Small Container Depot in Birmingham

All

I have been going through old magazines and found a interesting article in Model Railway Enthusiast from December 1994

There is a photo on page 60 showing a single siding with loaded container/freightliner flats. There are containers loaded onto trucks as well.

Also there is a crane which is mostly hidden by the wagons it appears to be a crawler crane with a single jib the caption says this was used for loading the containers but the attachment on the crane dose not look like it would be able to be used for this purpose.

From the hook the cables form an A shape with what looks like a steel girder then cables/chains hang down from the bottom sides of the A.

Can any body confirm if this existed and or if its a small corner of a larger yard. I have been past the Birmingham Freightliner terminal and it is massive why would such a small terminal exist so close? Also some of the other captions in the article have inaccuracies in them and i do remember reading about a small container yard in Bristol could it be this yard and caption is wrong?

Any help with this is very much welcome

Thanks

Your description does seem similar to the crane that was used at Bristol West Depot, four chains hang from the girder/spreader?

The crane there was on long term hire from Sparrows Crane Hire, and as I recall was red with white  lettering

cheers 

The old Dudley terminal kept going till 1989, and that wasn't too far from Lawley Street. It is possible tat the photo shows Stourbridge I have seen Freightliner flats round that area.

Archived