Jessy1692's bits & pieces- Coaching stock and wagon bashing stuff with the odd loco

55 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

If you need some more James mine are going to proceed no further!

Mike.

Thanks Mike but I think 10 or so will be enough for my layout especially with a brake at each end.

One day I may have the room for length sets. I hope.

I did enjoy re reading the silver Queen thread on here and seeing Accurascale pop up on there for 'personal interest' and within a couple of pages they are announcing their's, I'm thinking there may be a few half started rakes out there.

Cheers

James

Edited by jessy1692
Wrong their.. too early

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

Not as in waste recycling surely!

I'm sure sure someone will fancy a bash at them on here?

It's whether they fancy paying the postage that is the problem, depending upon that it could be cheaper to go via ebay!

Mike.

17 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

It's whether they fancy paying the postage that is the problem, depending upon that it could be cheaper to go via ebay!

Mike.

Very true! Some seem to be going on ebay at a fair old price. Thankfully I managed to ferret out a couple of decent deals, god bless things being spelled wrong or not listed with too many key words

• Like 1

Small update on project Cemflo, I now have 10 tanks to length and ready for probably several rounds of filling and sanding. 

I didn't have much time after tea for modelling this evening so have just made up a chassis for one tank.

Gibbo messaged me with some details of his build so I copied his idea of chopping up the original chassis which would keep the headstock and axle boxes in a good square  form. After chopping out the chassis middle, I then carefully sliced down the front of the square Hornby axle boxes right down to the sole bar to remove all the detail.

16153281797909148563785218412571.jpg.45a23109a62a1f5947caf20136929536.jpg

This basically leaves you with the headstock and W irons, handily the plastic is that thick that I don't think pin point cups will be required as I first thought.

I then cut a 25×90 mm rectangle of plasticard to form the new floor of the wagon, a quick pass with the file behind the headstock and to the raised pips on the Hornby chassis it seemed to sit level with the top of the buffer beam so liquid poly applied and left to dry ensuring things look square I repeated it on the other end.

Adding the original weight adds a nice bit of strength but be careful to check the position of it on the chassis so the tank will fit centrally, I got lucky so will double check when I go into batch production.

16153290703456317797920111040703.jpg.1cde6890fa8ef7ef34c489071e4d4c6b.jpg

I then added 92mm length of 3.2mm evergreen I beams to create the new sole bars glued flush to the top of the new floor. Then I added some dummy axle boxes and springs I got from 51L BR roller bearing axleboxes which I think make all the difference, the wheel base is just slightly over the correct 60mm at 61mm but this way should be easily repeatable and cheaper than building a full new chassis. The Hornby axle holes are probably a tad low so the tops of the spring mounts aren't quite touching the new sole bar but I may chuck a bit of filler in. Once painted the gap won't be as obvious.

20210309_221537.jpg.70a65fb3196a80958b1eebaf25ad1244.jpg

That's about it for tonight but im pretty happy that I now have a plan for the chassis, I'll have to order some more axleboxes now as I only got 4 sets originally. These will be for the Gloucester build ones, still trying to find some UIC type to like the metro cammel build but I don't think any are available?

Still lots to do, don't worry the tension locks and buffers will be going soon. 

Cheers for looking

James

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

Right then Cemflo update time. Iv been a bit busy with other real world stuff since the last update but the Cemflos have been slowly ticking along. This weekend saw a big step forward and all 10 are now at the same stage, thanks to a few deliveries in this week.

All tanks now mounted on their chassis and underframe stuff has been added from various bits of plasticard and even bits of lego! The tanks are 7mm pipe filled with milliput and the ends domed off

A LOT of milliput has been used on the bodies and the under chassis tanks and this afternoon I used some more to represent the tank to chassis gusset plates rather than faffing with cutting strips of plasticard. These wagons are starting to feel pretty hefty now so no need for any extra weight.

Vac cylinders have been made up from 7mm & 6 dia pipes and mounted onto plasticard brackets, thankfully they are mainly hidden in the end overhang of the tank so it hides a multitude of sins.

Lots still to do, main one being the body side pipework and the distinctive strengthening plates for the sole bars. Buffers will be ordered this week all being well and some hand brake wheels too possibly. I may get some primer on soon too but ideally would like to wait until I have everything glued in/on.

20210321_224313.jpg.17a158c694c653bcc23c508a73bc89c8.jpg20210321_224319.jpg.87bdbf8c704ea8e2a3d687714394f302.jpg

20210321_224344.jpg.589013e3f99f947829cca99482021c8a.jpg

Cheers for looking in

James

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, jessy1692 said:

Right then Cemflo update time. Iv been a bit busy with other real world stuff since the last update but the Cemflos have been slowly ticking along. This weekend saw a big step forward and all 10 are now at the same stage, thanks to a few deliveries in this week.

All tanks now mounted on their chassis and underframe stuff has been added from various bits of plasticard and even bits of lego! The tanks are 7mm pipe filled with milliput and the ends domed off

A LOT of milliput has been used on the bodies and the under chassis tanks and this afternoon I used some more to represent the tank to chassis gusset plates rather than faffing with cutting strips of plasticard. These wagons are starting to feel pretty hefty now so no need for any extra weight.

Vac cylinders have been made up from 7mm & 6 dia pipes and mounted onto plasticard brackets, thankfully they are mainly hidden in the end overhang of the tank so it hides a multitude of sins.

Lots still to do, main one being the body side pipework and the distinctive strengthening plates for the sole bars. Buffers will be ordered this week all being well and some hand brake wheels too possibly. I may get some primer on soon too but ideally would like to wait until I have everything glued in/on.

20210321_224313.jpg.17a158c694c653bcc23c508a73bc89c8.jpg20210321_224319.jpg.87bdbf8c704ea8e2a3d687714394f302.jpg

20210321_224344.jpg.589013e3f99f947829cca99482021c8a.jpg

Cheers for looking in

James

Hi James,

I looked at my Cemflos a couple of days ago, although only by opening the cupboard looking in and then shutting it again, before going off to do something other than toy trains. I think I over did it building all that 1830's stuff last month!

I'll give it a week or two see if I pull my finger out.

Gibbo.

1 minute ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi James,

I looked at my Cemflos a couple of days ago, although only by opening the cupboard looking in and then shutting it again, before going off to do something other than toy trains. I think I over did it building all that 1830's stuff last month!

I'll give it a week or two see if I pull my finger out.

Gibbo.

Evening Gibbo I have been thinking it's gone very quiet on the Gibbo modelling front, thought you may have gone fully into 1830s mode and we're sending hand written updates into RMweb towers!

I am enjoying the Cemflo project but repeating things in a multiple of 10 is a little much,I should have learned lessons from the freightliner and HAA sets I did last year and not try do too many at once. Having said that I think most of tricky/time consuming stuff is done now on these. The thing that's got me wondering now is the body side pipework centre filler/connector and what I can fashion 20 out of without too much faffing, any thoughts?

Cheers

James

Cemflos are looking excellent James. Must admit I find repetitive stuff very tedious and generally lose my mojo around the same time. Doing the same jobs on a 2 car DMU can have that effect, but cutting and shutting a dozen or so wagons would certainly do so! 

Nice work.

Martyn.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Cemflos are looking excellent James. Must admit I find repetitive stuff very tedious and generally lose my mojo around the same time. Doing the same jobs on a 2 car DMU can have that effect, but cutting and shutting a dozen or so wagons would certainly do so! 

Nice work.

Martyn.

Cheers Martyn, they definitely got a bit repetitive but just pushed grided it out, i think the lack of anything else to do really helps. If it wasnt for Lockdown i think they have been started but pushed to the back of a box waiting for a rainy day.

Managed to get some varnish out yesterday so will have some PWA bits and bobs on the way this week for you too.

Cheers

James 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

Evening Gibbo I have been thinking it's gone very quiet on the Gibbo modelling front, thought you may have gone fully into 1830s mode and we're sending hand written updates into RMweb towers!

I am enjoying the Cemflo project but repeating things in a multiple of 10 is a little much,I should have learned lessons from the freightliner and HAA sets I did last year and not try do too many at once. Having said that I think most of tricky/time consuming stuff is done now on these. The thing that's got me wondering now is the body side pipework centre filler/connector and what I can fashion 20 out of without too much faffing, any thoughts?

Cheers

James

Hi James,

Other than brass or copper wire and the usual bits of Plastruct rod I can't think of anything, it is likely the kind of thing that I will be using.

One of the main reasons for not much work on the toy trains is that as well as being busy last month I have been rebuilding the bathroom, the weather is improving and also the worse thing ever, work has started picking up. That work nonsense has really cramped my style.

Strangely unlike both you and Martyn I quite like a working on a big old batch of items all at once. Building, painting and transfers, when I'm in the mood I just get it all lined up and work through it all. The biggest trouble I have is that I have is that for every job started I have another ten that I might think about and stopping myself from doing more is quite a challenge.

The nearly started box is, as usual, quite full with all sorts of stuff the Cemflos being just one job. The Cemflos were thought about and then started before I got onto building nearly fifty L&MR wagons and coaches and half a layout to put them on. Other nearly started stuff includes a pile of class 86's, DMU's, cranes, loads of diesels, far too many coaches and shed loads of wagons., and that is just the early 1970's BR Blue stuff.

As for actually being quiet at the moment, my gaps in production are no longer than some folks rate of posting so it may be a frame of reference observation that you have made !

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
Spelling

1 hour ago, Gibbo675 said:

Strangely unlike both you and Martyn I quite like a working on a big old batch of items all at once. Building, painting and transfers, when I'm in the mood I just get it all lined up and work through it all. The biggest trouble I have is that I have is that for every job started I have another ten that I might think about and stopping myself from doing more is quite a challenge.

Hi Gibbo,

I think in my case I enjoy making something once, then want to move onto something else. Production lines don't really do it for me I guess! The current lack of inspiration is mainly due to no Club visits, exhibition deadlines, toyfairs, or even model shops to visit. I do have a couple of projects left to start but the box of "one day" projects is looking rather sparse currently, which probably doesn't help!

Hopefully the malaise will pass soon.

Martyn.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Hi Gibbo,

I think in my case I enjoy making something once, then want to move onto something else. Production lines don't really do it for me I guess! The current lack of inspiration is mainly due to no Club visits, exhibition deadlines, toyfairs, or even model shops to visit. I do have a couple of projects left to start but the box of "one day" projects is looking rather sparse currently, which probably doesn't help!

Hopefully the malaise will pass soon.

Martyn.

Hi Martyn,

If you ever run short of projects I could send you a list of stuff to choose from if you want to help out, how much clutter do you want on your bench !!!

Gibbo.

• Funny 2

7 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi James,

Other than brass or copper wire and the usual bits of Plastruct rod I can't think of anything, it is likely the kind of thing that I will be using.

One of the main reasons for not much work on the toy trains is that as well as being busy last month I have been rebuilding the bathroom, the weather is improving and also the worse thing ever, work has started picking up. That work nonsense has really cramped my style.

The nearly started box is, as usual, quite full with all sorts of stuff the Cemflos being just one job. The Cemflos were thought about and then started before I got onto building nearly fifty L&MR wagons and coaches and half a layout to put them on. Other nearly started stuff includes a pile of class 86's, DMU's, cranes, loads of diesels, far too many coaches and shed loads of wagons., and that is just the early 1970's BR Blue stuff.

As for actually being quiet at the moment, my gaps in production are no longer than some folks rate of posting so it may be a frame of reference observation that you have made !

Gibbo.

Evening Gibbo, yeah iv got some copper wire lined up but on the hunt for something I could recycle easily for the central thing, itl probably end up with some plastruct rod/pipe like you say.

As for posting, I think I got accustomed to the fast pace of the 1830s stuff you were posting nearly daily, I think iv been missing seeing what contraptions you were modelling there!

I think I may be slowing down shortly, my house is being packed up ready for a move and have had a text from the other half stating I need to move my wagons... 

5 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Martyn,

If you ever run short of projects I could send you a list of stuff to choose from if you want to help out, how much clutter do you want on your bench !!!

Gibbo.

Thanks for the offer Gibbo, but I think I may have found an additional project I wasn't planning, having realised the Brake Van section of my Bachy class 105 DMBS is wrong for the Scottish batch.....I'd just resprayed it blue too. Oh and it should be a power & trailer combo rather than a power twin, so the DTC underframe is also wrong, of course I had rebuilt it a while back due to missing/damaged bits. Annoying when you realise after the work is done! Not sure how such an oversight occurred but hey ho!

Martyn.

37 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Thanks for the offer Gibbo, but I think I may have found an additional project I wasn't planning, having realised the Brake Van section of my Bachy class 105 DMBS is wrong for the Scottish batch.....I'd just resprayed it blue too. Oh and it should be a power & trailer combo rather than a power twin, so the DTC underframe is also wrong, of course I had rebuilt it a while back due to missing/damaged bits. Annoying when you realise after the work is done! Not sure how such an oversight occurred but hey ho!

Martyn.

Always the way isn't it finding things after painting! How frustrating, but the big question is now you know can you live with it?

Cheers

James

1 hour ago, jessy1692 said:

Always the way isn't it finding things after painting! How frustrating, but the big question is now you know can you live with it?

Cheers

James

Not sure. A cut and shut of the Brake Van area wouldn't be particularly difficult normally, only the Scottish version went to the extent of the double doors being the opposite orientation to the Bachmann ones, meaning even more cuts are needed to get it right, you couldn't make it up!

I'm tempted to use the chassis elsewhere and chuck the bodies in the bits box, but more than likely I will go the cut & shut route and sort it to something I am happier with.

Martyn.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Not sure. A cut and shut of the Brake Van area wouldn't be particularly difficult normally, only the Scottish version went to the extent of the double doors being the opposite orientation to the Bachmann ones, meaning even more cuts are needed to get it right, you couldn't make it up!

I'm tempted to use the chassis elsewhere and chuck the bodies in the bits box, but more than likely I will go the cut & shut route and sort it to something I am happier with.

Martyn.

You really couldn't make that up! These things are sent to test us. I'm sure you can make it right though, how frustrating.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Martyn.

Hi Martyn,

Good luck with whatever your chosen route there. I always have a good look on Railcar.co.uk, and even then I get confused and make mistakes, I put the wrong number of lamps on my Gloucester 100 for that very reason. The Metropolitan Cammell 101's have a similar carry on with reversed guards doors as I had a job sorting out numbers for a DC kits power twin with the added trouble of what kind of rain strip it might have.

Both of the above are part of my nearly started collection !

Gbbo.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, jessy1692 said:

You really couldn't make that up! These things are sent to test us. I'm sure you can make it right though, how frustrating.

15 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Martyn,

Good luck with whatever your chosen route there. I always have a good look on Railcar.co.uk, and even then I get confused and make mistakes, I put the wrong number of lamps on my Gloucester 100 for that very reason. The Metropolitan Cammell 101's have a similar carry on with reversed guards doors as I had a job sorting out numbers for a DC kits power twin with the added trouble of what kind of rain strip it might have.

Both of the above are part of my nearly started collection !

Gbbo.

Thanks chaps,

Gibbo, I read through the "Railcar" site Class 105 detail differences some while back (there are several pages) so goodness knows how I got it so wrong. I swear blind last time I read it it said the Scots 105s were power twins, and Batch 3 (as per Bachmann) but nope! It does use the word twins in one or 2 areas, as in 2 car sets, but not POWER twins, and they are from batch 4/5, which had the same cab front layout as batch 3. I'd checked photos regarding the brake van area too, but again, I got it wrong, possibly looking at later photos when other batches had been transferred.

This page explains the batch variations well:

https://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-105/variations

There are even BR diagrams* showing the van differences so I must have somehow tied the number series to the wrong batch. It is indeed very frustrating!

*To add confusion, the BR diagram for batch 4/5 is noted as incorrect, having the double doors shown handed wrongly compared to photographs, ie Guards door is on the right, not left as shown on the diagram!!

Anyway, apologies James, please forgive my ramblings. On the plus side I don't think my conscience will rest so perhaps it will galvanise me to dig out my razor saw and take Class 105 matters in hand!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Thanks chaps,

Gibbo, I read through the "Railcar" site Class 105 detail differences some while back (there are several pages) so goodness knows how I got it so wrong. I swear blind last time I read it it said the Scots 105s were power twins, and Batch 3 (as per Bachmann) but nope! It does use the word twins in one or 2 areas, as in 2 car sets, but not POWER twins, and they are from batch 4/5, which had the same cab front layout as batch 3. I'd checked photos regarding the brake van area too, but again, I got it wrong, possibly looking at later photos when other batches had been transferred.

This page explains the batch variations well:

https://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-105/variations

There are even BR diagrams* showing the van differences so I must have somehow tied the number series to the wrong batch. It is indeed very frustrating!

*To add confusion, the BR diagram for batch 4/5 is noted as incorrect, having the double doors shown handed wrongly compared to photographs, ie Guards door is on the right, not left as shown on the diagram!!

Anyway, apologies James, please forgive my ramblings. On the plus side I don't think my conscience will rest so perhaps it will galvanise me to dig out my razor saw and take Class 105 matters in hand!

No worries Martyn, we all need a good ramble to vent the frustrations! Slightly reminds me of lettering up my blue stripe containers with freightliner branding instead of British Rail. I even had a pic open on my phone for reference whilst I applied transfers and didn't spot it until Gibbo pointed it out on here. Admittedly it was much easier to sort than your current predicament but these things are easily done I suppose.

• Friendly/supportive 1