Georgetown, CT O Scale 2 Rail Layout

Gordy

Hi Pete

I was feeling a bit 'retired' and Colin had posted sound advice about contacting P&D.  So I just sent Gordy a PM offering the odd bit, if I've got it, from my Weaver box.  It's usually a straightforward fix and if it helps someone who's racing ahead with an O-scale layout, so much the better.

Jason

In March i visited some great layouts and everywhere I went I was given a great schematic of the railroad so I thought I would try and build one for the Norwalk Valley(the master plan). what do you think? 

post-10500-0-94855900-1431555505_thumb.jpg

Lloyd, just make the ties long enough to get that third rail on.  Or more sensibly(?) have an interchange shed as an 'industry' - just the end of a standard gauge box car on 10" of track with a freight platform and then On30track, similar to the Sandy River/Maine Central and others.  Put it in a corner with no need for anything else - for a while....

Jason

ps: come to the Winchester Meet on Oct 17:  www.winchesterogaugemeet.co.uk  cooked breakfast is excellent

Haha its a great start but a slippery slope.

Is that Lloyd's sleepless night wondering what roadname standard gauge boxcar to put in the shed, or the 'excellent breakfast' at the Winchester Meet?

Anyway, the organiser's email is on the website.  He knows me (I have a table there this year) and he'll have basic questions about size, etc, so make life easy for me and contact him first.  There's a continuous run track and if you have capacity some backwards and forwards locos will no doubt be available!  Go on, go on, go on.  Sorry unexpected Father Ted, well Mrs Doyle, input there.  The wife's having her hip done today and I brought a brief smile to her lips in the hospital this morning with a "Don't touch that green button Dougal" - a wall with just one button - hmmm.  Great day, O-scale all over the dining table.

Jason

Ok Jason, i will contact them, i need to create a layout factsheet first.

Enjoy the use of the dining table, the best dinners are enjoyed with a box car or 3 in the middle of the table

Haha no this is layout number 2, (AKA the old mans) its british O scale 40ft x20ft and it will be multi level, when i finish it. But its good for test running.

Ok guys do i am constantly refining this cellar plan, although soon its going to have to be finalised because the staging yard will be going in. I have managed to incorporate ridgefield in my latest plan and expect to have train lengths of about 6 car and a caboose. I am a bit worried that this plan will be a bit nose to tail, theres no real runnig again theres no real room a helix would take up a lot of space, what do you guys think?

post-10500-0-20413900-1432046690_thumb.jpg

Looks fine to me, for what is worth. If you feel you want some open countryside running then one of your switching areas is going to have to go, or you could have a plain line module/ photo plank to swap in the place of one of them to simplify things if you want that.

Doesn't help that the obvious one to my eyes is the one that's pretty much built already...

I have tried to simplify the Cannondale boards so that its a bit less of a "shunting plank". I am tempted to scrap the staging a fit a helix and build another level. has anyone built a O scale helix before? 

post-10500-0-08171200-1432057527_thumb.jpg

Hi Gordy,

Don't be offended but I'm sensing a hint of "fill up the space with track" syndrome. I worked through a switch job in each town on your plan, starting out from the staging area, and I feel you have some industries that will be very hard to switch realistically (if that matters?). For example, as it stands, switching the oil dealer, creamery and packing house in Branchville would involve a lot of single car moves, plus pulling and re-spotting cement cars of they're not finished loading/unloading. I think you could get more realistic switching and longer trains in the available space by having less track, longer spurs and fewer, larger industries with multiple spots.

I know I've come over all Mindheimish (sorry), and I understand the need to take out modules/sections to go to shows, but I think there's a good compromise to be made. You have a good-sized space there and I reckon I'd look at a few more options before going the helix route!

Just my 2 cents (sorry penn'orth).  ;)

Pete  

Archived