Lunester Lounge 2017.... for ANY topic you wish to discuss

• RMweb Gold

Welcome back Mick. Do look after yourself looking after In-laws can be totally exhausting. We had one disabled (mobility problems) and one with Dementia. In the end we couldn't cope with 24/7 care and they had to go into a home for the last six months.

Don

I drove back into the Village this afternoon and saw the Highways dept filling in potholes on the main road, very good I thought, but why bother when they are going to strip between 100 and 150mm off the surface and completely relay it next week!

The Village will be shut to through traffic for 8 weeks while 1.5 miles are replaced and we are being given times and routes to follow depending where the work is, freezers and cupboards are now well stocked to minimise trips in & out. Looks like a quiet time ahead.

Jeff, your images are getting ever better, that is beautiful! You're lucky to have such a clear view, it's been occluded here for over a week, apart from appearing on its back, seen through a haze late last night!

Glad to see that the modelling hasn't rendered 'the big one' redundant for the moment!

Look forward to the next set - can your set-up capture images of the nearer planets or any of the large nebulae?

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Jock.

The shame is the amount of image degradation when posting on here. The main image in my post was compressed from a 2Mb jpeg to only 80kb! If I could post the original 19.7Mb RAW file, or even a 12Mb TIF you'd notice the difference.

I haven't tried imaging any planets, so far, though it is on my agenda. Venus, Jupiter and Mars are currently in conjunction in the early morning hours in Leo. When Jupiter is around at a more sensible hour - midnight!! - I'll have a go. I'm only using a relatively cheap imaging camera for the video technique used for the high-res crater pics (the full disc pics are using a DSLR and the telescope as an effective 2000mm telephoto lens). I'll upgrade the video camera eventually - I was almost tempted a couple of months ago.

As for nebulae, again - aside from piggybacking the camera on a driven telescope - I've not yet got round to it. I'll give it a go on some moon free nights over the winter period.

I'm working through a schedule to produce my own Moon Atlas - for my own amusement. It'll consist of around 20 full disc pics - at different phases - and some close ups/montages. I've done similar compilations of other things using Photobox to produce 30-40 page picture books and it's another bit of fun.

Made some progress on the "other" project - that which cannot be named on here - today, but no pics.

Jeff

• Like 2

Thanks Jeff,

Sounds absolutely fascinating, I'm only sad that I have neither the fitness nor indeed the time to take it up. In my current situation, budget would also be a consideration, so I'll have to drool over yours instead. I look forward to seeing planets and nebulae like the famous 'crab' in due course, and I think we all appreciate the restriction that the limit set by RMweb puts on you.

Thank you once again,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Great photos Jeff, I almost wish I had taken the chance to buy a telescope I was offered by one of my technicians before I retired as there is very little light pollution here, but then time would be a limiting factor now.

As for the pictures my jpegs are usually around 4Mb and I resize them to just under 1Mb on Microsoft picture manager and they end up on here about 400Kb, when I click on them they are then larger, would that work for you? My last post was in 'Autumn pictures' in the photography section so the results can be seen there, at least it gives a bit more detail.

If you can get planets or nebulae in the future that would be great.

All the best

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jim.

I think we both use the same type of Canon camera. The Bunker shots generally come in at around 4Mb for jpeg and resize, as you say, to around 400k for posting on here. Some close up jpegs have achieved over 10Mb.

I understand the Forum limit - and, for most general photos, I suppose it's more than adequate.

If you are interested, I can recommend you something highly portable and versatile in the telescope department - you could easily couple your DSLR to it and get great pics!

Jeff

I'm sure it has nothing to do with model tra---, Andy.

There could be a space station.

I'm sure there's somewhere on the LHC where scientists fiddle with things.

People are always looking for water on planets and satellites, hence aqua.

Wiring often runs via ducts in a space craft.

Fell, well er............, um...............

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Peter, I bet you were the class wit, and the "naughty" boy who was always sent out of lessons for being far too clever for the teacher!

I agree with Andy - funny and clever.

And btw, you've sussed out the location of the secret bunker for KL3 - the crater Gassendi in the Mare Humorum on the Moon.

Jeff

• Like 4

Just an anarchist at heart Jeff.

Yes, I was told off by the deputy head once for sitting on a table when she came into the room. Probably didn't help as I was the class teacher at the time.....

Trouble is I've never grown up and if someone says don't mention trains on a thread, then, well.........

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Just an anarchist at heart Jeff.

Yes, I was told off by the deputy head once for sitting on a table when she came into the room. Probably didn't help as I was the class teacher at the time.....

Trouble is I've never grown up and if someone says don't mention trains on a thread, then, well.........

Now THAT did make me chuckle as I couldn't count the number of times I used to teach while sat on top of a lab bench!!

Jeff

• Like 4

Ah, memories of schooldays.

As I mostly taught Y3 and Y4, I taught all the subjects - including science (heaven help them)..

Once we did an assembly on the Solar System so we painted a giant sun, then used different objects to represent the planets an their differing size - football, cricket ball, marble, pea etc... Tried to get the children to stand at the (very approx) relative distance from the sun in the hall.

I think one ended up down at the far end of the playing field.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Ah, memories of schooldays.

As I mostly taught Y3 and Y4, I taught all the subjects - including science (heaven help them)..

Once we did an assembly on the Solar System so we painted a giant sun, then used different objects to represent the planets an their differing size - football, cricket ball, marble, pea etc... Tried to get the children to stand at the (very approx) relative distance from the sun in the hall.

I think one ended up down at the far end of the playing field.

Hi Peter,

'Out of the box' one might say - and I bet they all remembered it - 'class teaching'!

Peter BB

• RMweb Gold

And btw, you've sussed out the location of the secret bunker for KL3 - the crater Gassendi in the Mare Humorum on the Moon.

That couldn't be more appropriate if you'd made the names up...

Gassendi caledum in Mare Humorum... Hot air in the sea of humour *

Kind regards, Neil

* OK, so I know it's a slight mistranslation... Gassendi is really for Pierre Gassendi, I've inserted caledum from nowhere and Mare Humorum is really the Sea of Moisture... but it could have been!

Edited by Anotheran
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I wouldn't worry about the mis-translation, Neil. It's the thought that counts!

Nice to see a twisting of the bewildering array of Latin-based names on the moon. And a "cut above the average" bit of humour, too!

Jeff

Evening Jeff,

Just put the dog out for his final 'wee' of the day, and the full moon was showing fleetingly as little wisps of cloud float by. A strange halo was apparent in the clear patches, hazy but with a yellowish tinge to the outer edge, which I assume is caused by the condition of the atmosphere and the position of the Sun. Pretty impressive, but few stars on display. Hope your weather is clearer, if indeed you are 'out' tonight

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening Jeff,

Just put the dog out for his final 'wee' of the day, and the full moon was showing fleetingly as little wisps of cloud float by. A strange halo was apparent in the clear patches, hazy but with a yellowish tinge to the outer edge, which I assume is caused by the condition of the atmosphere and the position of the Sun. Pretty impressive, but few stars on display. Hope your weather is clearer, if indeed you are 'out' tonight

Kind regards,

Jock.

Cheers Jock.

As it happened, the weather "up North" has been pretty grotty over the last day or so, with not even the Moon visible last night and misty, overcast set in for this evening.

No moon photography scheduled now for a couple of weeks, as I need to "catch" some of the pre-full moon phases for that "atlas" I was referring to!

Jeff

Morning all,

Brassed off Jock, decided to get my silly little telescope out this evening as the skies looked clear, only for the 'gibbous' moon to appear from behind my neighbours conifers while I was setting up. Bright as can be, it caused just too much light pollution to enjoy the planets and stars, so I've retired with a single malt instead!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

Brassed off Jock, decided to get my silly little telescope out this evening as the skies looked clear, only for the 'gibbous' moon to appear from behind my neighbours conifers while I was setting up. Bright as can be, it caused just too much light pollution to enjoy the planets and stars, so I've retired with a single malt instead!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hi Jock.

My current attitude towards the moon is a positive one, for, as you know, I'm assembling material for my "little book". However, once that task is done I'll be loathing the sight of it as it does drown out the fainter nebulae and galaxies! Planets - not a problem, unless you're searching for Uranus with binoculars....

Anyway, I'm sure you got just as much satisfaction from your whiskey as you would from viewing the Pleiades or Ring Nebula!

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

I said to Andy that I’d post a couple shots of my new Bass on here (Jock’s already seen it).

post-9016-0-94376300-1447461554.jpg

post-9016-0-92359100-1447461587.jpg

post-9016-0-80387400-1447461621.jpg

I chose this (that is the actual guitar by the way - not a generic photo) - because I got a good deal on it, and it really does sound good. I’ve only changed the strings so far (they were weird far east ones, I suspect).

Best, Pete.

• Like 6

Pete,

That is a lovely looking piece of craftsmanship - do you do much work with the bass? In other words, what type of guitar do you prefer to play? I find the 12 string acoustic most pleasing to my ears, although I do appreciate skill when it is demonstrated on any instrument.

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1