Talyllyn Junction. The Station area has been started!

Jintyman

• RMweb Premium

The one thing that stands out for me is the lack of depth in the stonework judging by the picture of Talyllyn 'box in  'Western Steam in Colour' (IA 1990) page 39. The stonework looks similar to that on Wills SSMP 200 Course Stone sheet. You will loose the locker room window ledges because of the platform ramp and the locker room door isn't visible on a picture taken looking at the steps end of the signal box in 'Western Branchlines' (Capital Transport 2011) page 86.  The door have been positioned under the external toilet and so I presume there were steps down to it from the platform.

I think that laser cutting is a fantastic tool in the armoury and has masses of potential. The two things that put me off though are the corner joints and (as coach points out) the lack of relief for some material finishes. The corner joints are often very noticeable and finishes too flat and uniform. Both issues can be sorted with care and attention. I'd certainly be tempted to add a little relief with spot of filler or thick paint layers.

Yours is going to be a fine signal box though Jinty.

Oh right, thanks Phil, I was under the impression they were being done by Modelu.

Apologies David.

Jinty ;)

No worries, Dave did them specially so I wanted to make he knows it wasn't in vein!

Looking at the chimney, Do you think it should be wider at the bottom?

The brick detail Phil gets is very well defined. I dont have any of his corner joints but his are not a shamfered edge but proper interlocking bricks.

Will do some when I get home tomorrow but here are a few to show what can be done.

post-6682-0-27540300-1487277932_thumb.jpg

post-6682-0-33037000-1487277934_thumb.jpg

post-6682-0-11548000-1487277936_thumb.jpg

post-6682-0-58521800-1487277937_thumb.jpg

post-6682-0-01414000-1487277939_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Sorry for the thread highjack Jinty, but I wanted to show that it is possible to create a more rustic 3d effect with the laser.

post-1485-0-58187400-1487278657_thumb.jpeg

It will still need a good paint job to pull it off but its possible to do more with a laser than most currently do.

Edit.

And a better example.

post-1485-0-80094900-1487281924_thumb.jpeg

I actually like this more now than when I first did it. 

and finally some laser cut texture added to bricks. 

post-1485-0-88855800-1487289505_thumb.jpeg

Edited by BrushType4
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Sorry for the thread highjack Jinty, but I wanted to show that it is possible to create a more rustic 3d effect with the laser.

attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_561.jpeg

It will still need a good paint job to pull it off but its possible to do more with a laser than most currently do.

Gosh, there's a fair bit of drawing work in that old fruit.

I suspect that takes much longer to draw and cut than just the outline of the stones and that's probably why most don't attempt it - time is money after all. 

• RMweb Premium

The brick detail Phil gets is very well defined. I dont have any of his corner joints but his are not a shamfered edge but proper interlocking bricks.

Will do some when I get home tomorrow but here are a few to show what can be done.

attachicon.gifIMG_3265 (1024x768).jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_3266 (1024x768).jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_3267 (1024x768).jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_3268 (1024x768).jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_3269 (768x1024).jpg

Clearly shows the detail you can get on brickwork IMO, particularly if the effort is put in to sort out all the special bricks. 

What does the joint look like when together? A lot of those I see on traders stands at shows don't look that great - yours looks a lot finer.

Cruel close up, but this is what my earlier joins look like when painted. I've improved them in later buildings.

post-1485-0-86589200-1487371001_thumb.jpeg

post-1485-0-63997300-1487371016_thumb.jpeg

Unpainted, unglued join. 

post-1485-0-22081300-1487372122_thumb.jpeg

My latest effort. Can you see the join?

post-1485-0-40656200-1487372414_thumb.jpeg

Edited by BrushType4
  • Like 9

Excellent Phil, I think lasercutting is such a brilliant medium to work with.

I'm pretty useless with buildings, but I reckon this sort of stuff will make even me look ok!!!

I do have a question:

How does the MDF take to wood stain and varnish?

I've been thinking of having the signal box floor, stained and gloss varnished like a polished wood floor.

I might try it on an invisible piece.

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

Excellent Phil, I think lasercutting is such a brilliant medium to work with.

I'm pretty useless with buildings, but I reckon this sort of stuff will make even me look ok!!!

I do have a question:

How does the MDF take to wood stain and varnish?

I've been thinking of having the signal box floor, stained and gloss varnished like a polished wood floor.

I might try it on an invisible piece.

Jinty ;)

MDF will take stain fine. No grain as such but unlikely you'll notice at scale.

• RMweb Gold

Cruel close up, but this is what my earlier joins look like when painted. I've improved them in later buildings.

Hi Phil,

They look very good. I'm in the middle of putting a drawing together (well when I get time that is) for my next building. Is there any special addition to the drawings that have to be done for those smooth inter-connected corners?

Rich

Hi Phil,

They look very good. I'm in the middle of putting a drawing together (well when I get time that is) for my next building. Is there any special addition to the drawings that have to be done for those smooth inter-connected corners?

Rich

Hi Rich, PM or email me so not to take up Jinty's thread.

No worries, Dave did them specially so I wanted to make he knows it wasn't in vein!

Looking at the chimney, Do you think it should be wider at the bottom?

Hi Phil,

Not done much on the signal box due to other things this week and having a bit of a cough and cold, but no the chimney is fine as it is hidden by the raised ground level behind and the trees.

I came home today though and found this beautifully produced 'Tunnel Commemoration' sign that I commissioned from Narrow Planet.

I'm absolutely gobsmacked, such a fantastic piece of work, It seems a shame to paint it!

Well it will keep Jon's lovely home signal company on the end of platform 1!!! ;)

post-14906-0-23535200-1487792877_thumb.jpg

A picture of the actual signboard can be found here:   http://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/show.htm?img=WRD00486&serial=522&page=32

The sign itself currently resides in the Brecon Museum, although not on display whilst work is carried out to establish a local transport section within its environs.

Lots of things are starting to come together now.

The winter months are nearly at their end, and it becomes the seasons to get stuck in again!!!!

Jinty ;)

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Hi Phil,

Not done much on the signal box due to other things this week and having a bit of a cough and cold, but no the chimney is fine as it is hidden by the raised ground level behind and the trees.

I came home today though and found this beautifully produced 'Tunnel Commemoration' sign that I commissioned from Narrow Planet.

I'm absolutely gobsmacked, such a fantastic piece of work, It seems a shame to paint it!

Well it will keep Jon's lovely home signal company on the end of platform 1!!! ;)

attachicon.gifTally 212.jpg

A picture of the actual signboard can be found here:   http://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/show.htm?img=WRD00486&serial=522&page=32

The sign itself currently resides in the Brecon Museum, although not on display whilst work is carried out to establish a local transport section within its environs.

Lots of things are starting to come together now.

The winter months are nearly at their end, and it becomes the seasons to get stuck in again!!!!

Jinty ;)

Hi Jinty,

Looks lovely - and I'm not nitpicking ... but have they spelt Talyllyn wrong?  Its spelt right on the picture ... but not on your miniature sign..... or should I just grab me hat n coat :)

Rich

Hi Jinty,

Looks lovely - and I'm not nitpicking ... but have they spelt Talyllyn wrong?  Its spelt right on the picture ... but not on your miniature sign..... or should I just grab me hat n coat :)

Rich

There's always one isn't there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    :O  :O  :O  :O  :O  :O  :swoon:

Oh dear, Thanks Rich, how did both me and Stephen miss that???? I'll have to get some more made, with the correct spelling, as no doubt this will feature prominent in some pictures I take.     :banghead:

I'll be able to use this to practice on for the painting at least!!!

Jinty ;)

• Like 2

OH NO ............................ in truth it took me 3 goes looking at it !!!! ....................... well spotted Rich  :angel:  .........well at least it got spotted now Jints and not once it was up in position when the tunnel is completed  :blind: . 

:offtopic: ...... Reminds me of a good Friend on mine ...... he spent some good amount of cash and a good few hours suffering the pain of the Tattooist's needle gun, came to the pub with his superbly drawn Burnley FC  football crest emblazoned on his right arm .... only for one of our hawk eyed mates to spot that the Tattooist had missed our the letter "R" ......... followed by a few choruses of "Come on Bunley, come on Bunley ........ now that took some sorting out.

Aprat from the spelling mistake that sign looks great.

Craig.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There's always one isn't there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    :O  :O    :swoon:

Oh dear, Thanks Rich, how did both me and Stephen miss that???? I'll have to get some more made, with the correct spelling, as no doubt this will feature prominent in some pictures I take.     :banghead:

I'll be able to use this to practice on for the painting at least!!!

Jinty ;)

Oops!! Sorry Jinty  :dontknow:  .... id say leave it as it is ... and see how many people notice and extra 'Y' ... if anything is said Talyllyn is the English spelling, Taylyllyn is the Welsh! :)

Besides which your modelling and weathering is so good, we need something to be able to tell real pictures from the model in the future! :)

OH NO ............................ in truth it took me 3 goes looking at it !!!! ....................... well spotted Rich  :angel:  .........well at least it got spotted now Jints and not once it was up in position when the tunnel is completed 

:offtopic: ...... Reminds me of a good Friend on mine ...... he spent some good amount of cash and a good few hours suffering the pain of the Tattooist's needle gun, came to the pub with his superbly drawn Burnley FC  football crest emblazoned on his right arm .... only for one of our hawk eyed mates to spot that the Tattooist had missed our the letter "R" ......... followed by a few choruses of "Come on Bunley, come on Bunley ........ now that took some sorting out.

Aprat from the spelling mistake that sign looks great.

Craig.

Haha!  Did he ever live that one down?? In a similar vein, a good friend of mine always insists its headlines that get missed in proof reading ... he recalls a story of a book he co-authored, that has a chapter entitled 'All lines lead to Crewe' ... he proof read it, as did his wife, the other author, two photographers, the publishers proof reader and the publisher chap himself (who was an avid railway fan).  The book way printed, author's copies arrived .. by pure co-incidence he happened to open the book directly at the start of that and words of 'oh b*gger' .. when he realised the heading said 'All lines lead to Crew' and the last 'e' was missing!!!  And that was a very well known railway photographer!

Happens to the best of em!

Rich

• Like 2