Tillig Stockist

Enanjay

I'm considering Tillig for my next project ( likely to be based somewhere on LSWR main line in OO).

Does anyone know of shops in the West Country that stock Tillig track ?

I just want to take a look and see what it's like for myself.

I've used Peco code 75 for the past few years and although I can get a reasonable level of realism with that, I think I can do better elsewhere.

Nick  

There are now a few more Tillig Elite track stockists than there were only just a couple of years ago, when it was basically International Models and just two others.

Hattons now stock Tillig Elite and down in the west country, I see Kernow Model Rail Centre are listing the range.

IMHO having used International Models I had to wait for some considerable time, but with Kernow Models I had a much better experience. Just thought it was worth mentioning.

IMHO having used International Models I had to wait for some considerable time, but with Kernow Models I had a much better experience. Just thought it was worth mentioning.

I believe International Models changed hands a few years ago and the business moved to Scotland under new ownership.

Prior to that, service was very good, but I've no knowledge about the current business.

I would support bgmans experience. It all came but quick it wasn't and some stuff I had to wait months for due being out of stock (which wasn't clear when ordered). I used tillig point work for part of my layout then switched back to peco 75 with straight track c&l concrete sleeper flat bottom in both cases. I wasn't overly impressed with tillig tbh - if you do use I would recommend replacing the prewired connections with your own - I didn't and once track was in place they fell off leaving me a messy job to solder replacements in situ... You also have to be careful putting fishplates onto the ends of the rails as the pressure can damage the frog. Looks wise they are a slight improvement on peco but with the additional fiddliness I went back to peco. Hth Matt

Thanks Ron

I'll try Kernow (quite fancy a trip by train from Crewkerne to Camborne....)

Probably on a Monday - it'll make my heart stand still............

Enjoy your trip, especially if you go by rail, it's a lovely journey. The staff at Kernow Models are very helpful. On my last visit I asked for a certain item and they couldn't find it as it was an old item not asked for normally. I gave them my mobile no. and they said they'd have a good look for it. As I was almost at the station I had a call to say they'd found what I'd asked for and would I like it sending on?

I turned right around and went back to purchase it. Even though I've been there a few times I'd give them full marks if this had been my first trip.

I hope you find what you're looking for, and I must add that you will get a straight and honest answer in my experience.

I've no idea what Kernow's stockholding of Tillig Elite is, but if I were you I'd phone ahead of any visit, just to make sure it isn't a wasted journey.

Also, before considering using this track, I personally think it essential to obtain the English language edition of the Elite Track catalogue, to get an idea of the range and what sort of turnouts and crossings are available.

There is a wide variety, including some that at first glance may look similar to slightly different other ones, until you read the blurb and look at the dimensions and angles involved.

Also the range includes turnouts with slightly adjustable curvature.

At first glance the offering is not as straightforward as with the more limited Peco range.

Reading the brochure will give you a handle on what you might be buying.

A couple of other tips.

Tilling make 2 ranges of H0 track. The better one is the Elite range. This is the one to get.

I'm not aware of anyone in the UK stocking or selling the other range though.

If buying through mail order or online, consider ordering online from one of the reputable, UK friendly German model shops.

With the Euro to GBP rate at the moment, there are big savings to be made, even more so when discounts and special offers come into play.

It's no different than ordering from the other end of the UK, it's all in the EU so no importing involved, VAT already paid and delivery times are generally pretty quick.

The best have folk who speak good English if there are any problems.

p.s. Sorry, not what UK retailers want to hear.

• RMweb Gold

I'll try Kernow (quite fancy a trip by train from Crewkerne to Camborne....)

Probably on a Monday - it'll make my heart stand still............

Kernow site is showing no stock on every Tillig product I click on though they can order items for you.

I'm told by a former PW engineer that Tillig points are the most accurate for German track!  Practice there is significantly different to that in the UK, most noticeably in the sleepering and in the design of the point blades. Over 'ere, the sleepers are usually laid at right angles to the straight road: over there, the sleepers nearest the crossing/frog are laid at right angles to a line which bisects frog. In other words, if the point angle is 1:8, then the sleepers are laid at an angle of 1:4 - I hope that makes sense! The point blades (or the bits which move) are planed differently - they are effectively L shaped, not flat bottomed. The depth of the blades also varies along their length.

Of course, Peco points aren't that prototypical either .....

Hope I haven't confused the issue further more.

David C

• 4 weeks later...

Archived