GWR De Glehn 104 with tapered boiler

• RMweb Gold

I'm collecting a SE Finecast bodyline kit of a GWR De Glehn Atlantic from SEF's trade stand at EXPO EM this Saturday, chassis and all the power train is now sitting on the work bench ready to be built but there are parts in the bodyline kit that are needed to commence.

It's the only kit of their's I never built when I started making them back in the early eighties so I'm trying my luck with it for the challenge. :swoon:

• 2 weeks later...

There have been quite a few versions of the Standard no.1 boiler over the years:

Wills / SEF (and they may now have a second one via NuCast)

K's

Westward

M&L/Alan Gibson

Finney

Mitchell

Falcon Brass

In a couple of cases, they don't come out quite as expected!

Beware the Will's Bogie. It has been made to the wheelbase of the original 'La France' which was shorter than the later two.

Here is the original version with the Will's 'short' bogie.

post-9992-0-48330800-1432490493_thumb.jpg

For years I could not work out what looked wrong at the front end. Here is the Swindon rebuild with corrected bogie.It is easier to correct the cut outs in running plate at this stage. One thing I forgot to do was remove the beading from splashers. I will get  around to it one day!

post-9992-0-39773500-1432490488_thumb.jpg

Enjoy. It is worth the effort. Then you can try shortening the Wills into 102 - a serious challenge.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Gold

Spent a good deal of time on the boiler over the week end, just a final dressing with the emery board and a coat of primer it should be OK to use.

post-8647-0-89244900-1432632404_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it was, I nearly bought one from SEF including the chassis earlier in the year, but decided that my first choice was a Beattie Well Tank in 7 mm scale which I picked up at Railex

I thought it was a good for me price, someone has had a go at building it and replacement footplates and cab sides have been included. As I said looks to be 2 chassis, a set of Romford drivers & gears and I am hoping its a MRRC 5 pole motor. Came to £72 inc postage, so saved me a few bob plus a possibility of a spare chassis.

I see another one part built sold for £77.50 + postage yesterday, etched chassis, Romfords and a MRRC motor. If mine turnouts to have 2 chassis then I do really have a good buy.

Today 2 Scalelink 7 mm scale window etches arrived, they seem to sell for £10 each, they cost me £7.90 + £1 postage, so well under half price 

Archived