RMweb

Rolling back a Hornby T9 to pre-WW1 Condition

• RMweb Gold

Greetings chaps,

I'm in the process of sorting through my modelling cupboard and have unearthed a LSWR Hornby T9 which was passed on to me a year or so ago. I know that this version was produced replicating the version that 120 carried in 1962.

post-7376-0-06576900-1431857075.jpg

I have a couple of questions really that boil down to is it worth the work!

First of all body; which bit(s) would need removing/replacing to roll it back into a 1917(ish) version?

Second livery; does it replicate the 1917-1922 Urie livery, or was it a BR bodge?

Because if it is going to be a huge amount of time and effort, it will remain as it is!

Kind regards,

Nick.

• RMweb Gold

Swop it for a nice heavy freight 28XX ! :)

Haha! Well that thought did cross my mind!

I like the South West as a modelling area and really have no solid loyalty to either the ex LSWR or ex GWR! I likes the South West I does!

Regards,

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Quite a bit of work required, Nick, so the factory finish is going to be damaged in the process. A different smokebox without the extension and on a different saddle, a different chimney - much more elegant than the stovepipe, new sandboxes on the leading splashers. And I'm sure there are many more. Can't comment on livery, but would be inclined to leave well alone as she is very pretty. Sorry.

• RMweb Gold

Quite a bit of work required, Nick, so the factory finish is going to be damaged in the process. A different smokebox without the extension and on a different saddle, a different chimney - much more elegant than the stovepipe, new sandboxes on the leading splashers. And I'm sure there are many more. Can't comment on livery, but would be inclined to leave well alone as she is very pretty. Sorry.

Thank you Ian, I thought it might be a rivet too far! I think I might just enjoy her for what she is.

Regards,

Nick.

Haha! Well that thought did cross my mind!

I like the South West as a modelling area and really have no solid loyalty to either the ex LSWR or ex GWR! I likes the South West I does!

Regards,

Nick

Prior job! No.1 Rule eh?

Kind regards

Grahame

Happy modelling as ever :)

Only 6 of the class were superheated before the grouping. (300, 304, 305, 311, 313 & 314) but some of the early post grouping rebuilds were in LSWR livery.  120 wasn't superheated until 1927.  Not sure about the colour. 

• RMweb Gold

I'm not an SR expert (well you know that anyway :senile: ) but I seem to recall that when 120 was decked out in that livery it came in for a bit of stick as being 'incorrect'.  Alas  I'm not sure if that was 'incorrect' as in 'you've got the livery wrong mate' or 'incorrect' in  being 'that's the wrong livery for the engine in that mechanical etc condition'.    What I am not sure of is whether the livery is correct for an engine with a Urie superheated boiler with an extended smokebox and no wingplates although one source (Wiki, sorry) suggests the basic livery colour was  not changed when Urie succeeded Drummond - so the 'incorrect' bit might only be that 720 didn't get superheated in LSWR days  and thus never carried that livery in that condition?

I'm sure someone like Muz will be able to help.

Archived