Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Talyllyn Junction. The Station area has been started!

Jintyman

Thankyou Deano

Yep used das for arch stones and down sides of the buttresses and caved in to it

Brian

My Missus says I cave into easily as well, normally when it comes to getting on with some modelling, I cave in and leave it ..... sorry Brian  :tomato:

Edited by muddys-blues

• 2 weeks later...

David,

I enjoyed that, thanks for sharing. It's all coming on...

I find on my own locos with decoders as supplied, the random sounds can be rather too loud / intrusive. I guess this is possibly as my layout is a loco shed and therefore there are lots of them... but I tend to the opinion that there should be a clear difference between the "background sounds" such as coal shovelling, blowers & injectors, and the "deliberate" (or, if you will, "front of stage" ) sounds like whistles & chuffs. Pondering this a little further, perhaps the background noises need to fade back dependent on how long it is since the loco turned a wheel, as your shovelling seemed entirely in context when the loco had stopped in the platform, which to me, it didn't before it drove off initially. I guess the physics of distance...

My Minerva Peckett doesn't seem to have an "off" switch which is a right pain. It gets lifted off the track to shut it up, which is daft. Not sure what to do about that.

And the train going into the tunnel.. lovely. Except the bobby banging 9 on the block...

:)

Simon

• Like 2

Morning Simon, thanks, I tend to agree with some of what you say. Some of the background noises are random and I'd rather have these come on with my own input only, but then I'm not everybody and these projects are designed for a variety of tastes (Paul will probably be along soon letting me know how to change everything!!!!!).

The sound project is a very convincing one and I have to say that the driveability of the loco is excellent.

And the train going into the tunnel.. lovely. Except the bobby banging 9 on the block...

The line is being worked as a single line branch as there are signalling works on going!!!!!!    Cough, Cough!!!

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

David,

I enjoyed that, thanks for sharing. It's all coming on...

I find on my own locos with decoders as supplied, the random sounds can be rather too loud / intrusive. I guess this is possibly as my layout is a loco shed and therefore there are lots of them... but I tend to the opinion that there should be a clear difference between the "background sounds" such as coal shovelling, blowers & injectors, and the "deliberate" (or, if you will, "front of stage" ) sounds like whistles & chuffs. Pondering this a little further, perhaps the background noises need to fade back dependent on how long it is since the loco turned a wheel, as your shovelling seemed entirely in context when the loco had stopped in the platform, which to me, it didn't before it drove off initially. I guess the physics of distance...

My Minerva Peckett doesn't seem to have an "off" switch which is a right pain. It gets lifted off the track to shut it up, which is daft. Not sure what to do about that.

:)

Simon

Simon,

Sounds like F1 is not working on your Peckett. Whose chip are you using?

Good point about background and foreground sounds. I'll talk to Paul Chetter.

Regards,

Chris

Jinty fantastic that ..... "even for a brew machine" .... now what excuse can I use for a visit and a paned, aah ... custard creams ?

Can't wait to see it in the flesh, that station building looks the dogs, it will all come together very quickly ..... I can't wait for November to see Andy P drooling, sweating & being all fidgety, his brain will be whirring over with 7mm thoughts bouncing round his head "AGAIN"  :mosking:

Best regards

Craig.

• Like 1

Morning Simon, thanks, I tend to agree with some of what you say. Some of the background noises are random and I'd rather have these come on with my own input only, but then I'm not everybody and these projects are designed for a variety of tastes (Paul will probably be along soon letting me know how to change everything!!!!!).

The sound project is a very convincing one and I have to say that the driveability of the loco is excellent.

The line is being worked as a single line branch as there are signalling works on going!!!!!!    Cough, Cough!!!

Jinty ;)

Hello Jinty,

I'm here. LOL

Virtually everything on ZIMO decoders is easilly adjustable by the end user - that's one of the reasons they are so popular. Mostly you don't even need to know how the project has been created as the CVs relate to F keys or specified features.

The simplest way to stop the coal shovelling as a random sound is to write CV 753 = 0,

or, to reduce the volume CV 754 = X (where X is a number between 1 and 255, higher numbers louder).

Chris

Yours!

(Well, Paul & Paul's)

F1 doesn't appear to stop the sound. - I'm at work at the mo' but will double check this evening

Cheers

Simon

Hello Simon,

It's not broken, it was designed that way.

There are so many sounds and functions in that project (29) that I ran out of F keys to use, so decided to use F1 for a sound (whistle).

There's no need to lift off the tracks, though, providing you have a DCC system which will access all 29 F keys.

To mute the sound altogether, press F 19. All sound will fade to silence over around 3.5 seconds (this duration is user adjustable, CV314). Release F19 to fade the sound back in to the original volume level.

This is also useful for entering tunnels or fiddle yards where you wish the sound to transition rather than shutting off like a clapper.

Alternatively, you could reduce the overall sound to a lower level with the Live Volume controls, F27 turns sound down, F 28 turns it up. Simply engage one or the other, listen as the volume changes, then release when the required volume is reached. 

I would recommend F19 for temporary muting.

If you would rather have the sound controlled by F1, there are a couple of options.(read through to the end before deciding)

a ) cancel the sound on F1 (CV513 = 0) then add the on/off function to F1 (CV310 = 1 and, optionally,  CV311 = 1)

b ) swap the action of F19 to F1 and F1 to F19. This will put the 'mute' function on to F1, and the whistle to F19. (CV401 = 19 and CV419 = 1)

To all ZIMO users,

My sound projects are carefully crafted (under my studio's conditions) to represent my experience of the real locos they recreate in your models. Many people will be happy with the choices I make and the balance of sound levels within the mix that I judge to be realistic. That's fine - I aim for a result which suits the majority of users 'out of the box'.

But for others, this may be best considered as a starting point. These decoders are so fexibly and easilly reconfigured that most of your preferences can be met.

It's not possible to change the sound samples without reblowing the decoder, but virtually everything else can be adjusted to suit you, your driving style, your layout and it's environment.

The decoder manual (http://www.zimo.at/web2010/documents/MX-KleineDecoder_E.pdf) will provide a lot of background detail but the way in which specific sound projects are compiled will not be covered. The User Notes which accompany all my projects will give further targeted advice.

If there is something you would really like to change or something you would like to introduce, raise it as a question. You will often find that there is a simple solution so you don't have to 'put up with' something that you don't want.

Apart from physically damaging the decoder, nothing that you do will break the decoder or sound project loaded, so feel free to experiment. if it all goes badly wrong, CV8 = 8 will restore everything to how it was when delivered (including reverting to adress '3').

Kind regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger

Hello Jinty,

I'm here. LOL

Virtually everything on ZIMO decoders is easilly adjustable by the end user - that's one of the reasons they are so popular. Mostly you don't even need to know how the project has been created as the CVs relate to F keys or specified features.

The simplest way to stop the coal shovelling as a random sound is to write CV 753 = 0,

or, to reduce the volume CV 754 = X (where X is a number between 1 and 255, higher numbers louder).

Hello Simon,

There are so many sounds and functions in that project (29) that I ran out of F keys to use, so decided to use F1 for a sound (whistle).

There's no need to lift off the tracks, though, providing you have a DCC system which will access all 29 F keys.

To mute the sound altogether, press F 19. All sound will fade to silence over around 3.5 seconds (this duration is user adjustable, CV314). Release F19 to fade the sound back in to the original volume level.

This is also useful for entering tunnels or fiddle yards where you wish the sound to transition rather than shutting off like a clapper.

Alternatively, you could reduce the overall sound to a lower level with the Live Volume controls, F27 turns sound down, F 28 turns it up. Simply engage one or the other, listen as the volume changes, then release when the required volume is reached. 

If you would rather have the sound controlled by F1, there are a couple of options.(read through to the end before deciding)

a ) cancel the sound on F1 (CV513 = 0) then add the on/off function to F1 (CV310 = 1 and, optionally,  CV311 = 1)

b ) swap the action of F19 to F1 and F1 to F19. This will put the 'mute' function on to F1, and the whistle to F19. (CV401 = 19 and CV419 = 1)

To all ZIMO users,

My sound projects are carefully crafted (under my studio's conditions) to represent my experience of the real locos they recreate in your models. Many people will be happy with the choices I make and the balance of sound levels within the mix that I judge to be realistic. That's fine - I aim for a result which suits the majority of users 'out of the box'.

But for others, this may be best considered as a starting point. These decoders are so fexibly and easilly reconfigured that most of your preferences can be met.

It's not possible to change the sound samples without reblowing the decoder, but virtually everything else can be adjusted to suit you, your driving style, your layout and it's environment.

The decoder manual (http://www.zimo.at/web2010/documents/MX-KleineDecoder_E.pdf) will provide a lot of background detail but the way in which specific sound projects are compiled will not be covered. The User Notes which accompany all my projects will give further targeted advice.

If there is something you would really like to change or something you would like to introduce, raise it as a question. You will often find that there is a simple solution so you don't have to 'put up with' something that you don't want.

Apart from physically damaging the decoder, nothing that you do will break the decoder or sound project loaded, so feel free to experiment. if it all goes badly wrong, CV8 = 8 will restore everything to how it was when delivered (including reverting to adress '3').

Kind regards,

Paul

And that dear readers is why we have Paul working on our sound projects.

CK

• Like 3

Nice Video Jint's, and a really good Sound, well played my man, looking forward to seeing it.

Will the Station have a Platform to stand on by November? hahaha :no:  :no:

Well not one you'll be able to stand on!!!!

A great video Jinty, great set of sounds and lovely realistic driving, 9/10 (10 out of 10 would make you too cocky :onthequiet: )

Regards

Simon

Thanks Simon, not quite 'Bescot Television'!!!!   ;)

Wot's this about going into a tunnel against the signal which is clearly at danger! :jester:

Please see post above, RE: Working as single line due to signalling work!!! Cough, Cough!!!

Jinty fantastic that ..... "even for a brew machine" .... now what excuse can I use for a visit and a paned, aah ... custard creams ?

Can't wait to see it in the flesh, that station building looks the dogs, it will all come together very quickly ..... I can't wait for November to see Andy P drooling, sweating & being all fidgety, his brain will be whirring over with 7mm thoughts bouncing round his head "AGAIN"  :mosking:

Best regards

Craig.

Yes, poor Andy will be trundling back home with illicit thoughts of 7mm and branchlines...............................

You don't need an excuse, kettle is always on!!!

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

Hello Jinty,

I'm here. LOL

Hello Simon,

To all ZIMO users,

Kind regards,

Paul

Paul

Thanks for a hugely comprehensive response. I was pretty sure it was designed that way...

My layout is in the lounge, and I have the habit of leaving the layout "on" when I'm at the workbench - it's on the same switch as my bench extension lead, lamps, etc. This doesn't bother MrsD or me unless it's my little Fowler (great sound, begins to "grate" after 10 minutes of idling...) or until the same loco shovels coal/blows off/injects for about the 15th time so I generally F1 all the locos to switch off the sound unless I'm actually playing trains, but the Peckett doesn't. I think I will probably (attempt to) follow your instructions to make F1 switch the sound, as it will then match all the others. I also need to fit a switch to the turntable to stop the stepper motor whistling to itself.

I do understand that the objective from your point of view is to please the majority! My comments re sounds were not at all intended as a criticism of anyone's sound projects - it was more a philosophical point/question - when a given loco is both "close" and "the centre of attention" then the footplate sounds (shovelling, "right away", blowers, etc,) can very reasonably capture the viewers' attention, and add to the illusion, but it seems to me that in many projects they appear quite loud compared to the "chuff" or the whistle, both of which are far louder in reality, and this is, to my mind, a distraction.

I think this is compounded when the loco in question is not centre stage. I therefore would like to suggest that the chip makers add a feature that allows the sounds to diminish in both frequency and volume when the loco is parked up in the shed, or even at the head of a train in the terminus.

What I need to do is to have the confidence to adjust all the sound levels to suit myself! I'll start with the Peckett... :). It didn't help that my JMRI stopped playing ball. Must get that sorted.

And of course, we need static sound decoders for the bobby's bell, the stationmaster's phone, cows/sheep and the birdsong. (Yes, I found the seagulls!)

Thanks again

Best

Simon

Paul

Thanks for a hugely comprehensive response. I was pretty sure it was designed that way...

My layout is in the lounge, and I have the habit of leaving the layout "on" when I'm at the workbench - it's on the same switch as my bench extension lead, lamps, etc. This doesn't bother MrsD or me unless it's my little Fowler (great sound, begins to "grate" after 10 minutes of idling...) or until the same loco shovels coal/blows off/injects for about the 15th time so I generally F1 all the locos to switch off the sound unless I'm actually playing trains, but the Peckett doesn't. I think I will probably (attempt to) follow your instructions to make F1 switch the sound, as it will then match all the others. I also need to fit a switch to the turntable to stop the stepper motor whistling to itself.

I do understand that the objective from your point of view is to please the majority! My comments re sounds were not at all intended as a criticism of anyone's sound projects - it was more a philosophical point/question - when a given loco is both "close" and "the centre of attention" then the footplate sounds (shovelling, "right away", blowers, etc,) can very reasonably capture the viewers' attention, and add to the illusion, but it seems to me that in many projects they appear quite loud compared to the "chuff" or the whistle, both of which are far louder in reality, and this is, to my mind, a distraction.

I think this is compounded when the loco in question is not centre stage. I therefore would like to suggest that the chip makers add a feature that allows the sounds to diminish in both frequency and volume when the loco is parked up in the shed, or even at the head of a train in the terminus.

What I need to do is to have the confidence to adjust all the sound levels to suit myself! I'll start with the Peckett... :). It didn't help that my JMRI stopped playing ball. Must get that sorted.

And of course, we need static sound decoders for the bobby's bell, the stationmaster's phone, cows/sheep and the birdsong. (Yes, I found the seagulls!)

Thanks again

Best

Simon

Simon,

I can't help with the stepper motor. LOL.

I can assure you I did not take your remarks as criticism, and if my response gave that impression, I'm sorry. I simply intended to use your experiences to illustrate that however diligently one creates these projects, they may not fully meet everyone's wishes or expectations.

I accept that as being the way it is.

But that's not to say that individuals should accept sound projects as being 'the way it is' like it or lump it. I don't use Decoder Pro a great deal. Changing a couple of CVs is often all that's required to achieve hat might otherwise seem a difficult or even impossible task.

The CVs I gave and you have used successfully to swap F1 and F19 have not actually altered the sound project in any way. What you have done is to tell the decoder that when it receives a signal from F 1 it should react as if F 19 had been pressed, and if F19 is detected, do whatever is actually assigne to F 1. This is totally non destructive and easilly reversed.

What you have done is to use a powerful user-controlled mapping technique called ZIMO Input Mapping. Instead of mapping the outputs to F keys as in the more usual mapping processes, the user can shuffle sounds and functions around without needing to know very much about the sound project's inner workings at all.

If you know the F keys to and from which you wish to migrate the features, that figure becomes the value to use in the appropriate CV, the latter anyone you can work out for themselves. (CV401 is for F key 1, CV402 is for F key 2, CV403 is for F key 3 and so on)

OK, I'm only scratching the surface of what's possible with Z.I.M. (e.g.layering, inverting, sounds or functions working in one direction only and more are possible).

BTW, your other models with ZIMO on board probably have 'fade to mute' on F19 too. The Function List in User Notes will tell you.

Kind regards,

Paul

• Like 1

Simon,

I can't help with the stepper motor. LOL.

I can assure you I did not take your remarks as criticism, and if my response gave that impression, I'm sorry. I simply intended to use your experiences to illustrate that however diligently one creates these projects, they may not fully meet everyone's wishes or expectations.

I accept that as being the way it is.

But that's not to say that individuals should accept sound projects as being 'the way it is' like it or lump it. I don't use Decoder Pro a great deal. Changing a couple of CVs is often all that's required to achieve hat might otherwise seem a difficult or even impossible task.

The CVs I gave and you have used successfully to swap F1 and F19 have not actually altered the sound project in any way. What you have done is to tell the decoder that when it receives a signal from F 1 it should react as if F 19 had been pressed, and if F19 is detected, do whatever is actually assigne to F 1. This is totally non destructive and easilly reversed.

What you have done is to use a powerful user-controlled mapping technique called ZIMO Input Mapping. Instead of mapping the outputs to F keys as in the more usual mapping processes, the user can shuffle sounds and functions around without needing to know very much about the sound project's inner workings at all.

If you know the F keys to and from which you wish to migrate the features, that figure becomes the value to use in the appropriate CV, the latter anyone you can work out for themselves. (CV401 is for F key 1, CV402 is for F key 2, CV403 is for F key 3 and so on)

OK, I'm only scratching the surface of what's possible with Z.I.M. (e.g.layering, inverting, sounds or functions working in one direction only and more are possible).

BTW, your other models with ZIMO on board probably have 'fade to mute' on F19 too. The Function List in User Notes will tell you.

Kind regards,

Paul

I'll just keep pestering you with daft questions!!!!!!!!!  ;)

I have now removed the shovelling as a random sound, and I feel it's much better for my personal taste.

As Simon above, mine was not a criticism, on the contrary, I'm substantially impressed with Zimo to have changed both my own fleet and my friends OO GWR fleet too!

A public thank you as well to Paul for all he does with regards to the sound projects he supplies, as he does his best to meet customers requirements every time.

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

Evening David. Your Minerva Pannier has started some dark thoughts...... so much so, that I've just ordered a Dapol BR 12T Van....my first piece of 7mm rolling stock!  :swoon:

• Like 4

Evening David. Your Minerva Pannier has started some dark thoughts...... so much so, that I've just ordered a Dapol BR 12T Van....my first piece of 7mm rolling stock!  :swoon:

Good Evening Tom,

I don't think they're 'Dark' thoughts, more 'Pure' thoughts, and I can thoroughly recommend the Minerva 8750 as well!!!

Thank you.

Jinty ;)

• Like 2

Good Evening Tom,

I don't think they're 'Dark' thoughts, more 'Pure' thoughts, and I can thoroughly recommend the Minerva 8750 as well!!!

Thank you.

Jinty ;)

Yeah just need to get Cwm Prysor finished!.....and decide on possibly somewhere to model.... South Wales perhaps?

• Like 1