Lunester Lounge 2017.... for ANY topic you wish to discuss

Ban Him Jeff, he almost mentioned THE WORD, and what's worse, I almost responded, hahhahha

So come on Dave, over to THE OTHER LOUNGE, and spill the beans about your purchases and things on your wants list.

For a weekday it's extremely quiet on here.

I was up late last night playing with the new telescope. Good views of Saturn and Jupiter and re-acquainting myself with some of the Moon's craters. A lot of fun and I didn't worry about infinity, parsecs or the Big Bang!

Jeff

Yeah? :O Telescope aye? :no:  yeah right, that's what you call em up north is it? :scared:  strange lot, :scratchhead: and then goes on to talk about having a BIG BANG, :sungum: well I never, what ever next, he'll start describing the Moons craters for goodnes sake. :triniti:

• RMweb Premium

Yeah?  Telescope aye? :no:  yeah right, that's what you call em up north is it? :scared:  strange lot,  and then goes on to talk about having a BIG BANG, :sungum: well I never, what ever next, he'll start describing the Moons craters for goodnes sake. :triniti:

And if I told you that the next telescope - later this summer - is an 11" aplanatic Schmidt-Cassegrain you might think I'd be having an even Big(ger) Bang!  :O  :O  :angel:

Oops, is that a bit naughty? It's that Peters fellow you know - bad influence!! ( :no:  :no: )

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Good views of Saturn and Jupiter and re-acquainting myself with some of the Moon's craters. A lot of fun and I didn't worry about infinity, parsecs or the Big Bang!

That's good because those three objects are far too close and young for any of those concepts to come into play  :D

• RMweb Premium

That's good because those three objects are far too close and young for any of those concepts to come into play  :D

Neil, very true.

Didn't get chance to see Uranus - currently in the Pisces/Pegasus area and rising too late......  :D  :D  :haha:

Jeff

And if I told you that the next telescope - later this summer - is an 11" aplanatic Schmidt-Cassegrain you might think I'd be having an even Big(ger) Bang!  :O  :O  :angel:

Oops, is that a bit naughty? It's that Peters fellow you know - bad influence!! ( :no:  :no: )

Jeff

New telescope Jeff - 11" aplanatic Schmidt-Cassegrain - (grits teeth and strongly resists Big Bang and Oooh! Has'n't He Got A Big One jokes!). Are you planning some form of observatory to house it, I'm thinking about that small shed of Patrick Moore's which he moved by simply picking it up*** and turning here, or is it light (and robust) enough to be assembled and dissasembled easily without damage?

Regards

Bill

*** Ignore that bit! Given your construction methods it would probably be easier to move Jodrell Bank Main over "a couple of feet to the left"!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

New telescope Jeff - 11" aplanatic Schmidt-Cassegrain - (grits teeth and strongly resists Big Bang and Oooh! Has'n't He Got A Big One jokes!). Are you planning some form of observatory to house it, I'm thinking about that small shed of Patrick Moore's which he moved by simply picking it up*** and turning here, or is it light (and robust) enough to be assembled and dissasembled easily without damage?

Regards

Bill

*** Ignore that bit! Given your construction methods it would probably be easier to move Jodrell Bank Main over "a couple of feet to the left"!

If I had the land I'd certainly build an observatory. However, I'll have to make do. The tube and fork mount come in at 30kg and the tripod around another 20kg.

Looking forward to the weightlifting side-benefits!!

Jeff

• Like 5

If I had the land I'd certainly build an observatory. However, I'll have to make do. The tube and fork mount come in at 30kg and the tripod around another 20kg.

Looking forward to the weightlifting side-benefits!!

Jeff

What about :O

A hole in the roof of the Garage, and a floor above the Bunker, just enough to sit in and a step ladder to get up to it.? :no:  :no: :no:  :no:  :no:  

• Like 5

A hole in the roof of the Garage, and a floor above the Bunker, just enough to sit in and a step ladder to get up to it.? :no:  :no: :no:  :no:  :no:  

I've just had a look at them*** Andy and it puts my weedy 5 inch spotting scope to shame! Given the things they are capable of he'll probably have to use the bunker to house all the computers and image-processing gear and I can't see KL2 becoming a shelf layout somehow!

Regards

Bill

*** I'm really, really jealous now! I think I'll go out and bite something!

• Like 1

Observatory Part 2: Later that evening....

Just a thought Jeff, but have a look at the various beach-fishing shelters on offer which would make a great temporary observatory. They're pretty tall and roomy (I'm just under 6 feet and can nearly stand upright in mine) and can be put up and taken down in seconds after assembly. I have a Ron Jackson shelter which cost me around £40 and has seen me through some long, windy nights on the beach and some horrendous downpours. In fact I also use it for photography to protect my gear when I have to stay on site for ages! They even come in black which helps keep light out. If they can handle the misuse I put them through they'd have no problem handling your specific requirements.

Regards

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 2

Wouldn't work Andy, all that warm air rising from the bunker would be like looking through a shimmering heat haze and even worse would be the occasional curry blast causing air turbulence on a nuclear scale.

Edited by Donington Road

I was away for a few days with the missus up near that unmentionable thing that runs between Pickering and Whitby and popped into that place in Beck Hole that sells unmentionable items to us, resisted spending too much as well.

Anyway we have decided that we will attend the War weekend up there in October as we have the outfits already so all being well at the time it should be enjoyable.

I might venture out into the shed later and disturb the spiders - non poisonous Shaun - and see what's under the cobwebs, it could well be a mod.... :nono: :rtfm:

Ooops, nearly :jester:

Jim

• Like 6

I was away for a few days with the missus up near that unmentionable thing that runs between Pickering and Whitby and popped into that place in Beck Hole that sells unmentionable items to us, resisted spending too much as well.

Anyway we have decided that we will attend the War weekend up there in October as we have the outfits already so all being well at the time it should be enjoyable.

I might venture out into the shed later and disturb the spiders - non poisonous Shaun - and see what's under the cobwebs, it could well be a mod.... :nono: :rtfm:

Ooops, nearly :jester:

Jim

Hi Jim, good to hear from you again, tell us more about your adventure, (and any pics please) in tother room, glad you had a good break and found a shop that sells Kids Toys. :nono:  :nono:

:sungum:  :sungum: :sungum:  :triniti:  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You lot make me laugh. How many ways to mention the "unmentionable" without actually mentioning it!

Very clever and very funny.

Glad you had a good time at the NY-thingummy-jig. 

Jeff

• Like 1

You lot make me laugh. How many ways to mention the "unmentionable" without actually mentioning it!

Very clever and very funny.

Glad you had a good time at the NY-thingummy-jig. 

Jeff

Can you NOT EVEN mention North Yorkshire on here? as its NOT EVEN the home of Ra  thingimejigs, Devon is.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

I used a NY Thingummy jig once. The problem with it only arose later.

My Thingummies were metric, but the NY jig was imperial. 

So I ended up with mismatched Thingummies.

The moral of this story is always check your Thingummy jig carefully before pressing it into use.   :sarcastichand:

Edited by HeeleyBridge

• RMweb Premium

I just use my thingummy....

Don't care whether it measures (or is measured) in inches or cm.  :angel:  :angel:

Works either way - anytime, any place, not just in North Yorkshire.

5 * Satisfied customer!  :O  :O

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I've just had a look at them*** Andy and it puts my weedy 5 inch spotting scope to shame! Given the things they are capable of he'll probably have to use the bunker to house all the computers and image-processing gear and I can't see KL2 becoming a shelf layout somehow!

Regards

Bill

*** I'm really, really jealous now! I think I'll go out and bite something!

Hi Bill.

I didn't want to put specific details up on here as it'll only be a few officianados - like you and Neil - that have any interest.

Suffice to say, it'll show a bit more than the 8" I've been using since 1982 (am I allowed to say that?!), and I'll upgrade my kit to allow me to get back into astrophotography. It was film the last time I took pics through a telescope. Things have moved on.

Good to see you've done a trawl for the specs. The Celestron Edge series is coma free across the field and a joy to use - I have a friend who has a 9.25" (am I allowed to say THAT!!!!??)

Jeff

• Like 3

Hi Bill.

I didn't want to put specific details up on here as it'll only be a few officianados - like you and Neil - that have any interest.

Suffice to say, it'll show a bit more than the 8" I've been using since 1982 (am I allowed to say that?!), and I'll upgrade my kit to allow me to get back into astrophotography. It was film the last time I took pics through a telescope. Things have moved on.

Good to see you've done a trawl for the specs. The Celestron Edge series is coma free across the field and a joy to use - I have a friend who has a 9.25" (am I allowed to say THAT!!!!??)

Jeff

Probably not Jeff but now I really am jealous! Photography's the main reason I bought the spotting scope with it's ability to be used in place of the camera lens via an adaptor. Made by Hawke which were a relative newcomer at the time but the optics are absolutely first class, and far cheaper than the £3,500+ I'd have had to pay for a 2,000mm telephoto lens. I haven't aimed it at the sky yet but it's great for capturing distant dicky birds! Prize so far is a trio of Little Egrets at the extreme northern limit of their migration range out of Africa. A result of global warming increasing the average temperature I believe!

Things are way more fun now. I love the way I can attach the 'scope to the camera and the camera to the laptop to check the results almost immediately. They only advice I'd give is to work to RAW format which most digital cameras are capable of. On normal settings the camera will convert the image (usually to JPEG) which usually results in some data loss. RAW format will produce exactly what the camera see's at the time of exposure without loss. In short you get a pure data image which can then be worked on to produce the the best possible result. You need a program to convert the image (usually supplied with the camera) but there are a lot available online. My personal favorite is Coral Paint Shop Pro Photo which is simplicity itself to use and the results are top notch!

Regards

Bill

PS: The beach shelters I mentioned earlier are made by Ron THOMPSON, not Jackson! That's what comes of my brain going to sleep before my body does!

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 2