Talyllyn Junction. The Station area has been started!

Jintyman

There will be one heading Talyllyn's way too!!!!

Andy, are you showing signs of change????????????

Jinty ;)

If you mean about the wearing of a Dress, Bra and Panties, well that's not really for discussion on here mate, :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:

As for O it's

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :sungum: 

Edited by Andrew P

Yeah just need to get Cwm Prysor finished!.....and decide on possibly somewhere to model.... South Wales perhaps?

Ah. Someone else who has finally seen the light. Probably the most undermodelled part of the country and yet so much potential.

Regards.

Edited by philip-griffiths

Ah. Someone else who has finally seen the light. Probably the most undermodelled part of the country and yet to much potential.

Regards.

The South Wales Valleys are ideal for 0 gauge. It was a very dense network of lines operating in confined spaces with steep gradients and almost exclusively operated with tank engines, many of them pre-grouping engines that ran into the 1950s and in the case of Swansea Docks, the early 1960s. There was plenty of rail served industry that generated large volumes of traffic and were operated by industrial locos. The attached photo of Abergwnfi taken by the late Mike Hales was the inspiration for my Cwm Bach layout, which is described elsewhere on these pages. The line behind the station leads to Avon Colliery and the whole layout is cut into a ledge in the valley side. Alternatively, there are the huge docks of Barry, Cardiff, Newport and Swansea.

Regards,

Chris

post-13142-0-75616300-1507102657_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Good evening all.

Firstly I have added a small 4' extension to Talyllyn Junction at the Merthyr end of the boards, this includes the 'Long Siding and a shorter siding as well as the main 'Single' line over this side of the triangle. I have also now conquered the Cobalts and have got them all programmed correctly now after a bit of a disaster the other night trying to address them, when they decided to change address by themselves!!!! A few nearly went through the window!! It turned out that there is some incompatabitily with my Roco Multimaus as when I plug that handset in as a slave controller, the Cobalts just won't work, but with the LH100 on its own and they all addressed correctly.

Secondly, I've now finished the wiring of the junction complex, a Hex Frog Juicer has been used for the slip frogs and the threeway frogs, and it all works reasonably smoothly. Considering I built the double junction/threeway/single slip two years ago to O-MF standards it all works as it should, although one tiebar has been soldered too low onto a blade so shows a little 'bump' when traversing, soon to be remedied.

Anyway here are a couple of pictures from this afternoon:

post-14906-0-85738900-1507672063_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-33053400-1507672075_thumb.jpg

I also tested Brian's nearly completed 37 over the complex, and now I know why there was a single slip as the pick-up goods used to set back across the junction into the siding to drop the brake van, etc, before manoeuvring the coal/cattle trucks into the siding adjacent to the station.

Here is a bit of a long video, which took some doing whilst operating at the same time.

More soon

Jinty ;)

• Like 14

I've been playing catch=up with your thread Jinty, so referring back to the video of the Pannier, can i assume it carries a Digitrains sound?  It doesn't sound like the ZS012A that two of my locos carry but then again you are able to use vastly bigger speakers than I. The F-key#2 active brake is a boon especially when shunting and spotting Kadees over magnets. I specify it on all my sounds now (I only buy Zimo's).  

I find the F-key#5 for shunting rather duplicates #2 key. As for exchanging F-key activated sounds, I do this as a matter of routine but admit to loosing a couple recently and now have silent keys. I've also lost boiler hiss which is up in the CV700's if I remember correctly. I only wanted to reduce the volume but it disappeared altogether so I have to use F-key#8 blower instead. As you may have guessed, I find this whole DCC Sound thing fascinating and the only reason for a model railway.

I've been playing catch=up with your thread Jinty, so referring back to the video of the Pannier, can i assume it carries a Digitrains sound?  It doesn't sound like the ZS012A that two of my locos carry but then again you are able to use vastly bigger speakers than I. The F-key#2 active brake is a boon especially when shunting and spotting Kadees over magnets. I specify it on all my sounds now (I only buy Zimo's).  

I find the F-key#5 for shunting rather duplicates #2 key. As for exchanging F-key activated sounds, I do this as a matter of routine but admit to loosing a couple recently and now have silent keys. I've also lost boiler hiss which is up in the CV700's if I remember correctly. I only wanted to reduce the volume but it disappeared altogether so I have to use F-key#8 blower instead. As you may have guessed, I find this whole DCC Sound thing fascinating and the only reason for a model railway.

Hi Coachman,

I am a total convert to Zimo and both of the locos in this video and the previous Pannier video are Zimos.

I get my Zimo decoders and sound projects directly off Paul Chetter, and I was kindly allowed the Pannier sound project for Beta testing as Paul does the sound file for the factory Minerva.

I'm not sure if that particular project will be available separately.

I too find the drivability of these Zimo decoders so much better than the ESU's that I'd used previously, the F2 braking is a boon in itself.

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

Good evening all.

Firstly I have added a small 4' extension to Talyllyn Junction at the Merthyr end of the boards, this includes the 'Long Siding and a shorter siding as well as the main 'Single' line over this side of the triangle. I have also now conquered the Cobalts and have got them all programmed correctly now after a bit of a disaster the other night trying to address them, when they decided to change address by themselves!!!! A few nearly went through the window!! It turned out that there is some incompatabitily with my Roco Multimaus as when I plug that handset in as a slave controller, the Cobalts just won't work, but with the LH100 on its own and they all addressed correctly.

Secondly, I've now finished the wiring of the junction complex, a Hex Frog Juicer has been used for the slip frogs and the threeway frogs, and it all works reasonably smoothly. Considering I built the double junction/threeway/single slip two years ago to O-MF standards it all works as it should, although one tiebar has been soldered too low onto a blade so shows a little 'bump' when traversing, soon to be remedied.

Anyway here are a couple of pictures from this afternoon:

attachicon.gifTally 246.jpg

attachicon.gifTally 247.jpg

I also tested Brian's nearly completed 37 over the complex, and now I know why there was a single slip as the pick-up goods used to set back across the junction into the siding to drop the brake van, etc, before manoeuvring the coal/cattle trucks into the siding adjacent to the station.

Here is a bit of a long video, which took some doing whilst operating at the same time.

More soon

Jinty ;)

WOW, :O  Now the 37 not only looks the Bizzz but Sounds it as well, Superb mate, and now with the Extension, even more running.  :sungum:

Coachman,

The project in Jinty's pannier is a Minerva Models exclusive, only available factory fitted to a Minerva pannier model or possibly provided to cutomers whi originally purchased non-sound fitted panniers from Minerva.

Jinty helped me to perfect the project by Beta testing it during its development. It is not the Digitrains version, which I believe was created by Tony Molyneux whose projects have quite different characteristics from those that I create for Digitrains.

There is no need to specify working brakes with any of my ActiveDrive (for Digitrains) or ProtoDrive (my own) projects as they all, steam or diesel, come with the feature as standard.

(I specified and developed this feature with ZIMO, so I make the most of it!).

I would like to help you with your sound problems but I'm having difficulty identifying the project to which you refer.

ZS020 is the pannier, by Tony, but F5 is 'safety valves lifted' sound, not the shunting feature you refer to. There is no shunting feature listed on Digitrains site for this project.*

ZS012 is a Hall sound. Also by Tony, the same comments apply.*

*This assumes their website is up to date.

In many of my projects, F5 is for Light Engine (not shunting). This often has a different set of Exhaust sounds and always has lower inertia to simulate the increased acceleration and deceleration rates that a Light Engine, or lightly loaded train, displays. In my diesel projects it also usually delays the engine ramp up sounds (as light engines need less power to get them moving).

The actual shunting mode is usually up in the F20-F25 range.This mode has no inertia or momentum, and the speed is reduced to  half, or looked at another way you need to make twice the throttle movement to achieve the same road speed. This makes fine control more convenient. I absolute agree that once you embrace using the brakes for stopping there is a certain degree of duplication (one reason for it being so high in the F key list) but it does provide an alternative for those who do not wish to use the brakes or have not yet perfected their technique. I think that's rather better than haveing neither available. LOL.

A regards the sounds, you will not have lost them but you may temporarily have lost control of them.

There are three ways to re-assign sounds on ZIMO decoders:

1 ) The CV300 pseudo programming procedure

2 ) Directly with the appropriate CV

3 ) By using ZIMO Input Mapping (as described earlier in this thread)

The first two change the internal mapping of the project. They can both be reversed by 'undoing' what you did or using CV8 = 8 to reset all the CVs and the sounds will 'reappear'.

The third alternative is entirely non-destructive, merely instructing the decoder to respond in a particular way to F Key inputs without changing the internal mapping. ZIMO introduced this unique technique to make it simple for end users, without needing a detailed knowledge of the sound project, to customise the controls to suit their own needs.

Here's how to select the CV and  deduce the value needed to operate Z.I.M.

Take the number of the F key producing the sound and/or controlling the feature you wish to re-assign and add this to 400.

That sum is the CV number to use.

Decide which F key you now wish to use to operate the feature .

This is the value to use.

E.G. You wish to move a feature from F5 to F22.

Currently on F key 5, so 400 + 5 = 405

To be moved to F22

Make CV405 = 22 and now F key 22 will operate EVERYTHING previously controlled by F key 5.

One note of caution. If there is already something assigned to the 'new F key' (in this example F22) that feature will also be operated, so make sure the target F key is 'clear' before ZIMing.

Kind regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger

Hi Paul,

Thank you for responding. I will have a go at getting back the boiler hiss once the rain backs off. I'm waiting to set up CV's on a 'Crab'.  I have also taken on board your advice for changing sound assignments.

When I said I always specify the Fkey#2 active brake, I meant when buying from other sound producers than Digitrains such as YouChoos. All my old Digitrains  ZS012 sounds have been re-blown in recent weeks. ZS-12A is the better version with F-key#2 active brake.

I depend on third-party YouTube videos but these dont always give an accurate example if the person uploading the vid hasn't a clue. Digitrains need to assist customers by allowing them to hear sound samples on their website like some other sound producers.

Hi Paul,

I depend on third-party YouTube videos but these dont always give an accurate example if the person uploading the vid hasn't a clue. Digitrains need to assist customers by allowing them to hear sound samples on their website like some other sound producers.

You should tell them. I've been on at them for years. LOL

Actually, they are now making a start, though it's not always obvious.

They have a Facebook page with some recent videos. https://www.facebook.com/digitrains

If, on their website, you click on 'more onfo' for your target project you will find a copy of the User Notes and function list. If there is a video available there will be a link shown immediately below the title (but in red typeface instead of the blue normally associated with links).

Their YT channel is: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe_RpSr65Yk5D_yfHFDbz1g

Or you check out my YT channel for some that I've posted.

Kind regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger

Thanks Paul.

I wonder if you can help me. I have just been in the shed to set the chuffrate of a 'Crab'.  I ran it first  and all was well. Then I Entered F7;ENTER; CV ; ENTER ; 267 ENTER 65 (value). This gave 3 cuffs per wheel revolution so I went back to set  a value of 40 but I did something wrong. I did the f7 bit but i am sure I forgot to enter the CV267 and instead entered 40. There was a click from the loco and it moved back about a quarter of a wheel turn. After thta it refuses to go backwards or forwards. The whistle and everything still works though.

I tried factory reset of CV8 value 8 but the motor still wont go.  H E L P...

Thanks Paul.

I wonder if you can help me. I have just been in the shed to set the chuffrate of a 'Crab'.  I ran it first  and all was well. Then I Entered F7;ENTER; CV ; ENTER ; 267 ENTER 65 (value). This gave 3 cuffs per wheel revolution so I went back to set  a value of 40 but I did something wrong. I did the f7 bit but i am sure I forgot to enter the CV267 and instead entered 40. There was a click from the loco and it moved back about a quarter of a wheel turn. After thta it refuses to go backwards or forwards. The whistle and everything still works though.

I tried factory reset of CV8 value 8 but the motor still wont go.  H E L P...

Coachman,

I'll help if I can.

I have not created a Crab project, so this is not one of mine. (only important because I cannot easliy see the initial construction).

If it is one of mine but for a different loco, make sure the Brake Key F2 is not engaged. If the brakes are on, the sounds will play but the loco will not move.

I'm not entirely sure where F7 comes into this. What DCC system do you have? Is it one which cannot programme CVs higher than CV255? Are you trying to use the 'work around' for this? If so, it should be CV7 not F7 and you will need value 110 and CV167 to do so.

Notwithstanding all of the above, a successful reset will correct any mistakes you may have made.

Firstly, are you sure the CV8 = 8 has actually 'taken'. It sometimes requires more than one attempt and some DCC systems have better results on POM that Service mode programming and vice versa.

Surest way to test is to programme a new address, confirm that the decoder (sound in this case) responds to the new address. Perform reset. The address will revert to '3' when the reset is successful.

Now, assuming that the above has been done and the reset verified, all that you have programmed will have been 'undone' and all CVs returned to the state in which you received it from your provider.

If the model still does not move, check that there is no mechanical reason for this.

Check the wiring integrity.

Let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Paul.

Jinty, sorry about the thread hijack.

Jinty, sorry about the thread hijack.

No Hijack, all very interesting

Thanks Paul. PM sent just now.  I will see how I go on in the morning...It's too dark to go out to the shed to do any more with the 'Crab'. Apologies to Jintyman from me too for the hijack.

See above, no problem Coachman.

If you have any difficulty in writing CV's as Paul mentioned above, you are welcome to pop over and use my Lenz LH100 handset as I have both a OO and O gauge programming tracks and a yard of OO running line.

Ordering the Minerva Pannier this evening David....what have I set myself in for!  :locomotive:

The slippery slope of 7mm Tom, welcome to the club, and I can thoroughly recommend Paul's sound project if you go down the DCC route

Ooh I do like a Tally update, looking good Jints, glad to hear you got the cobalts sorted.

Best regards

Craig.

Thanks Craig, it was very near to requiring a couple of panes of glass!!!!!!

The 37 looks great David :)

Cheers

Thanks Paul

WOW, :O  Now the 37 not only looks the Bizzz but Sounds it as well, Superb mate, and now with the Extension, even more running.  :sungum:

Thanks Andy, you'll be able to have a go in a month!!!!! ;)

Glad you got the colbalts sorted jints,I find electrics the dark arts lol

The class 37 is looking and sounding awesome thanks for that I really Appreciate it

It's looking like lots of fun running the layout now

Brian

You're more than welcome Brian, after all you're the genius behind the Station Building and Tunnel

Regards to all

Jinty ;)

, it's addictive (and I'll learn to drive it properly too!!!).

Jinty ;)

A Nearly finished Talyllyn junction tunnel mouth

Just got to paint/attach the cable box and drain pipe add a bit of a smoke mark above tunnel ,then off Talyllyn junction attachicon.gifIMG_3816.JPG

Brian

Brian, that really is the Mutts Nutz ...... you lucky lucky Man Jints

Craig.

Edited by muddys-blues

A Nearly finished Talyllyn junction tunnel mouth

Just got to paint/attach the cable box and drain pipe add a bit of a smoke mark above tunnel ,then off Talyllyn junction attachicon.gifIMG_3816.JPG

Brian

As I said before Brian, awesome!!!

Can't wait now, as I think it will bring that end to life more.

Note to self: Must finish platforms!!!!!!

Jinty ;)