BR livery HST set

It's probably been discussed to death on here before, but what is the best representation of a blue/grey era ECML HST set? In the past I've seen a very convincing mix of Hornby power cars with Joueff coaches. Any better ideas?

Yes, I'm aware of that, hence the question. I don't know if there's anything better available. Thanks. Maybe Hornby have done better Mk3 HST trailers since the 1980's?

Maybe Hornby have done better Mk3 HST trailers since the 1980's?

Some improvements as we expect but also some monumental muck ups such as no roof vents on the new buffet coaches.

Some improvements as we expect but also some monumental muck ups such as no roof vents on the new buffet coaches.

I think more than 'some'. If the OP is referring to the shorty 1980s Hornby Mk3s, he may not be aware that the more recent scale length versions are much better and can certainly be detailed to a good standard, they are better for HST trailers than the Jouef ones. They've also made plenty of buffets with the roof vents, it's just the latest releases that hve missed these off. For loco-hauled I would use Jouef, but for HST I would use the Hornby ones.

Blue Grey Livery.

I have one set of modern (full length) Hornby Mk3s in blue grey. Got a full set of 8 plus 2 power cars for £80 about 5 years ago at a show. Thankfully what look like curry powder "weathering" washed off.

On the plus they are flushglazed and whether or not the windows are tinted they appear dark when the coach is assembled. The buffers were easy to remove.

Only issues for me are the door locked light (post 80s) to the side of the door. On the Blue Grey's they are simply painted over. Until recently Hornby went for Western region versions, transfers can fix that. Except for the Buffet and TGS 125 was missing after Intercity on the coach sides, again transfers can fix this. By mid 80s most seem to have had Intercity 125 rather than just Intercity on the coach sides. For ECML 85 onwards(?) you are going got have to add a yellow stripe to your buffet as by then most had first class accommodation.

Intercity Livery.

By this I mean the original, as opposed to the Intercity Swallow version where the lettering on the coaches was in italics for want of a better description. The Intercity Swallow being a wee bit too late for my layout (that said it was a nice livery).

Have gone for Lima coaches for this rake, several reasons. firstly until v recently, Hornby only did the Intercity Swallow version. When they did come along I think Lima's light grey is better than the Hornby version. Thirdly one of the guys at the club turned his back on the 80s to return to the green diesels and black steam locos (no I don't know why either), it was only right I offered a home for some orphaned coaches!

The Lima coaches need flushglazed, Extreme Etching or Souther Pride. The finish was not so good, beware of the red stripe coming off especially if buying second hand and a price tag was stuck to it! Liam did not seem to be able to spray red and white stripe round the end of the coaches. All fixable. Having improved my Lima MK2s, I am currently flushglazing my Mk3 Intercity set. See the link for an idea of what am hoping to do to the Mk3s.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/96961-waverley-85-86/page-2&do=findComment&comment=1864035

Adding the yellow stripe is a bit of a pain, the yellow above the First Open is different to the Fox Transfers, so it will need to be added to the Buffet and put over the two FOs so they match. Interestingly the Intercity Swallow (Executive) yellow is better.

Prefer the shape of the Lima power cars, the blue and yellow match the grey on them is a bit different to the Hornby grey. The finish on them is not as good as the current and later versions of the original Hornby power cars one's, but with a bit of work, e.g. painting black round the windscreen edge they look good. Lima do the power cars without guards accommodation.

Mid 80s saw all blue grey sets, all Intercity sets and mixed, InterCity power cars with blue grey coaches seemed to be more common than the other way round. Less common still was mixed liveries within the coaches.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't referring to the original Hornby shorty Mk3's! So it seems the best bet may be a pair of s/h Hornby power cars with a rake of Hornby trailers with a bit of modification.

Archived