a bit of a CELSA stalker. ( I can say it as he's my brother. )

There are also images on an old thread called castle works. For your info.

Will follow with interest.

Paul.

A quick update! The ballasting is complete, hopefully it reflects the less than perfect PWay in some of these sidings. The ballast is a mix of sand and Woodland Scenics' Fine Ballast. Once the PVA dried I dusted it with a bit of dark brown spray. Before I did the ballasting I sprayed the track brown and dry-brushed the sleepers with a little grey. The parts of the track which lack ballast will be set in concrete. Next job will be to add vegetation around the track.

Sorry for the naff photo and inappropriate stock, I'll take a better one when the sun appears again!

post-146-0-33744100-1429300065_thumb.jpg

All the best,

Jack

A quick update! The ballasting is complete, hopefully it reflects the less than perfect PWay in some of these sidings. The ballast is a mix of sand and Woodland Scenics' Fine Ballast. Once the PVA dried I dusted it with a bit of dark brown spray. Before I did the ballasting I sprayed the track brown and dry-brushed the sleepers with a little grey. The parts of the track which lack ballast will be set in concrete. Next job will be to add vegetation around the track.

Sorry for the naff photo and inappropriate stock, I'll take a better one when the sun appears again!

attachicon.gifASWTW004.JPG

All the best,

Jack

looks good. Keep going, stock doesn't really matter at this stage but the layout looks great at this stage!

Matthew

I design a lot of my models on the computer both for 3D Printing as well as for cutting out with my Silhouette Portrait.

Here's the design for the scrap bay:

post-146-0-42299800-1429370872_thumb.jpg

And the Rod Mill which runs along the back:

post-146-0-44565500-1429370877_thumb.jpg

The models will be cut from plasticard sheet and detailed with 3D Printed parts.

All the best,

Jack

I design a lot of my models on the computer both for 3D Printing as well as for cutting out with my Silhouette Portrait.

attachicon.gifScrap_Bay.jpg

attachicon.gifRod_Mill.jpg

The models will be cut from plasticard sheet and detailed with 3D Printed parts.

All the best,

Jack

looks good! nice to see some people in this world are using 3D printing, and now it's becoing 

attachicon.gifScrap_Bay.jpg

attachicon.gifRod_Mill.jpg

All the best,

Jack

Really good work! Nice to see more people are using 3D printing technology and modelling has become more modernised

Matthew

Jack

Some shots of the 'old' scrap bay at ASW / Celsa, Tremorfa Works - hope they are of assistance ?

Inside, the railway line and wagons were protected from the piles of 'frag' (fragmentises scrap) by large concrete wall sections about the height of a JNA or SSA box wagon. The concretet got battered and worn down over the years.

The floor apparently had steel (railway) rails laid into the ground, but you would be hard pressed to find them !.

The shot including 08782 shows how big the building was.

Sometimes baled scrap would fall between the wagons, and it was not unheard of for wagons to be derailed when they hit the lumps of scrap.

I have lots more photos taken in and around the place if you need any for inspiration etc.

Brian R

post-1599-0-30760000-1429540227_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-21611000-1429540284_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-22038300-1429540316_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-44608500-1429540384.jpg

post-1599-0-32785600-1429540505_thumb.jpg

Inside the billet warehouse at the Cardiff Rod Mill (Castle Works).

The empty wagons brought in the billets stacked alongside - which will later be moved by the overhead crane in the distance into the rod mill proper where they will be reduced into re-bar and/or coil.

The crane in the far distance would be loading the coils into SPA wagons.

All sirens and flashing lights, not a soul in sight.

Hope this helps

Brian R

post-1599-0-33487900-1429548605_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting the photos Brian, the detail of the steelwork structure on the scrap bay is especially nice! I have a few photos of it myself but unfortunately I was more interested in the Class 08 than building itself and I when went there a few weeks ago it was gone!!!

I'm thinking perhaps I should widen the scrap bay structure and scratch build the steelwork rather than relying on the Plastruct stuff I have which is a bit chunky.

Now you mention flashing lights and sirens I quite fancy adding some lights and sound to the finished model!

All the best,

Jack

There's more milk floats than just the one, although they are used by the engineers in the Section Mill at Tremorfa.

The sirens and lights at Castle sound when shunting inside the works occurs.

Although it's done by two radio controlled Hunslet refurbished Thomas Hill shunters  these days, unless one fails then they use a Hunslet refurbished 08 that these days is rather clapped out!

It needs to be used quite often....

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jack,

Despite its relatively small size your project has enormous potential for you to showcase some new and innovative techniques, and for some eye-catching scenic treatments too.

It's a great idea and I am looking forward to following your progress - thanks for posting and please keep the updates coming!

cheers

Ben A.

• 2 weeks later...

I've made a bit of progress. I've cut out the corrugated plasticard sheet on the Silhouette Cameo and started building the less-than-half-relief structure along the back.

post-146-0-72094400-1430595033_thumb.jpg

I've got some 3D Printed supports which will carry a pipe across the layout. I'll probably use brass tube for the pipe if I can get a nice 90 degree bend in it.

post-146-0-72483900-1430595044_thumb.jpg

The next job is sorting out the overpass to hide the exit to the fiddle yard.

All the best,

Jack

Nice Jack.

The bigger the buildings the better - until you see them in real life, you don't realise how big some mill buildings are.

Is that the Celsa insulated billet carrier in the foreground of the last photo ?

Brian R

Nice Jack.

The bigger the buildings the better - until you see them in real life, you don't realise how big some mill buildings are.

Is that the Celsa insulated billet carrier in the foreground of the last photo ?

Brian R

Hi Brian,

It is indeed one of the insulated billet carrying BDA conversions. Do you know why some carriers are open and some are insulated even within the same train?

I documented the build in my rolling stock thread here.

All the best,

Jack

I've made a start this evening on the scrap bay. It's smaller than the scrap bay that was at Celsa but that's necessary given the small amount of space it has to fit in. Hopefully it's still large enough compared to the stock.

post-146-0-57722900-1430861455_thumb.jpg

Now I have to make up 6 more vertical supports, which is quite time consuming as they are a layered lattice which has to be built up from a kit of parts I cut out.

All the best,

Jack

None of the Bays at either Castle or Tremorfa have fan type vents, or angled roofs.

All have a hole in the top of the main roof, with a in the style of the old Airfix engine shed vented gable cover to the gable roof.

Some don't have the vents just the cover in the older ones.

As Brian says all the bays are rather big!

Also the supports are always rectangular and have the Z shape rather than the X, longer side of the rectangle to the width of the bay.

If the support has another function other than holding up the roof the rectangle is increased in size to support it and then you might get the odd X lattice.

The new New Melt Shop is the only exception to the venting, that has a forced air system that sucks the discharge from the arc furnace to a dust plant that collects it and someone bags it for resale for processing.

Corrugated sheets on the bays etc basically old style before the 70's,  what you think of later after that. 

Castle is all later corrugated sheets, so joins don't appear that often on the sides or the roof. 

The insulated covers on ex BDA's don't have vents to them, the idea is that when the billets get to Castle from Tremorfa is that the are warmer so do not need as much time in Castle's reheat furnace to be made into what they will be.

Help that helps.

I do wonder how you will have the Driver/shunter walk alongside either one end of the train or his radio controlled 08 though!

I would only concentrate on the external apearance of the various buildings - and just a little inside the doorways.

Obviously, the scrap bays, being open, are a different prospect.

As for the new melt shop, would any sane modeller try building this, if it was to be hidden again ...... ? 

post-1599-0-78353100-1431537547_thumb.jpg

Archived