Lunester Lounge 2017.... for ANY topic you wish to discuss

Hi Jeff and all!

Still three or four weeks away from my own 'kaleidoscope' so here is a model. It's an artists impression of my ex mother-in-law making her last lunar transit a few days before the RAF shot her down in the vicinity of Pendle Hill. Enjoy!

post-14791-0-00719400-1435247942.jpg

Regards

Bill

EDIT: The stupid thing posted before I'd finished so here's the interesting bit! The moon is actually a 3D model, one of a number produced by NASA themselves over the years of which I have quite a few, including Hubble, Soyuz, Space Shuttle, etc. Sadly, they have now withdrawn the page as being out-dated (and just before I downloaded the ISS!) Perhaps they're going to release a new, updated moon with the terra-forming and hidden alien bases! Cue X-files!

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 6

Evening all,

Just catching up after another busy day which included my monthly oncology visit (went well - I'm on the chemo for a further period!).

Lovely lunar shots Jeff, I'm looking forward to your efforts 'further out' when you get the big new machine operational.

Bill, I regret that your pal was unlikely to have a registered AJS 7R, as the 'R' actually stands for racer - it was a thoroughbred racing machine, track ready out of the box, and had the nick-name "boy racer". My first event on one was at Brands in 1963, aged sixteen, and it cost only £300 new, although I'm rather sick when I see them changing hands for over £20K these days for a pristine one!

The reason most British bikes leaked oil back in the day was that most were designed with 'dry sump' engines and a separate oil tank - the pump in the tank had a non-return valve which consisted of a ball bearing seated on a taper by the pressure of a spring. This worked well enough until the oil got contaminated, and the ball was held off it's seat by even the tiniest speck of dirt. This allowed the fluid to leak back down into the crankcases which soon leaked out, especially overnight. All the British bikes lined up in my father's showroom had drip trays under them! The Sunbeam, as Bill said, didn't leak simply because it was a different design and the Japanese bikes were a revelation being wet-sump with computer machined mating surfaces that simply didn't leak!

Having spent a large proportion of my life on two wheels, I've sadly been grounded by the secondary bone tumours in my pelvis and thighs - they would simply put me in a wheel chair if I were to emulate Clive. Gutted of Clacton!!

Hope the rest of the week produces good stargazing weather for those interested,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 2

Having spent a large proportion of my life on two wheels, I've sadly been grounded by the secondary bone tumours in my pelvis and thighs - they would simply put me in a wheel chair if I were to emulate Clive. Gutted of Clacton!!

Don't despair Jock, this may be the next best thing to two wheels for you and it's got capacity for whisky storage :jester:

http://hacknmod.com/hack/the-incredible-steampunk-professor-x-chair/

• RMweb Premium

No pretty sky colours tonight but it is a lot cloudier than last night although it's still quite bright.

Just a shame my iphone camera only recorded a few blurred blobs of street lighting.

I shall have to leave such matters to the experts, eh, Jeff?

• Like 2

Evening all,

Just catching up after another busy day which included my monthly oncology visit (went well - I'm on the chemo for a further period!).

Lovely lunar shots Jeff, I'm looking forward to your efforts 'further out' when you get the big new machine operational.

Bill, I regret that your pal was unlikely to have a registered AJS 7R, as the 'R' actually stands for racer - it was a thoroughbred racing machine, track ready out of the box, and had the nick-name "boy racer". My first event on one was at Brands in 1963, aged sixteen, and it cost only £300 new, although I'm rather sick when I see them changing hands for over £20K these days for a pristine one!

The reason most British bikes leaked oil back in the day was that most were designed with 'dry sump' engines and a separate oil tank - the pump in the tank had a non-return valve which consisted of a ball bearing seated on a taper by the pressure of a spring. This worked well enough until the oil got contaminated, and the ball was held off it's seat by even the tiniest speck of dirt. This allowed the fluid to leak back down into the crankcases which soon leaked out, especially overnight. All the British bikes lined up in my father's showroom had drip trays under them! The Sunbeam, as Bill said, didn't leak simply because it was a different design and the Japanese bikes were a revelation being wet-sump with computer machined mating surfaces that simply didn't leak!

Hope the rest of the week produces good stargazing weather for those interested,

Kind regards,

Jock.

I can assure you Jock that Vinnie's AJS was indeed a 7R. I was dating his sister Teresa at the time and first saw the bike at Rod Lovelock's, a keen club racer and original owner, who gave up his budding racing career on his marriage to open his shop. Vinnie purchased the bike and I watched and occasionally helped as Rod and Vinnie brought it up to road spec, losing very little in the way of performance in the process.

Regards

Bill

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

No pretty sky colours tonight but it is a lot cloudier than last night although it's still quite bright.

Just a shame my iphone camera only recorded a few blurred blobs of street lighting.

I shall have to leave such matters to the experts, eh, Jeff?

Thanks Polly, but I wouldn't say I'm an expert. The moon photos I took the other day were the first I've done since 1983! Then, it was black and white film. At least now I can take a set of images and download/examine them within a few minutes.

I've already learned a few do's and don'ts with the new technique. One problem, completely out of my hands, is that when darkness falls at this time of year the Moon is in the southern zodiac constellations and tends to be low in the sky. 10-20 degrees altitude creates the potential for a lot of atmospheric distortion. In December, with the Moon in Taurus-Gemini, I can have an altitude of 40-60 degrees - so, hopefully (especially with experience gained) better results.

If you want to pick anything up, sky-wise at twilight/night, you'll need to use a camera that allows you at least a 30 second (preferably longer) exposure. I suspect your iphone is just taking snapshots.

Jeff

Polly mentioning her Bantam reminds me of my friend Brett. His uncle worked at the post office, and got hold of an ex-GPO telegrams bantam for him. Brett said he didn't want to look like a telegram boy, so his uncle arranged to have it sprayed.

It went well and was duly delivered to Brett, arriving to an expectant crowd of teenagers.

His uncle had had the frame re-enamelled too.

Bright yellow. From floor to petrol cap, wheel to wheel, bright warning yellow.

Brett the 'bananaboy' still hasn't lived it down, I saw him last week and reminded him of it (as you do),  :stinker:

BTW, he sold it on pretty quick and replaced it with a Kwackersaki KH 250.

• Like 4

Morning all,

Mick, thanks for that - brought out a belly laugh! Not quite ready for it yet but I like the sound of the whisky storage.

Bill, thanks for the correction my friend, must have been an awesome machine in its day and no doubt they retained the awesome handling which few road bikes could boast at that time! Amazing to consider that a good 125cc these days would probably see it off. Some of the bikes around these days are truly scary, with many having power and speed beyond the abilities of all but the very best riders.

Dave(HB), the Bantam (along with a few Villiers engined bikes) could have the ignition timing retarded by releasing three screws and moving the stator backplate in a way which set the engine to run backwards. I remember playing an awful prank on a nasty racist mechanic who upset a close friend - I doctored his Bantam as above and we gathered out of sight to watch his attempt at his usual racing start, whereupon with a roar of exhaust and a cloud of smoke, he engaged first and accelerated smartly backwards into a hedge. Revenge can be sweet!

Marvellous how this web site brings long forgotten events to mind. Thanks go to Jeff once again for coming up with the idea!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 2

I seem to remember Dad telling me of his uncle with a Rudge Ulster always letting the clutch out very carefully, just in case it went backwards. Scott Squirrels were also very prone to it I think.

I haven't thought about bikes this much in a long time. My riding days ended a long time ago, I just can't get my leg over ...

Belstaffs, Kangol, gone ...

Morning Gang, In my school summer holidays I would stay with my Cousin in Cornwall, and we would go to Scrambles on a Sunday, I remember Badger Goss was just starting out and was a threat to Triss and Trevor Sharp who were ruling Scrambling in Cornwall back then, they even named one of there many Jack Russels,  Triss.

His dad would buy up a couple of Bantams for us to race around the field they had. We would have been about 8 back then and it was great fun. The were the original Leading Link suspension and quite heave for a little lads like Colin and I. His Mum and Dad couldn't understand me when I started making ramps out of wood to jump over and I would build them higher and higher. In the end I got a Shovel and dug a pit and built the earth up on the other side. I was then jumping about 4 or 5 feet into the air and loving it. I only looped it over backwards a couple of times I think, but eventually we noticed that the wheelbase was getting longer and a look at the frame detected a bend behind the headstock so I want allowed to jump any more. I soon made up for that when I took up PROPPER Scrambling / Moto Cross a few years later.

Oh yes, and Cash Helmets, they were for GIRLS, hhahahha

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Not a motorbike but talking of jumps and drops, here is a colourful one of yours truly in the Surrey Hills going off a 10' drop. What is not clear is that this was in between severing my cruciate ligament (mountain bike crash) and having the operation to fix it, when I was told I could do gentle cycling ;)

post-9707-0-86580600-1435307087.jpg

• Like 9

Not a motorbike but talking of jumps and drops, here is a colourful one of yours truly in the Sureey Hills going off a 10' drop. What is not clear is that this was in between severing my cruciate ligament (mountain bike crash) and having the operation to fix it, when I was told I could do gentle cycling ;)

Cracking shot mate, got any more?

• RMweb Premium

Racing at Aston Hill about three years ago. I hate elbow pads so never wear them, and was going gloveless to try and toughen up my hands prior to an Alps trip, which batter your hands like you wouldn't believe if they are office worker silky soft.

My middle finger braking always raises a few comments but I prefer it as it allows you to keep a better grip on the bars.

Bike is an Iron Horse Sunday, forks are Fox 40's (8" of travel), the same Fox Racing who make motocross suspension.

post-9707-0-83631700-1435308155.jpg

• Like 9

Jeez Jason, that looks like hard work. I gave up pedalling as soon as I could legally have an engine! (and I'm sticking to that story) Commiserations on the knee damage, bl**din' hurts dunnit?

Crash helmets are definitely for girls Andy.

Boys that like to keep their brains on the inside of their skull, and full face if they prefer to have a face too. Helmets were compulsory except occasionally when riding trials bikes at very low speeds, but usually even then for the occasions when it went titsup and you finished up wearing the bike :P

My brother in law had his head stuck between the handlebars and the tank on his Norton Commando. His Bell Star saved his face from abrasion that wore almost through the glass fibre to the padding. Good job he actually liked hospital food :P Oh and the Volkswagen beetle that pulled out in front of him barely survived.

Ah, you modern mountain bikers!

They're just moto cross bikes with no engine!

My mountain bikes are were good all round off roaders, that can be ridden to a play area, have fun then ride home again!

After doing 80 miles on my first MB - I very, very nearly gave up and threw it in the ditch though, bloomin thing weighed a ton, hard tail and front forks, single position handlebars, I don't know if I've ever been in such agony!

After a couple of weeks off, I bought a Girvin flex stem, handlebar extenders and managed about 50 miles in comfort! It was the death knell of my cycle (touring) career though, my mileage went down and down until it knackered me out, riding from Derby to Ambergate woods and back.

Later, I met my girlfriend Bev, married her and learned to drive a car so that was the end of my cycling career altogether but I reckon I did about 400 000 miles over the course of some 20+ years!

At least, I'm extremely cautious nowadays when overtaking a cyclist and, the other day a motorcyclist gave me his "hazards" because I kept over for him to safely overtake me!

Lets have more courtesy for all road users!

John.

• RMweb Premium

Funnily enough, I know a fair few lads who started out as MX or Enduro riders who bought mountain bikes to keep fit, and ended up preferring mountain biking, especially the more gravity-orientated side of the sport where the speed you are travelling down steep and narrow rocky/rooty trails would frighten the life out of even experienced dirt bikers.

Look up Danny Hart Champery on YouTube for what has to be the most insane race run ever, in the wet, down a course which scared the shite out of me in the dry at a quarter of the speed. Champery is so steep in places, you can't even walk down it.

• Like 3

Funnily enough, I know a fair few lads who started out as MX or Enduro riders who bought mountain bikes to keep fit, and ended up preferring mountain biking, especially the more gravity-orientated side of the sport where the speed you are travelling down steep and narrow rocky/rooty trails would frighten the life out of even experienced dirt bikers.

Look up Danny Hart Champery on YouTube for what has to be the most insane race run ever, in the wet, down a course which scared the shite out of me in the dry at a quarter of the speed. Champery is so steep in places, you can't even walk down it.

Just had a watch Mate, AWESUM, I wish I could still ride, that looks so much fun, I loved doing it with engines but with pedal power at those speeds its really exhilarating.

I have a little treat for you when you come down, I'm saying NO MORE than that mate.

Both sets of grandparents and parents were cyclists. Sunday out with the CCC and training most nights. Mum rode for the Sheffield Phoenix, Dad for Don Wheelers. Fixed wheel and no brakes on the track, brakes back on to ride home. Crazy people!

Grandparents had novel transport too, They rode to Peterborough (Whittlesea to be precise) every year. So I give you Bill & Alice, with my Dad around 1934

post-19433-0-43825200-1435315461_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Thanks Polly, but I wouldn't say I'm an expert. The moon photos I took the other day were the first I've done since 1983! Then, it was black and white film. At least now I can take a set of images and download/examine them within a few minutes.

I've already learned a few do's and don'ts with the new technique. One problem, completely out of my hands, is that when darkness falls at this time of year the Moon is in the southern zodiac constellations and tends to be low in the sky. 10-20 degrees altitude creates the potential for a lot of atmospheric distortion. In December, with the Moon in Taurus-Gemini, I can have an altitude of 40-60 degrees - so, hopefully (especially with experience gained) better results.

If you want to pick anything up, sky-wise at twilight/night, you'll need to use a camera that allows you at least a 30 second (preferably longer) exposure. I suspect your iphone is just taking snapshots.

Jeff

I think you just mentioned one of the things I'm not looking forward to Jeff. Astronomy works better in winter when the low temperatures help combat ground level heat distortion. I'm glad I hung on to my Survival suit from my all-night fishing sessions now. And to think I always assumed that when anyone mentioned how cold it was in the great optical telescope establishments I always thought it was because of the altitude! Actually that is something I've debated over because DSLR's do not like extreme temperatures as I've occasionally found out over the years!

That bright yellow Bantam reminds me of my good friend Paul back in our student days. Paul's favourite mode of transport was an old hard tail Velocette 500 which has been painted a somewhat stunning Blush Pink. He always claimed it was Post Office Red on acid! He was a common sight riding around town in his brown leather flying helmet and jacket. He was also given to designing the sort of chairs which the Spanish Inquisition would have been proud of. Strangely, he went on to become headmaster at one of the countries leading Grammar Schools! Strange days indeed!

Regards

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

In my Motorbike days Gerry and I had a theory about crash helmets

Crash Helmet and ordinary shoes rider it top heavy and lands on head

No helmet and heavy motorcycle boots rider lands feet down seemed to work for us

The only dodgy time was riding pillion with Sid. Sid would lean the bike on bends but keep himself upright. He took it very tight through the Abbey arch I had leant with the bike and found my head about to collide with the pillar of the arch.

Don

Afternoon all,

Just watched a programme about China's 'Maglev' from the 'Impossible Engineering' series on 'Yesterday', which I recorded during the week. An amazing train, built by German engineers but using British inventions, and capable of regular speeds of 431km/hr (268mph) with a record of 501km/hr (311mph)! All made possible initially by Michael Faraday's discovery of electro-magnetic induction then, much later, an incredible piece of lateral thinking by Professor Eric Laithwaite (aka the 'Father of the Maglev'!) who surmised that if you unrolled a stator and rotor, converting them to linear format, you could make what he called his 'magnetic river'. Sadly he didn't live to see the mechanical and control problems, which beset his prototypes, overcome in this age of super-computers. For those of you who haven't seen it, it runs between Shanghai and its airport, although there is talk of extending all the way to Beijing. The carbon footprint is very low compared to any conventional train as there is no on-board propulsion system, and unlike conventional OHLE trains, only the actual part of the track it is using is electrified as it passes over it. Another plus is longevity as a total lack of friction means no wearing parts! An awesome piece of engineering, well worth googling if you are at all interested!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Grumpy old sod time! Having BA's in English and English Literature and a great love of literature and the English language in general I hate 'buzzwords'! Recently the most cringe worthy (to me) is the growing use of 'Phot'. We all know what a photograph is, and we all know that the common abbreviation is photo, but why abbreviate an abbreviation, especially when it turns up as a 'phot'? Is the standard of literacy falling as is claimed in some quarters or are we just plain lazy? So, whats your favourite cringe-maker and why!

Regards

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 5