RMweb

Livley Polly the elusive tank

844fan

As someone also interested in this idiosyncratic loco can I ask for more info on your 0 gauge sweet looking model ? A few more photos would be nice ! By the way the photo you label as not being sure of is also of the Corringham loco, it is in the soft back on the history of the Corringham of a few years ago.

I bought the diagram for sale on ebay by the way. I was and still am thinking of a 3ft version of this loco in 15mm for a roadside tramway that maybe, one day, might get built !

John.

• Like 3

anybody here that went to Guildex Telford last weekend would have seen my kitson on the loco shed of Lancaster Green Ayre

Sadly that was a fail, likewise the class15 model from little loco, and that was with 5 hours there on the Sunday. Really need to go both days as I was rushing around by the end :-(

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

an update on available info, at some point Mike Morant updated the info on his pic http://mikemorant.smugmug.com/keyword/overhead/i-ms9prVk/A

and in conjunction with Leedsengine.info

post-9948-0-78089200-1481146586.jpg

we now have pretty much everything on Polly.

Kitson 2721/T111 of Sept 1884 "Churchtown" built for the West Lancashire Railway as their No 12.

It was sold to the Liverpool overhead via Kitson in 1893, The L.O.R. sold it in 1948 and after a rebuild at Cudworth & Johnson in Wrexham it arrived at Monks Ferry coal wharf in June 1949.

now all thats left unkown to us is the scrapping date

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

an update on available info, at some point Mike Morant updated the info on his pic http://mikemorant.smugmug.com/keyword/overhead/i-ms9prVk/A

attachicon.gifCapture 3.JPG

Kitson 2721/T111 of Sept 1884 "Churchtown" built for the West Lancashire Railway as their No 12.

It was sold to the Liverpool overhead via Kitson in 1893, The L.O.R. sold it in 1948 and after a rebuild at Cudworth & Johnson in Wrexham it arrived at Monks Ferry coal wharf in June 1949.

Not quite - nobody seems to have any idea what colour it was painted.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to hear that you missed seeing Sam's scratchbuilt locos on Green Ayre at Telford 'toffee'.   However I've been sent some lovely photos of the layout that one of the crew took over the weekend and fortunately one of them shows the lively little loco in question.

post-6824-0-52088800-1481230054_thumb.jpg

Photo reproduced with permission and copyright to Chris Byrom.

Jamie

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to hear that you missed seeing Sam's scratchbuilt locos on Green Ayre at Telford 'toffee'.   However I've been sent some lovely photos of the layout that one of the crew took over the weekend and fortunately one of them shows the lively little loco in question.

attachicon.giftank engine.jpg

Photo reproduced with permission and copyright to Chris Byrom.

Jamie

Seeing the model from that angle put me in mind of one of Polly's continental relations:

16240910996_16fb19f99e_z.jpgVon Roll foundry, Delémont, September 1992 by Andy Kirkham, on Flickr

Still at work in 1992

• Like 2

Mermaid was an elderly manning wardle 0-4-0st at monks ferry coaling wharf where lively polly ended her days (at some point there named mayflower) there is a picture of the manning wardle towards the end of 'industrial locomotives of cheshire,shropshire and herefordshire' showing very large wooden block buffers. She was works number 226 of 1868

ive got this pic below noted as MW 226

post-9948-0-07333300-1481280540.jpg

• Like 1

Ok first of all Hokey Smokes! I had no idea that you guys were still posting on my thread here. That'll show me for not being here in ages. I am amazed by all the new info. I also love that someone has modeled Polly's class.

As someone also interested in this idiosyncratic loco can I ask for more info on your 0 gauge sweet looking model ? A few more photos would be nice ! By the way the photo you label as not being sure of is also of the Corringham loco, it is in the soft back on the history of the Corringham of a few years ago.
I bought the diagram for sale on ebay by the way. I was and still am thinking of a 3ft version of this loco in 15mm for a roadside tramway that maybe, one day, might get built !

John.

Indeed I too am interested very much in that model's specs. Would you by chance be willing to let me know more on it? I want to Model Polly in Trainz Sim and this could be a big help for me. Also mind if I barrow the Livery for my Polly model? I think it suits her for a livery for a recreation of her.

Colour photo of her at Birkenhead Monks Ferry.

attachicon.gifIMG_2021.PNG

Oh wow thats lovely I doubt she always wore that color but it's nice to see her in color.

just been looking at monks ferry on Britain from above, most of them are a bit blurry close up but one of them is clear enough that i think its Mermaid

on the other photos in this flight as the plane flies around taking photos, the wagons move around and a vague grey blob gushing steam can be seen in different positions on the wharf, BUT you can only see this if you are logged in, only then can you use the zoom function

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/eaw000415

post-9948-0-14026300-1481486850_thumb.jpg

this one is clear enough that you can see that the wagons are 3 buckets on flat beds just like what the midland used at Heysham port

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/eaw008658

post-9948-0-54708200-1481487202_thumb.jpg

MR heysham coal wagon

https://pregroupingrailwaysdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/frwc09.jpg?w=900

frwc09.jpg?w=900

Top left looks like a disused wagon turntable and theres some large dumbuffers showing out of the engine shed just like mermaid's

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/eaw008719

post-9948-0-27509300-1481487456_thumb.jpg

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 2

Wizard Models / 51L make a white metal kit for the transporter wagon. They describe it as "Ince Wagon Works three box coal wagon."

Here is my attempt (after a very long time since I made a white metal wagon) of the kit. It is stood in front of a photo of the prototype.

post-6748-0-41958500-1481922571_thumb.jpg

(allegedly the varnish was Matt....)

• Like 3

I suspect the design was very much derived from Kitson steam tram designs. The "side tanks" actually covered the valve gear etc, as in this diagram

post-28584-0-82437500-1482008022.jpg

Obviously, this tram loco had controls at both ends, so is slightly different, but it may explain the covers and the odd angle of the cylinders in the LOR loco..

• Like 1

I wonder if that's where Tri-ang  got the name for one of their 0-4-0Ts; remember Nellie, Connie and Polly?

Can't tell you that my self being a Yankee and growing up with Lionel trains. But it be somethin if that was where they got the Polly name.  

Edited by 844fan

• 3 weeks later...

ive got this pic below noted as MW 226

Yes that seems to be 'mermaid ' as shown in the book, note that they actually had two manning wardle saddle tanks called 'mermaid' they kept the first of the two and sold the other w/no 1380 of 1898 in 1929 to ayr collieries ltd

The older of the two (226) was, by 1948 fitted with very large wooden block buffers (resembling two sleepers at each end) I shall try to reproduce the photograph if I can

Edited by Killian keane

an update on available info, at some point Mike Morant updated the info on his pic http://mikemorant.smugmug.com/keyword/overhead/i-ms9prVk/A

Capture 3.JPG

She was scrapped in August 1961, RIP

• 4 weeks later...