NO PLACE

Les1952

Six weeks later...

The Ruston has arrived, together with an Army Barclay.  Both built by David Temple, the Ruston from the Mike Edge kit- two and a half days of work to make it but it looks brilliant and following chipping is running in.  Being a small 4-wheeler it won't get that much use as the tiniest bit of dirt will stall it, but it can sit near the front and stir occasionally.  I've numbered it 101, even though the real 101 was a Planet.  Had East Stanley pit actually developed into an opencast site and wagonworks it is doubtful it would have needed anything bigger to shunt the site.  It may have to have a running truck but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

post-13358-0-58026000-1443790163_thumb.jpg

Note in the background the long wall is progressing, though it will have to have a coat or two of better greys than I've used at the far end.   there will be a cable run along the horizontal join in the wall.  Above the wall the grey houses have gone back whence they came as unsuitable.

The Barclay is in bits waiting for me to chip it- I note the instructions for chipping a Black beetle are here on RMWeb somewhere....

Plenty still to do.

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Got something done at last

I've been trying different solutions to the problem of the wall and finally gone for Redutex.  With hindsight I should have used the O-gauge stuff as the stones are bigger, but at least these are the right colour, or as near as I can get.  I've got to weather it a little, and put some vegetation into assorted crevices.

post-13358-0-63154100-1448307820_thumb.jpg

The capping isn't added yet.  I've also started the ballasting, which will be a long and boring job.  

post-13358-0-37224900-1448307819.jpg

The different shades are me trying out different mixes to get one that works.

Les

• Like 3

A wall and some stone...

I've got the ashlar walling done for the full length of the back wall.  Only the arch and lane edge still to do.  Capping is by Metcalfe Models (granite setts).  The smallest ones cover the wall top at the right with the biggest ones going on the left.

post-13358-0-61921400-1448935573_thumb.jpg

Ballasting and rail painting is moving from right to left- but I've run out of ballast.  Stinking cold and miserable weather means no Railway Club tomorrow.  I'll dive down to Steve's shop on Wednesday morning on the bus and see if he has got anything suitable.

Meanwhile I've DCC fitted the diesel I got from David Temple's collection.  Black Beetle drives are incredibly easy to do, except I managed to push in one of the rear cab windows- now fixed with Micro-Kleer.

post-13358-0-16473500-1448935575_thumb.jpg

It now has a pair of Brassmasters nameplates "SWIFTSURE" conering the MOD lettering.  I'll leave it as no.278 258 at least for the time being.  I've also got a resin 0-6-0T kit to build- something else I forgot to get at Warley was the extra fittings for it.  Not a real hurry to do that.  Besides I'm at Doncaster for the whole show in February with Hawthorn Dene.  The bits might get remembered there.

Perhaps this cold might let me get back to sleep.  Silly O'clock...

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

Just a quick pic showing ballasting progressing, and the new diesel with dodgy nameplate.  The one on the other side is straighter...

post-13358-0-07540300-1449110298_thumb.jpg

Les

edited because I've just noticed how industrial the track in the foreground looks when viewed at low level.

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Update

I'm still ballasting!  However No Place is going to have to go back on the workbench again early- Furtwangen Ost has had a point disintegrate and will need to be erected this side of Christmas to replace it as it needs a lot of scenery digging up.

post-13358-0-67492700-1449934176_thumb.jpg

No Place on the stands.  While up on here I've ballasted round the points in particular.  On the stands I can get to the back of the layout to work the points and keep them clear of glue and ballast.

post-13358-0-54861900-1449934173_thumb.jpg 

Ballasting proceeding.  this picture was taken after a vacuuming session, which is why the gaps and holes are more apparent.  One disaster- the point to the left of the picture has become detatched from its operating wire, and even after loosening the ballast and lifting it slightly no way was the wire going to go back.  I've shortened the offending wire and wrapped it round and superglued it to the pip on the end of the tie bar.   I've also araldited the point lever into its new place- hopefully I'll get a pin in to keep it there.  If not it will have to be the expensive route- a side-mounted point motor and a point decoder to operate it.  That can wait until after next June when the first-half-of-year shows are done

post-13358-0-91413100-1449934174_thumb.jpg

Progress up to lunchtime today.  All but one of the points run, and the Kernow shed is now glued into place and bedded in.  The base area for the lasercut shed is well on its way to being ready.  The passenger platform has been checked for clearances and glued into place. REVENGE on clearance testing duties.  Finishing the platform doesn't need the layout to be on the stands. Greenery amongst the ballast can be applied over the next month or two also.  Hopefully I can move the layout back onto the bench tomorrow.

Scenery needs to be worked on next in any case if I am to convince Chris Burch in February to let me take it to Braunstone next November.

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 2

Progress with the shed.

post-13358-0-02675600-1450392080_thumb.jpg

The bricked up windows have been done, and interior mostly coloured.   A coat of weathered blue has been applied to the doors.  Glazing has yet to be applied, and then the shed can be bedded in ready for a weathering and some appropriate lean-to structures and vegetation to be added.   There are no roof ventilators because it was a wagon repair shop - or at least that's my story.  Nowadays the Presevation Society uses it to store locos and stock, which are dragged outside to be steamed up.

post-13358-0-38826500-1450392078_thumb.jpg

The RSH kit has been washed in soapy water and the biggest bit is now in the "paint booth" for a coat of primer.  I came back into the house today forgetting to apply it.  There's always tomorrow.

Meanwhile, having totally failed to get the wire-in-tube for the left-hand-end point replaced and working, I've been out and bought a PL11 side-mounted motor.   Fitting this was a doddle.  That means wiring it to work DCC will be a nightmare.  Before I do any more in that direction I'll go and have a chat with Jeremy at Digitrains. No doubt he'll give plenty of brilliant advice (as usual) then sell me something expensive.....

Les

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some ballasting done

and also some work on the screens.

post-13358-0-90228600-1452782502_thumb.jpg

The ballasting was done over the weekend.  Having noted on Monday that it wasn't dry, then spent Tuesday and yesterday otherwise occupied, there seems to be a lot of rain with white bits in it today meaning I can't take the vacuum cleaner out to the shed.  In between servicing locos for Hawthorn Dene I had a blitz on the screening house.  Looking at how the building is progressing the roof is going to prove interesting at the very least.

post-13358-0-17361500-1452782501_thumb.jpg

It looks better with wagons underneath it.   I need to complete the input hoppers and then test the chutes with the imitation coal.  No chance of using real coal as thie dust generated by it is conductive....   I've not yet decided whether to glue the screens in place and add a protective box round the ends of the chutes.  It might be easier than placing the whole screening house on the layout and tidying up the sky every time I move the layout.....

Also in the view (just) is the PL11 motor I've had to buy to work the king point.  At some stage I've got to lay the layout on its back to wire it in via a point decoder.  The red wagon is a Parkside Dundas rebodied hopper I'm building on a Mainline hopper chassis due to my complete inability to assemble a hopper chassis square enough to actually work.

More later.

Les

Edited by Les1952

Vacuumed again.

Surprisingly little ballast came up this time- there are still a couple of holes that need patching, however.  Tomorrow might be a patching session as I've yet to get on to the foliage bits in the yard.  I've got a bit more done along the top of the wall- the far end is beginning to look a little closer but still a long way off. 

post-13358-0-35112400-1452959304_thumb.jpg

On the screening house some black paint so the chutes can't be seen from inside. The windows have been installed and painted over with thick thinners to make them a bit opaque.  The first of the roof parts added- they don't fit as supplied (the whole screening house is basically Walthers and Ratio parts assembled in the wrong order.  I'll probably clad the top edge of the chutes with corrugated iron until it passes through the sky.  There are two conveyor belts in the Walthers kit.  I'm wondering if one might appear from somewhere and seem to deposit into the top of the screening house to partially hide the chutes.  On the other hand it might help the scenery of the left hand end if it appears rising at an angle.

Plenty still to think about.

Les

A little more done

Despite it being a bit cold I've got some more done this week- a pair of longer sessions are scheduled for Tomorrow and Sunday.  

post-13358-0-63842000-1453473896_thumb.jpg

A partial first coat of rusty black added to the screening house- I didn't do the whole of the wiggly tin as I was starting to run out of places to hold it.  The flat roof of the upper floor hasn't been added yet.  A trip into town is called for in order to get some suitable plasticard.

post-13358-0-78981200-1453473897_thumb.jpg

The RSH now has its chip and the body has been attached to the chassis.  Only problem is that I can't tell whether the chip is in the right way round- the Cabs are refusing to talk to the programming track.  I'm going to sort out a new programming track before doing any more.  

Plenty yet to do.

Les

• Like 2

More progress 

... but nothing to photograph.

I've now attached the chimney and the cab back to the RSH.  However, when I got the programming track relaid, and discovered the fault was in the lead I was using, I was finally able to discover that I HAD put the chip in the wrong way round.  It is now corrected and I've set the address to 65 as that was the number of HENRY C.EMBLETON on the Pelaw Main Railway.  As this was connected to the Beamish Railway at one time it is possible- though not likely- that it could have visited South Stanley Colliery. The loco behind - No.5 MAJOR - certainly did as this was a Beamish Railway engine from new for sixty years.

post-13358-0-91573200-1453587023_thumb.jpg

My reality is that after Derwenthaugh finished with it the preservation group acquired it.   The kit isn't identical as Embleton had a curved bunker back and the kit has the postwar version.  It won't have a nameplate fitted, only a number.

Other progress is that the wall capping is getting nearer the far end, there is some more of the ballast done, and the backscene now has its white protective top finished.

Yawn.....

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

March arrives...

and No Place is back on the trestles.  About three to four weeks to work on it before Furtwangen Ost gets put on the trestles ready for Trainwest in April.  At the moment I'm concentrating on getting the layout running in its (largely) ballasted state.  I've also put a patch point and a cab holder on the back so I can leave it with the electrickery thingies plugged in for now.

post-13358-0-94982100-1456951550_thumb.jpg

The corner with the screens is getting there.  The wiggly tim tin is getting towards the colour I want and a roof and fascia board are in place with a first coat of paint applied to each.  The tree in the corner is now planted ready for som hedgy-stuff to go round the back of it.   I'm thinking of splitting the houses into two blocks of four with a poky alleyway between them.  They have lighting (the odd wires going up into nowhere) so I'm also thinking of wiring them in via a push to make-push to break switch. The PL-11 point motor on the point in the foreground also needs wiring in.  I've a feeling I'm going to have to motorise a point nearer the back of the layout.  I'll need to decide soon as it is partly obscured by the laser-cut shed, and any change needs doing before I bed that in.

post-13358-0-35422100-1456951552_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile the "Not a Ruston and Hornsby" is nearly complete, and I've been using it to find the bumpy bits in the track and ballast that needs sorting out.  Next job with tis is to letter it, or maybe line it out first- then apply judicious (or lots of) weathering.

Still plenty to get on with.

Les

Edited to remove a random layabout called Wiggly Tim.

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A little more work done.

I've got the electric point wired in and working off the cab.  A second point has reared its ugly head and is also wired in but isn't throwing.  After I've vacuumed the layout tomorrow I'll chase the wiring and see what I've done wrong.

No.65 has had the first couple of white lines (BR blue/grey coach lining) and is waiting for me to get the energy to do some more.   

All track cleaned and all running again, except for the one point that won't throw.

Les

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Progress again.

Two areas worked on today- in between spasms of weathering a pair of A2s for Hawthorn Dene.  The changing from one to the other and back kept me working while glue or paint dried.

The corner with the tree now has walls and a bit of backscene to help make a mini-park (fancy name for a bit of grass at the end of a terrace....)  I didn't get that photographed but I'll try to remember tomorrow.

post-13358-0-89260400-1461424522_thumb.jpg

The long wall has had the contents of the dirty thinners jar painted onto another part, and is beginning to look the part.  Still a lot of work to do adding lichens and things yet.   Grass clumps purchased at TrainWest starting to appear.  I got even more from Jacky Mogford (Derby Trees) at Cotgrave so the ground can progress as well.  I'm not sure how much weathering to give No.49.  It is very clean in preservation, but I remember it even cleaner in service.   Perhaps just enough to take away the plastic sheen...

Another shed day tomorrow.

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Some foliage added.

While at Stamford show yesterday I looked at a layout that was using some couplings I hadn't seen before These seemed to work impeccably so I asked about them.  They turn out to be Roco, and are readily available to fit NEM pockets.  I've sent off for a pack so I can trial them.  Making NEM pockets might be interesting, but I have quite a few wagons and a couple of locos that already have them.  Perhaps enough to work the layout, leaving the unfitted locos pottering around the front in the preservationists area.

post-13358-0-19894600-1462127946_thumb.jpg

I've been touching up the shed, doing the edges of the roof to start with.  The paint doesn't match the acrylic stuff used on the top, but I should be able to transition it with chalks or pastels and some green licheny stuff.  First I've got to put another coat of blue on the doors and barge boards.  The position has had to be adjusted, and I'll get the ground work to fit to the shed once it is in place.  

post-13358-0-42699200-1462127947_thumb.jpg

The platform is advancing, with a bit of groundwork getting done by it.  The steps at the left end are going to remain unfinished, with foliage in place showing that they have been unfinished for years.  I'm going to cap the bits of wall that are showing, and then put railings along the back and over the left end at the top of the unfinished steps.

post-13358-0-40192300-1462127948_thumb.jpg

More of the vegetation appearing near the screening house.  I'm going to add the uncoupling magnets before finishing this.  The ones I saw at Stamford were a lot neater than the ramps for the Tension Locks that are presently there.

More tomorrow, including starting painting a pipe that will cross above the tracks somewhere in the foreground of the third picture..

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

More Wall Work

post-13358-0-14670300-1462523465_thumb.jpg

Another wash of dirty thinners, this time with some green "burnt grass" flock dust rubbed in while still wet.  I've still got a lot of the wall to do again, but it is starting to look the way I want it to finish up.

post-13358-0-54192200-1462523466_thumb.jpg

I've got railings attached to the platform, and can now move towards finishing it.  The coach is the three-axle one I found a lot of years ago in the duff bits bin on a toyfair stand.  It has had a little restoration since then and runs just about well enough.

The pack of Roco couplings arrived yesterday- enough to do twelve items of stock.  I've also ordered a pack of boxes to fit them onto non-NEM stock.  There are a couple that will do easily. A pack of Roco magnets is also on its way.  More pics eventually- shed day Saturday and Derby show on Sunday...

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 3

Playing with couplings.

Most of today has been taken up with getting Hawthorn Dene's new fiddle yard exit sorted, so not a lot done here.  There is a nice jar of used thinners nearly ready to do some more of No Place's long wall so expect some progress in about a week.  I've also abandoned the lining on the RSH tank- it doesn't sit well on a tank side that is two fabricated parts with a single rivetted seam between them.  I'll just letter the loco and then weather it.  I also had a handrail knob snap off as I tried to rotate it so I'm going for grab irons at the cab doors instead.  One done, three to go.  Pics to follow when the loco looks like something.

However on a more positive note I've been playing with the Roco couplings, though the magnets for them haven't appeared yet.  They are a doddle to fit into anything with an NEM pocket, and a simple glue-on to a Hornby WD saddletank.  that takes care of the major shunting at the screens- the Hornby WDs are the best locos for this.  I may retain tension locks on the coach and dedicate the Beattie and a couple of others to the preserved passenger service.  On the other hand, the Beattie has NEM pockets so I might try to fit Roco couplers to the coach. The trial packs only contained enough couplings for twelve items of stock.

post-13358-0-68400000-1462640158_thumb.jpg

Revenge with Roco coupler glued in place where the tension lock normally sits.

post-13358-0-34536300-1462640155_thumb.jpg

A Dapol and a Hornby hopper wagon separated by a centimetre or so.  These and Revenge couple together quite readily on straight(ish) track.  

post-13358-0-86607900-1462640157_thumb.jpg

The Dapol Hornby hopper coupled to Revenge.  To uncouple manually you use a right-angled spade tool similar to the ones for tension locks.  First trials seem to show it is as good as Tension locks- and if the magnets are OK then I'm in business.

post-13358-0-80324000-1462640159_thumb.jpg

There are six in a pack of magnets, so that should be enough to place them everywhere I want one.  I'll have to see how they need to be placed, but they should be a sight less obtrusive than the ramps for tension locks.

Tea time I think.

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

Preliminary fiddling with the couplings being encouraging, I've ordered a bulk pack of coupler heads. The adaptor plates that are a separate item are no use to me as they are meant for bogie coaches.

Hopefully the magnets won't be that long in coming.

Les

• 1 month later...

Now that Furtwangen is back from Sleaford & District show (best in show) I've got No Place up on the trestles again.

I've been spending some time playing with couplers and I think I'm going for tension locks with neodymium magnets on the droppers and at track level.  The hooks and magnets will be on one end only, with older or kitbuilt engines having no hooks. 

I've also abandoned the filling system in the screens following trials as too much "loose" coal missed the wagons and couldn't be retrieved.  I'm reverting to the Hawthorn Dene system of wagons passing through a hole in the end scene, empties outwards and fulls back.

Pictures of both to follow, probably not today as it is club day.

Les

• Like 1

The final magnetic uncoupler system

The best way to uncouple seemed to be to use neodymium magnets- I bought a pack of flat ones to lay between the rails and little can ones to stick on the wagon couplers.

post-13358-0-50253600-1467120646_thumb.jpg

Showing the flat magnet between the rails- far enough inboard for wheels to miss it.  Like the big Kadee magnets it does attract steel axles but that isn't going to be too much of a problem as locos can push wagons over them.

I abandoned the ROCO couplers after discovering that I needed to have everything fitted with them, and that all couplers needed a magnet underneath to work.  This caused two problems

• The magnet in the track needed doubling in length to lift  both couplers of a pair together, and
  • There was no way I could pull a pair of wagons over the magnet without uncoupling.

So back to tension locks.  In this case the tiny magnet needs to be glued to the SIDE of the dropper, making sure the pole that repelled the undertrack magnet is down.  That is done by painting that end black - "black to track"

post-13358-0-27703900-1467120654_thumb.jpg

Only the end of each wagon facing away from the screens is done.  Locos with tension locks already have the hook removed from the screen end and a magnet attached to the other end.  Locos without tension locks can only couple to wagons coming out of the screens but this isn't really an issue.

post-13358-0-55234800-1467120647_thumb.jpgpost-13358-0-76809600-1467120648_thumb.jpg

Views showing coupled and uncoupled.  The advantage here is the hook latches under the bar on the other wagon, and, when the wagon is being pulled, the hook is prevented from lifting as it passes over the magnet.  Simples.... why did it take me so long to work it out?

More to follow on the revised screens (eventually)

Les

• Like 1

Some more bits done.

The new holes in the end are done- and I can add and remove wagons through them.

post-13358-0-12138000-1467730633_thumb.jpg

Looking out through the new holes.  Looking the other way there is now some light showing through the screens, so there is much less of a black hole there.  As the loading chutes are no longer in use I've now removed them from the screening house, which will allow me to make a roofline that actually works, and I've re-done the backscenes at the end.

post-13358-0-56652800-1467730627_thumb.jpg

A new house has appeared on the top level.  It needs some work on the back where there aren't any windows currently, and it is a little too obvious presently that the roofline is continuous behind the upstairs windows.  However, it is square and I can modify an existing building much more successfully than I can make a new one square.  Behind this I've started installing the vegetable garden (or allotment, I'm not sure which.)   I'll use wargamers walling in front of the backscene here.  I'm still not happy with the ashlar on the walling- the stones are too small.   Also the capping needs attention.  I've got some O-scale stonework by Redutex on order to re-do a section of this wall. Hopefully this will make a difference

post-13358-0-41812200-1467730629_thumb.jpg

Lastly a new arrival has made its way to the Preservation shed, seen coming in through the platform.  It just fits into the headshunt, which it should being just shorter than the K1.  The final picture shows the new arrival  parked outside the presevration shed with the Beattie Well Tank in front.  

post-13358-0-47276500-1467730630_thumb.jpg

post-13358-0-45543300-1467730626_thumb.jpg

post-13358-0-65638200-1467730631_thumb.jpg

Time to get some work done.

Les

• Like 3