Jessy1692's bits & pieces- Coaching stock and wagon bashing stuff with the odd loco

8 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

I have the current product/price list somewhere if you'd like me to scan it in Cheesy?

Cheers

James

I would be very grateful if you could do that, as I need various “bits” and it would be helpful to have an idea of how much it will all add up to!

Enjoying reading your workbench thread, and certainly will help me when I tackle my own pending projects.

Steve S

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

I would be very grateful if you could do that, as I need various “bits” and it would be helpful to have an idea of how much it will all add up to!

Enjoying reading your workbench thread, and certainly will help me when I tackle my own pending projects.

Steve S

Cheers Steve, I'll see if my dad is about a lunch time today to see if I can grab it to scan in from work this aft. Keep you posted

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

Evening Clive, it's one of the 1st models I really hacked about a few years back now, it's a lima 50 with Lima Deltic roof added in with some extra grills from a Lima Western planted on a Lima Deltic chassis. All made up as I went along but based on an outline drawing of the Class 50 style super deltic

blogentry-5804-0-24169000-1314916256.jpg.add7c391e52c0860a15a4cfc5608882c.jpgblogentry-5804-0-73527300-1369179193.jpg.232bf5f52151eac5ef989f983d8b80fc.jpg

It's just recently had a railroad 59 power bogie fitted In place of the Lima pancake, infact the side frames are actually white metal cast 37 ones from Dave Alexander I believe with A1 models Class 50 cab steps.

I'll try grab some more pics next time I'm up at the bench, it's still sitting on the fuelling road penned in by TEA tanks.

Cheers

James

Hi James

Thank you, I like it. But.....................

I always thought D700 looked like this.

D700.png.9167906bd0cc404e72ca85db24d04dda.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi James

Thank you, I like it. But.....................

I always thought D700 looked like this.

D700.png.9167906bd0cc404e72ca85db24d04dda.png

Ah well, as it was a test it obviously had a very heavy rebuild at somepoint, a demonstrator for class 50 styling perhaps?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well I havnt got much done over the last couple of weeks, time just seems to vanish.

I was up at the bench today and was in the mood for chopping things up. I have been collecting up old Hornby coaches for the last few months to chop about so cracked on today.

1st up was a BFK which fell together pretty easily:

20211106_225717.jpg.0fc29020b860237ac110596c53878514.jpg

After that I had a go at a lounge car, basically an FK but with converted compartments on the toilet side. My Dad came up with the idea as we gave some spare blue pullman window strips kicking about and the lounge car looks about right for them. The Hornby carriage was chipped about to get the correct windows in the right places and then I cut a slot for the trimmed down Blue Pullman window strip to sit. It's not perfect and not quite dimensionally accurate for the windo spacings but looks OK from 3ft to us.

20211106_225712.jpg.2f22ff8208a64d6b7f16146acfe53aa2.jpg20211106_225735.jpg.de3e31b1388fca07094c22bf66de035a.jpg

I'm leaving everything to go off fully over night and hopefully tomorrow evening I'll bob up to start filling up the gaps and tidying up.

Lots more to do on these, roof vents, end details, new bogies etc but I'm pretty pleased with how they look so far. Also lowering the ride height and moving bogies in 2mm help massively.

Cheers

James

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

8 minutes ago, rka said:

These look good, I have around 60 kitmaster mk1s to do similar with. 

I like the lounge car idea. 

Wow! With 60 kitmasters you will be able to make a fair few rakes up, also they'll make into great models with that flush glaze and to me they have a little more finess than the triang ones.Keep us posted when you start work on them, will be great to see the results.

Cheers for the feedback on mine, the lounge car is just a bit of fun, very much in the if it looks about right then it is right camp. Its really enjoyable chopping these up too, slightly addictive as iv been up early researching other options to bash.

James

17 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

Have to admit, chopping MK1 coaches into other versions is fun. I have about 9 hatchette to play with. 

Why so many? I was attracted to the glazing and the price lol.

Same here! Original plan was to buy up Hornby bsks's to chop into SO/SK but found a fair few going cheap recently so stocked up, leaves the triang stuff for other interesting stuff. BSO or BCK probably next up, then I'll be delving into to depths of catering vehicles I think, seems a lot to read through..

Cheers

James

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

Explain why me has not been able to get one. Been wanting one with the better glazing to use the sides with hatchette chassis. Need one or two, as well as a CK to make a rake up for "the jolly fisherman" rake.

The newer Hornby stuff with the better glazing is hard to get tbh. I got very lucky and got a rake of 5 newish railroad maroon cks and bso and bg plus a replica bg for a song. Usually ebay tip of search for badly spelled and described stuff. Just won a mk2 bso for 1.99 when iv seen them go for 10 quid or more recently.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Hi James,

I like what you are doing with the Mk.1s, nice work, the Lounge car is nice and different too. As you say it can be fun chopping them up to make something else. Moving the bogies inboard and lowering does indeed make a worthwhile improvement.

My biggest bugbear with the old Triang/early Hornby versions is scraping off the horrible moulded paint dividing lines (for want of a better name) without shaving off door handles etc, it's something I still have not perfected!

Nice work.

Martyn.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I have to agree about the old triang coaches and the paint lines. One of the reasons I like chipping up the hatchette mk1s. And the nice lining down the side at waist level make lining them up easier. Also, the most I have paid is £6, which when you consider how prices in the hobby have shot up in the last 2 years, makes them a bit of a bargin.

When you total up what I am spending on chopping them up, I don`t think I am saving that much, but it is fun, in a addictive sort of way.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

Hi James,

I like what you are doing with the Mk.1s, nice work, the Lounge car is nice and different too. As you say it can be fun chopping them up to make something else. Moving the bogies inboard and lowering does indeed make a worthwhile improvement.

My biggest bugbear with the old Triang/early Hornby versions is scraping off the horrible moulded paint dividing lines (for want of a better name) without shaving off door handles etc, it's something I still have not perfected!

Nice work.

Martyn.

Cheers Martyn, thanks also go to you as I was looking through your conversion for the BFK which kick started that one off, the lounge car followed very shortly afterwards.

The paint lines are a real pain, but we'll worth the effort to take them off.

Unfortunately iv had a woeful lack of modelling  time since the last update, need to get some time at the bench!

Cheers

James

• Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

Hi James,

Nice work.

Martyn.

Cheers Martyn, thanks also go to you as I was looking through your conversion for the BFK which kick started that one off, the lounge car followed very shortly afterwards.

The paint lines are a real pain, but we'll worth the effort to take them off.

Unfortunately iv had a woeful lack of modelling  time since the last update, need to get some time at the bench!

Cheers

James

8 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

When the Tri-ang based Mk.1s were reintroduced by Hornby in the mid-'80s they had got rid of the paint guides. There was also flush glazing and redetailed roofs; previously the CK, BSK and BG all shared the same CK pattern roof.

Cheers Bernard, I knew Hornby tweaked them over the years but they seem to be either rarer or more expensive for my Yorkshire spending! I'm more than happy butchering the 60 year old ones and scraping the sides down to save a couple of quid. I did strike it very lucky and got 5 new railroad mk1s and a replica bg for 50 quid last month, one of them rare decent bargains on ebay these days, these are the core of my maroon set, all the old mk1s iv acquired are for the chop to go into blue.

Iv had the day off today so took the opportunity to get cracking on some bits after being a tad busy for last couple of weeks.

20211119_194934.jpg.2af31ab756c40a34380d00ca4ddfb79c.jpg

First up was getting the APCM van just about done, I chucked on a bit of mucky paint and wiped off with cotton buds etc and then once it had gone off got the transfers on. I'm really pleased with this, final bits still to do such as varnishing and silver round oleo shanks and rigging up couplings but it's just about there. Rounds off the Cemflo rake nicely.

20211119_194943.jpg.aa01f751ffed574a11a9cc81cbb14049.jpg

I got another TEA tank ready for primer, this brings the rake up to 4 now ready for painting, 2 more to go and I need to get some more bogies ordered. To finish these off I'll be making my own transfers, just about finalised the artwork so these should move on swiftly given time.

Finally, the BFK and Lounge car have moved on, I sanded and filed the filler and got some primer on, all looking good and the second round of filler is in and hardening.

20211119_194943.jpg.aa01f751ffed574a11a9cc81cbb14049.jpg

20211119_194952.jpg.f4dfb63d72baae746fea9c6a61711280.jpg

Iv been told I need to clear the desk before starting anything else so I'll be trying to get the 4 TEA'S sorted first. The MK1's will be a bit slower as I need detailing bits but I really want to crack on with my 009 Barber kit, PoP Train, 47 901 and also some MK2d's iv acquired..  could do with a month off work and life tbh.

Hopefully more soon

Cheers

James

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Small update for this eve, BFK & Lounge car sanded back again so ready for another primer coat tomorrow. I'm clearing off the various bits of MK1's laying about so have started a BCK to use up a BSK and half a CK, one side completed and the other still to do. My Dad is currently on with an early FO with the central door and silly little windows either side, it's not glued up as yet but should look a bit different.

20211120_231500.jpg.9c2be5d935f0dcf52ef8dfd1bed71d33.jpg

I should be back at the desk tomorrow before Leeds game so hopefully will have filler in the BCK and the other two if needs be. Best start making a list up of detailing bits to order.

Cheers for looking.

James

• Like 4

• jessy1692 changed the title to Jessy1692's bits & pieces- DHP1 & whatever else appears on my workbench- APCM PVV van + Hornby TEA fettling and now MK1 cut and shuts
2 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Love the socks lol.

The door with the twin small windows will be interesting. I have been trying to think of a way of doing this set up myself. Will be watching for tips.

Cheers Cheesy! I'll get a snap later when I'm back, I think it'd a very much if it looks right it is right job for that one 1st. Looks like he's copying a pic of Clive Mortimers build for it.

11 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Love the socks lol.

The door with the twin small windows will be interesting. I have been trying to think of a way of doing this set up myself. Will be watching for tips.

20211121_152139.jpg.0e6725a817d042e047f1bd35986d065c.jpg

Here you god @cheesysmith lots of cuts and just been glued up, fair bit if filling to go into it.

Cheers

James

• Like 4