Lunester Lounge 2017.... for ANY topic you wish to discuss

• RMweb Gold

That's my normal alarm time for work. :O

Shall I give you a call to make sure that you're awake. :jester:

Duncan,

I could not possibly put a 'Like' to that!  (The regular 4:40 alarm call) that is.)  Still, I will be up at 5:00 tomorrow, my normal start of the week. 

Edited by ChrisN

Duncan,

I could not possibly put a 'Like' to that!  (The regular 4:40 alarm call) that is.)  Still, I will be up at 5:00 tomorrow, my normal start of the week. 

One of these days I'll have to try this 9 - 5 lark. I'd probably oversleep

• Like 2

Well I've just popped outside. It's a clear night but the moon doesn't look any bigger or redder than usual.

Won't be staying up into the early hours to watch the lunar eclipse, though the sun coming between the earth and moon might be worth watching.

Next time it happens, I'll probably be being pushed around in a batth chair.

As I only did physics to O-level, I might have got some of my facts wrong though.... :scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium

I can still see the moon from here, but it's shrouded in high cloud which will negate any chance of decent photos - unless it clears.

The full moon appears 10% larger than usual due to full moon occurring at its perigee. However, you won't notice any red coloration until the eclipse is well underway (after 2am) and even then some eclipsed moons are sometimes bright, sometimes dark and not necessarily coloured red.

I'll start imbibing the coffee shortly. Even if I only get a 10 minute clear window I want to be ready for it.

Best of luck to all of you determined to see the event.

Jeff 

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

For anyone who is interested, here's the moon - picture taken at 22.59 BST this evening. Moon's altitude = 34 degrees, azimuth 165 degrees (so between SE and S):

post-13778-0-77587800-1443391999_thumb.jpg

Exposure 1/320 s @ ISO 200.

Jeff

• Like 11

I can still see the moon from here, but it's shrouded in high cloud which will negate any chance of decent photos - unless it clears.

The full moon appears 10% larger than usual due to full moon occurring at its perigee. However, you won't notice any red coloration until the eclipse is well underway (after 2am) and even then some eclipsed moons are sometimes bright, sometimes dark and not necessarily coloured red.

I'll start imbibing the coffee shortly. Even if I only get a 10 minute clear window I want to be ready for it.

Best of luck to all of you determined to see the event.

Jeff 

Ok I might give it a go.... Despite some high level cloud it's been generally clear here.....and a nice late start at work tommorrow so I've got the chance of a lie in.

I thought it might have started turning red sooner.   I've been looking since 10pm! :fool:

• Like 2

The moon should of course look a little bit bigger at perigee (closest point to Earth in its orbit!), but only up to 13% as it is still 226000 miles away! It's clear at the moment, but who knows. I'm going to try to catch some sleep now, as the alarms are set for 3am, when the eclipse should be approaching totality. Good luck with the images Jeff. In case one of those little cloud patches on the weather map should ruin our view! I missed the last one in 1982, due to local weather, and I don't expect to still be around for the next such event due in 2033!

Good luck star-gazers,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Jeff, and any other lovers of space matters,

Neighbours must think we're mad, if they are awake and looking out the back - both Joanna and I standing out in the back garden, hot mugs of tea in hand, and with no street lights (thanks to a penny pinching council!), very little light pollution, we had a grandstand view of the eclipsed Moon from around 3am. What a beautiful sight, although sadly my camera which I bought specifically for nature photography, struggles with distant objects over five or six miles! I am therefore hoping that Jeff succeeds weather wise, and we will all have a pictorial record of this incredible phenomenon! Very well getting up for!!!!!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 6

Just been back indoors to warm up, and although the Moon won't be fully exposed until 6.22am, the brightness of the exposed section has made the colour virtually disappear. What an experience! Had to go out the front to see it now as its traversed the sky above our house as we watched. Probably have to go to sleep soon!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jock.

I've got a number of images but I need some sleep, so will process them later.

HOWEVER, I'm glad you enjoyed the spectacle and I've dug a composite of 2 images, taken at 03.48 BST. Both images were 10 second exposures and the composite was needed as the full moon - especially when at perigee - is far too large to fit onto the CMOS chip when the camera is connected to the telescope. Hope you like it...

post-13778-0-83905600-1443414336_thumb.jpg

Jeff

Btw, the totality was very dark compared to some I've seen.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

A final composite before I go to bed. Taken at 04.30, 3 minutes after the end of totality. A little blurred as the exposure times for each of the 3 components of the image was 10 seconds - needed to pick up the colour (and it was very dark). Compare with the pre-eclipse moon image - much sharper at around 1/250 second!

post-13778-0-94760000-1443414919.jpg

post-13778-0-94447900-1443415005_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Thank you Jeff.   SWMBO woke me at 03.03 and the situation was almost complete. Sadly here at 36E there is street light pollution and I just could not get in the car and drive to a 'darker place'. Nevertheless it was worth seeing and your amazing photo's will be much appreciated by herself on her return from town. I think they are beautiful and just wish I understood photography enough to have achieved something similar. I won't be around for the next one.

OT> I often wake at night as I sleep badly and The World Service is my friend, as it was last evening. Unfortunately I rarely remember what it was I was listening to and quite often wake again with the Shipping Forecast (around 05.30 I think) having fallen asleep to the one at about 01.00!

• Like 1

Thank you Jeff,

I've yet to see whether any of the many shots I took with my little camera have produced anything and so I much appreciate your beautiful images, well done. With your permission, I'll copy them to my PC to show the great grandchildren when they are old enough. We finally went back to bed just after 5.40am, having consumed several mugs of warming tea, and I count myself lucky that Joanna is almost as passionate about these events as I am. I have been fascinated by space from a very young age (possibly because my dad bought me the first ever issue of Eagle with Dan Dare on the cover and a card model of his spaceship at the age of only three!) - my father was very informed on the subject and we lived in the fifties in an area of very low light pollution where his telescope was regularly used. I was lucky also that both my school physics teacher, and my university physics lecturer were deeply interested in the subject and both enhanced my knowledge. Joanna only became really interested after meeting me well over thirty years ago, but I still find it difficult to understand how she still believes in God and the concept of heaven! I think anyone who stares up deep into the Milky Way, as we did in the early hours, must doubt that all that was knocked up in a week? Still, it comforts her to think of her departed family members looking down on her. She has joined me in all my nocturnal activities over the years (no sniggering please!!), seeing such events as the Hale Bopp comet, and regularly the Perseid meteorite shower as well as the passage of the ISS to name but a few.

Hope anyone else who stayed up felt it was worthwhile as we certainly did,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 8

Hi All,

Thanks for the moon pics, Jeff! They really are excellent and I didn't even bother trying to take a 'snap' myself!

My Bev and I are both 'Owls' rather than 'Larks' so about 02.10Hrs last night I just popped out for a quick look see and oh-oh! It was just starting so I went back in and described it to her and presently she came out and had a look too.

Our last look was about 02.50 and by then the moon was looking quite like a regular 'new' moon. Bev spotted that the dark part was indeed a very dark reddish colour, previously I had thought it was the regular, bright moon that would be reddish, D'oh!

Our skies were intensly clear with quite low light pollution but bloomin' cold!

Fascinating stuff.

John.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the pictures Jeff. I had a completely clear sky as I'm visiting my mother-in-law in London. However, there's lots of light pollution and unfortunately I'd not brought the camera. The phone just doesn't cut it on pictures of the moon. Great to see it live though.

As for totality being darker... Unless my geometry is wrong I'd expect it to be darker if an eclipse occurs when the moon is closer to the earth as it's then further from the edges of the shadow and so would receive less light from atmospheric scatter... or am I just talking cr*p again having had so little sleep :)

Regards, Neil

• Like 1

Thanks for the photos Jeff. When I got up there was a very faint tinge of red and a small edge missing. I have the same problem as Neil had this morning. The light pollution really doesn't help in this part of the world

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff and Jock

Thanks for the photos Jeff.  I set the alarm slightly early and Susan sent me back to bed waking me up at various times until we were both able to watch 'the red' appearing.  The moon seemed 'small' at this time compared to its vision at 0630 hours when it was big and bright even in the daylight. Susan also used her iPad to record some movement during the night and when played back 'swirls' could clearly be seen.  I will also like to copy your images - thank you in advance.  At work today I was a bit like a zombie.

Jock, I really like your writings and could relate specifically to your reference to the very first Eagle comic.  Mine was bought to keep me occupied while we waited for a 35 bus at Borough tube station and I still have some of the Eagle Annuals.  As a member of the Eagle Club I was also able to enjoy going to the Oval after school hours to watch Surrey for free in the days when they won (they have won the second division this year).  In this context I was able to see the whole match when Worcester scored 25 runs in the first innings and 40 in the second to lose by an innings when I had thought that Stuart Surridge was an idiot to declare Surrey at 88 for 3 - what did I know?

Cheers, Peter

• Like 2

Managed to stay awake and made good use of the time between 12 30 and 3am working on the new layout which is in the attic.The velux windows are excellent for these cosmic events. It was amazing and I was watching constantly from about 3am until 3 45.... Really pleased I didn't miss it.

post-13274-0-22787900-1443558530.jpg
Here's my effort. Taken about 2 50am..? x30 magnification
Cannon Powershot SX130... £99 from Argos. :)

Alan

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Glad to see you witnessed "the event", Alan. A good photo, too.

2.50 isn't a bad estimate. The shadow on your photo is just crossing the Mare Serenitatis. The fourth pic on the montage in post # 1593 has the shadow across the Sea of Tranquility - a bit further advanced than you - and was taken at 02.46. So your photo was probably about 02.40.

Anyway - does it matter? It was a great eclipse to watch and it obviously gave a lot of pleasure to a lot of people.

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Well done, Andy. Always worrying when one of those "events" happens.

Jock, just dug out a moon pic from the other night for you. I've managed to be out with the telescope for the last 5 nights - I'm suffering data overload and sleep deprivation!

post-13778-0-49636800-1443814525_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 8

Well done, Andy. Always worrying when one of those "events" happens.

Jock, just dug out a moon pic from the other night for you. I've managed to be out with the telescope for the last 5 nights - I'm suffering data overload and sleep deprivation!

attachicon.gifLangrenus and Petavius 56 57 Resize RMW.jpg

Jeff

That's just brilliant Jeff, it shows what you meant about images of the periphery show the terrain to best effect. If I had that awesome camera/telescope kit, I wouldn't spend much time indoors at night! Safe journey at the weekend, look forward to more sawdust flying on Monday! (oops wrong thread!!).

Thank you ,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 2