Old Triang-Hornby Black 5?

Hi,

I have what I believe to be an old Triang Hornby Black 5 in LMS plain un-lined black, running no.4768, with just 5 on the cab-sides. It is tender driven with a Ringfield motor, but despite extensive web searches, I can find no reference to it. As I remember, it ran like a pig. Can anyone tell me whether this can be modified easily to take a new (or Railroad) black 5 Chassis, and re-wheel the tender with pick-ups? It seems to be a fairly good model as far as the body is concerned.

Other numbers under the loco are R759-0590/R859-0560. Can anyone help, please?

many thanks in advance,  Bob  King

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I have what I believe to be an old Triang Hornby Black 5 in LMS plain un-lined black, running no.4768, with just 5 on the cab-sides. It is tender driven with a Ringfield motor, but despite extensive web searches, I can find no reference to it. As I remember, it ran like a pig. Can anyone tell me whether this can be modified easily to take a new (or Railroad) black 5 Chassis, and re-wheel the tender with pick-ups? It seems to be a fairly good model as far as the body is concerned.

If its labelled as Tri-ang Hornby, it must be a very early example, as not soon after its introduction, the company name was changed to Hornby Railways. The number appears not to be original, which would explain why you can't find it..

http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_year_details.asp?itemyearid=211

http://www.hornbyguide.com/class_details.asp?classid=2

As Kevinlms says, the number is not original.  R859 was made between 1973-5, and was numbered 45192, 45156 or 45158, according to my reference sources.  I am not personally familiar with this model, but I strongly suspect that it already has pickups on one side of the tender, with the pickups on the other side being on the loco.  If this is the case, there will just be a single electric connector between loco and tender.

Some of these early Triang tender drive locos still had the chassis designed to fit an X04 motor and I think yours might be one of these.  This give you the possibility of converting it to a loco drive, if you can fit a suitable motor and gear combination.  A 5 pole X04 type motor with Neo magnet would probably fit and run well.  It would still benefit from as many pickups as you can supply from both loco & tender.

Thanks for your replies.  When I took the thing apart, I found that it had started life as a crimson (maroon) one, so I don't have any idea as to the original running number. Top feed is through the dome. The ones in the Hornby collectors guide (1978-1981) seem to be numbered R 842, running number 4657. Although there is no stamping of Hornby Railways, or Triang-Hornby, there is a small motif on the underside of the running plate which looks like three or four smoking brick kilns, together with the R 859 numbers.  I didn't think there were ANY black 5's in crimson in real life!

Thanks for your suggestion of the x04 motor. What can I do with the tender which has a Ringfield motor and traction tyres. Would I have to convert it using split or insulated axles, and would it be worth while, as these models were out of scale anyway.?

The R759 number was most probably on the chassis block. R759 was the catalogue number for the Triang-Hornby Hall. The same casting was used for the B12, A3, Coronation, Saint, King Arthur (R154) and some versions of the 08. The other number R859 was probably on the body shell and was the original catalogue number for the Black 5. As to the colour of the moulding some bodies were made in maroon plastic and spray painted black. There was a Crimson Lake Class 5 about during the 1980s and Hornby did a model of it. Ditto with the green preserved one in the 1990s.

Although most of the Hornby TD loco chsssis had X04 motor cut outs only the ones on the Black 5 and early TD Britanias were originally powered

To fit a motor to the Black 5 chassis you need to cut away part of the chassis extension. Depending upon which model you actually have depends how you need to arrange the pick ups.

Ray

Hi,

Hi Bob, I don't remember the Black 5 being released under the Triang Hornby name, I'm quite sure it was just Hornby by then. Up until the Railroad ones appeared, all Black 5's were tender drive. The paint scheme also doesn't sound original. 

If you have an early example, it will have the same valve gear as a Britannia class loco of the same age. It would also have the tender permanently coupled to the loco, although the last one released which featured Brit valve gear didn't.

From then on, they used the same valve gear as was used on the new Duchess's which were released in the mid/late 70's

The Railroad Black 5's are the same as these but updated to loco drive etc, so there is a good chance that the chassis will fit but having never tried, I'm not 100% sure.

Archived